Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415 LastLast

Thread: Transformer arrives in Colchester

Re: Transformer arrives in Colchester

If damper if correctly determined ; its the shock absorber piston to be the stop to full extended stroke (to prevent CV and spherical bearings issues)?????

And probably as soon as springs are becoming stiffer and stiffer some "spring helper" will be need to leave residual pressure on main spring for centering it

As stated choice of springs have been always a "compromise" and a scratch head in beetwen "calculations"( so many sophisticated formulas existing )and "realty" ( only test can seriuosly help)
    Last edited by LM mic; 16-12-2016 at 17:34.

Quote Originally Posted by colin artus View Post
    Cheap solution is to fit some sort of limiting strap; a droop limiting cable from lower spring pan to chassis or (depending on spring length) tie wrap the springs to lower and upper pans.
    I think I will be going for a correct damper extension. My research says the Gaz dampers have a 6 inch extension. I have spent the afternoon checking and measuring. Beyond 6 inches the drive shaft has no further play and starts to pull out of the inner CV joint at 7 inches it is possible to pull it right out due to the free movement gained in the inner joint. I am quite satisfied the installation of the engine is correct with shafts being horizontal with weight on the axle, and angled slightly back from the engine to rotate the cv ball bearing.

With 325 lb in springs they compress 2.5inches laden but without driver/passenger. I am happy with this as approximately the midpoint on a 5.75inch suspension travel.

Re: Transformer Transformed

After 2 months rebuild of of steering and suspension Shades finally came out of the workshop and into sunshine. A short test drive of some 20 miles showed that she is Transformed and has much nicer steering feel than previously.

I can sense self-centring which was not there before.

So what did I do:

Found minuscule play in steering rack track rod (replaced with new/remanufacured unit from Rimmer Bros
    Found play in the bottom steering shaft/rack knuckle (bolt loose)
    Found adjuster seized on front Spax coil overs (replaced with Gaz coil-over 325 lb units)
    Had LEDA shocks rebuilt by LEDA and fitted higher rate 325lb springs.
    Set bump steer to mild toe in on both compression and droop (<.6mm over max travel)
    Set corner weights
    Set Caster to 5degrees
    Set rear camber -0.3deg
    Set Front camber -1.0
    Front toe-in 1.5mm per side
    Rear toe-in 1.0 mm per side
    Tyre pressures 24psi
    Adjusted ARB push rods as they had changed after all this adjusting.
    Ground clearance measured at front back of tub 178mm Rear 168mm front.

Happy with this as a starting point!

A long time since I posted but another hurdle navigated.
    Last edited by Lancialulu; 05-04-2019 at 22:34.

David

Sent you a PM.

Tim

Its over 2 years since I thought I had sorted the handling of Shades, but a few drives early this year made me think something was still not right.

Then I happened (by accident as I was fiddling with the oil temperature sensor) to find the offside rear wheel had some lateral play (ie it could be wobbled from side to side giving variable toe- in). Nothing in the vertical plane.

The culprit was (were) the 2 41/2 inch 7/16 UNF bolts holding the base of the hub carrier to the inverted uprated inverse wishbone. Both had worked loose by virtue of the movement of the suspension.

A couple of MOTs ago this looseness had been picked up and I had tightened it all up. But obviously it had come loose again. And it was similarly loose on the nearside too!

As one of the bolts seemed to have a poor thread I replaced all the bolts with new 7/16 Grade 5 self coloured and new nylock nuts. Gerry suggested using lockitite as well which I did.

I torqued to 50 ftlb. I checked today after a 150mile run and they are still tight. More importantly the car ran as stable as I can remember. Lets hope it lasts...

Sad day as Shades is now destined for France under new ownership and duties.

This should not mean another Strato’s project will turn up in Colchester sooner or later.....

Quote Originally Posted by Lancialulu View Post
    This should not mean another Strato’s project will turn up in Colchester sooner or later.....
    'Glad to hear that Tim.
    Did you get a lot of interest on Car and Classic?, and where do see secondhand Hawk prices these days?
    Obviously without disclosing any actual selling prices.

Quote Originally Posted by ProtoTipo View Post
    Did you get a lot of interest on Car and Classic?, and where do see secondhand Hawk prices these days?
    Obviously without disclosing any actual selling prices.
    C&C was quite until end Jan then went a bit mad. Most but not all interest from EU including far away places. I think my price was realistic for the quality of the car. This is always the subjective part of pricing especially when there are few on the market. I could have got more if I converted to LHD but not necessarily more than the cost of doing so. My philosophy is to always leave something for future purchasers (of anything).

SEC Member

Glad to see you've finally got shot of the old nail. Maybe get a decent one next time, eh?

I am, of course, kidding....I know you said you enjoyed driving the Hawk the most out of your fleet, so methinks another Stratos will be finding its way onto your drive at some point! Congrats on the sale, and good to see people willing to pay proper money for proper cars, meaning money spent on keeping them in good order will never be wasted.