Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is the Lancia Beta lump worth any effort

Free user

Is the Lancia Beta lump worth any effort

I have a brilliant Hawk/transformer coming into my life and it was built with a Lancia Beta 2 liter in it. I am torn about keeping and driving it for a bit on this motor, or heading for the high country (Alfa or Ferrari 3 liter). Since it has been sitting, I will need to give the engine some attention if I intend to put any miles on it. Is it worth bumping compression and doing cams and carbs or will I find it unsatisfying and have wasted my money?
    Any thoughts on whether the Ferrari v8 is worth an extra $8k? Both motors sound great and make similar power.
    thanks!

Re: Is the Lancia Beta lump worth any effort

If it's running with the current motor I'd suggest getting to know the car and it's build quality before you start spending serious money on it. A 2 litre Beta ought to produce 120bhp in standard (European) trim but might be as low as 85 if it's a low compression US/emissions motor. You'll end up spending a fortune building this motor up to a reasonable power level (higher compression pistons/inlet manifold with twin 40's and cams) but 180bhp is achievable. Guy Crofts book on the Twin Cam is recommended if you want to go this route.

Conversion to the V6 Alfa in 12 or 24 valve form should see these levels of power (and better torque) for similar money but with an unstressed motor. The downside is that there are some modifications needed to the chassis to fit the Alfa (or Ferrari) motor. New mounts, driveshaft spacers and relocated steady brackets plus upper gear linkage mount, the gear linkage also needs revision plus a new exhaust.

Long term the V6 is the route to go and it's something that I'm really glad I did to my Transformer/Hawk.

Guy
    Last edited by Guy Mayers; 17-12-2014 at 23:20.

Guy Croft's books are very handy if you do modify the Beta unit. It lists which standard Fiat/Lancia pistons you can fit to raise your compression, plus just about anything else you can think of. There is also a lot of good info on his forum if it's still up and running, haven't checked for a while.
    Paul.

Sat in a real one, may never wash again!

i am agree with Guy,
    when i bought my car (ALLORA) it was with an Lancia Beta Volumex (140HP) and the car runs well,
    but the engine sound and torque is not like a Stratos.
    So i have decided to rebuild it with an V6 12V Alfa i remember it was a lot of work!
    but when i drive it now i know it was the right decision.
    saluti Enzo

For my Ten Pence worth...........

Eric started life with a 2000 Twink.... It was very "busy" through the gears... ie constantly changing gear for peak performance..... also the handling was quite "twitchy"..... light on the backend which exagerated liftoff oversteer

Once the V6 was installed the car seemed to "settle down" and with the extra torque the Eric was transformed into a "proper car"

Good luck with whatever you decide to do as we all have differing views.... it wouldn't do for us all to be the same !

Cheers

Phil

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2010 Abingdon 068.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	94.7 KB 
ID:	7611ERIC

A Volumex engine should be a straight swap, and they're not hard to get another few horsepower out of either. It's quite a torquey engine.
    Paul.

The Volumex engine is indeed a straight swap but they are getting much harder to find these days. Don't be tempted by a Fiat fitment though, it's a different set up due to the angle the Lancia lump is tipped back by. I also suspect that finding one in the USA might prove problematic! If you're going to update from a twink then the V6 is the way to go. If you've already got a Volumex then uprating it is very easy using 1600 cams, slightly larger choke on the carb and gearing up the supercharger, should be an easy 180 - 200 bhp.

Guy

Free user

Even a 164 engine is a problem. There are a couple but they are scattered far and wide. Keep in mind that I am almost 2000 miles from either coast and 1500 miles from the northern border if I am looking for only a domestic source. We did not get many Italian cars in the nineties. No Alfa's at all after 95'. No Lancias after 80'. Not sure when Fiat went away, but it was about that same time. The x19 was sold as a "Bertone" here.
    I may have a line on a great parts car(164s), but it is 2100 miles away...
    Last edited by mr2by4; 18-12-2014 at 19:40.

It shouldn't be expensive to get some pistons and cams, and you could save some cash by fitting them yourself. If it was me, I'd enjoy it as is for a while with maybe a few easy performance mods, while looking for and alternative powerplant and gearing up to modify the car, then when you're ready you'll have everything at hand.

Pistons from a 1585cc Lancia Beta engine will raise the 2litre engine compression to 10.8:1, and as stated above the cams from a 124 sport 1608 will give approx 8 more horsepower due to the longer duration. It all helps.

I carried out some Guy Croft mods on my old Volumex coupe and it went like a rocket, he knows his stuff when it comes to the normally aspirated twin cams.

Just checked Midwest Bayless, they have pistons and cams as per above.
    Last edited by Fingers; 19-12-2014 at 05:40.
    Paul.

i am not 100% sure but this engine looks like it works in an Stratos!
    and it's easy to find in the states.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Fiero V6.jpg