Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Limited Slip Diffs

Limited Slip Diffs

Another question from me - you can tell I've used the car lately, it brings to mind all manner of jobs I may want to do to it :-o

I've got a Gripper diff fitted, which was good for track use but rather aggressive, clonky and noisy on the road. It also screwed up the handling, with so much grip at the rear it promotes dreadful understeer under power, switching very quickly to lift-off oversteer if I back off at all (more than the standard Strat behaviour, which is saying something). Have messed a bit with suspension settings a bit to reduce that, though not sorted yet. On track, with cornering forces loading up the front, it behaves better.

At a very wet Zolder, the diff was still working a bit too hard, kicking the back sideways every now and then as it appeared to have some lock-up between the wheels on long curves. Maybe, or maybe not, related, I was finding that gear changing got harder once the car/box had warmed up. That might mean gearbox on the way out though I don't know if it is the case or not.

Will look at changing the box oil and putting in fresh oil, with friction modifier for the lsd, to see if the gear change and diff behaviour improves.

Any other comments or experiences of the Gripper diff out there?

Other option I am considering would be to fit a Q2 viscous-type diff onto my spare gearbox and swap over the to that. Fitting an uprated clutch whilst doing it, because I do not enjoy gearbox swaps on the Hawk.

Question is, with the Alfa 164 24v, five-speed gearbox: does the speedo drive still work if a Q2 diff is fitted into the tramsmission?

If not, what have others done about the speedo?

Thanks in advance,
    John Rutter

Re: Limited Slip Diffs

Hi John,

I have just fitted a Quaife diff to mine and transferred the nylon ring gear that drives the speedo from the old diff to the new one. This meant removing one of the taper bearings to get the ring off but that wasn't too much of a problem.

Regards

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by STR_Strat View Post
    Hi John,

I have just fitted a Quaife diff to mine and transferred the nylon ring gear that drives the speedo from the old diff to the new one. This meant removing one of the taper bearings to get the ring off but that wasn't too much of a problem.

Regards

Dave
    Had that done to put the drive ring onto the Gripper diff assembly, but wasn't sure if that was possible with the Q2 diff being fitted into the older (5-speed) gearboxes, whereas I expect it to be fine on the later 6-speed units.

Wasn't aware Quaife actually put an Alfa diff into production. Had asked about them numerous times in the past but they never seemed interested unless someone wanted to buy a couple of dozen. If that's a torsen-style diff, I reckon that would be a good all-rounder, great for both track and road use. The Q2 would be more suited to road use, I'd think, though could be completely wrong about that. An open diff ok for most road use, until leaning on it and getting an inside wheel lifting and spinning under power.

Cheers,
    J.R.

John some other threads on here around this. Q2 is not viscous but Automatic Torque Biasing as per the other Quaife ATB designs. The Quaife ATB drawings look exactly the same as a Q2.
    Even the people selling them are now referring to them both in the same web page as the same thing. One comes in a box with Alfa Romeo on the other in a box with Quaife on. Do an eBay search if you can't see the other threads, the page there speaks of both. ( and they do fit either 5 or 6 speed) speak to AT spares about Q2 they were the cheapest at one time.
    I've used one for several years now and very progressive and easy to live with on the road or track.
    Rob
    Last edited by Sando; 02-09-2012 at 08:32.

Cheers Rob - somehow thought Q2 was viscous, so being an ATB design should be better still.
    Assume that when you say it fits both boxes, the speedo drive can also still be used?

Rgds,
    John

Hi John,

Here is the link to the one used. No problem with the speedo drive using a 5 speed box.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo...9#ht_733wt_907

Dave

Thanks - had just found that supplier after Rob's info.

Will see if fresh oil and friction modifier makes the lsd and gearbox behave a bit better, but can see me getting one of these fitted at some time if I want to get more road use out of the car. Then again, maybe just put up with the clonking, so long as gear-changing still works!

Cheers for the info guys
    J.R.

Bit more info from this supplier on their site, btw, referring to ATB and Quaife.
    http://www.autolusso.co.uk/performan...ferential.html

And a thread discussing the Quaife/Alfa Q2 differences here
    http://www.alfaowner.com/Forum/alfa-...-q2-diffs.html
    Last edited by rutthenut; 02-09-2012 at 11:40. Reason: added alfa forum link

SEC Member

If you fit a Quaife atb diff, would X1/9 drive shafts on Gerry's adapter be up to the job or would a stronger drive shaft be needed.
    Cheers

I've never heard of X19 driveshafts being fitted to a Hawk before, only Lancia Beta. There needs to be a weak point in the driveline somewhere, preferably somewhere cheap and easily replaced and that's usually a CV joint or a driveshaft, they tend to shear at the end of a spline and hopefully the rubber boot will keep the remains in place until you stop the engine.
    Try it and let us know?
    Guy