Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Michigan Member

Free user

New Michigan Member

Hey guys.
    I'm looking into buying a Lister Bell Kit. I haven't decided what engine I'm going to go with yet except its going to be different...

My goal is to start my build by 2020 as I have a house to build and masters school to finish. this car has been a dream of mine ever since I was little with a dream to be a Ferrari Engineer.

I am an automotive Engineer working for Chrysler and I am a former FSAE member from Cal-Poly Pomona (a tech school in California).

I am still in negotiations with the wife haha. I told her she could drive it when i finish it and help build the motor. She likes technical stuff but shes having a hard time justifying the expense even though it will all be my money.

Maybe some of you could say how awesome these cars are haha. Has anyone taken one to sand dunes? They are popular here in Michigan.

I know I'll want to autocross occasionally, would the better suspension off of Lister bell be a necessary upgrade?

Anyways, Ill be asking about "different" engine platforms and shipping information for starters.

Hopefully someone from Michigan will see this and let me and my wife see their car. (another selling point)
    Last edited by MooglyMoog; 28-02-2017 at 17:32.

Re: New Michigan Member

Sand + Stones ; why not

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1979 Lancia Stratos Concessionari Italia n2.002 'Tony'-Mannini 01_ Sanremo 1979.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	53.4 KB 
ID:	10948

Name:	téléchargement.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	13.2 KB 
ID:	10949

Name:	541174.jpg 
Views:	183 
Size:	111.9 KB 
ID:	10950

So possible result ;

Name:	images.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	13.6 KB 
ID:	10951

Welcome and good luck with your project

Welcome.

If you want something 'different' I can point you to a guy in the UK that does a 500+ hp n/a V6. Based on a 370z block. Bit expensive though!

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by LPH_UK View Post
    Welcome.

If you want something 'different' I can point you to a guy in the UK that does a 500+ hp n/a V6. Based on a 370z block. Bit expensive though!
    That actually sounds pretty cool. How expensive?

I was thinking 4G63 turbo. It's the closest semi Chrysler engine I could get with a manual trans. DSM motors. =)

Free user

Welcome.

Do you guys know if anyone has fit a HEMI in these? Would it package?

Personally I would recommend sticking with one of the previously developed engine installations unless you have the ability to engineer your own engine mounts, gear linkage, exhaust system, fuel system, & coolant pipes, etc. Your job would suggest you do fall into this category of course. For the LB there are packages available for any of the transverse Alfa V6 motors, the Ferrari 308/328 V8's & the Toyota 2GR-FE. These options give you power options from 190 through to at least 350Bhp which I think most will agree is more than adequate for a short car like the Strato's. Hawk & Corse replicas have been fitted with engines such as the Integrale turbo, Beta Volumex supercharged, Honda V6, Thema Turbo, Dino V6 etc. I think that there are a number of 4 cylinder turbo engines out there these days which will run rings around the old Alfa V6 but with the engine options out there these days then the V6 soundtrack is an essential element to go with the ethos of the car. The exception for me is the 308/328 motor which whilst having too many cylinders has the right badge & is positioned correctly in the car with the correct diff housing etc.
    The issue with the Turbo cars is the complication they introduce with regards to charge cooling. There is simply no airflow in the engine bay to run with a straight forward air to air intercooler. The next alternative is to fit a charge cooler but the radiator for this really needs to be mounted up front which in turn leads to some serious plumbing and a possibly bespoke radiator to avoid compromising the standard coolant system. It has been done (see Turbonutter's thread on this forum) but it isn't easy.
    Last edited by Strat Fan; 04-03-2017 at 08:55.
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Free user

Quote Originally Posted by Strat Fan View Post
    Personally I would recommend sticking with one of the previously developed engine installations unless you have the ability to engineer your own engine mounts, gear linkage, exhaust system, fuel system, & coolant pipes, etc. Your job would suggest you do fall into this category of course. For the LB there are packages available for any of the transverse Alfa V6 motors, the Ferrari 308/328 V8's & the Toyota 2GR-FE. These options give you power options from 190 through to at least 350Bhp which I think most will agree is more than adequate for a short car like the Strato's. Hawk & Corse replicas have been fitted with engines such as the Integrale turbo, Beta Volumex supercharged, Honda V6, Thema Turbo, Dino V6 etc. I think that there are a number of 4 cylinder turbo engines out there these days which will run rings around the old Alfa V6 but with the engine options out there these days then the V6 soundtrack is an essential element to go with the ethos of the car. The exception for me is the 308/328 motor which whilst having too many cylinders has the right badge & is positioned correctly in the car with the correct diff housing etc.
    The issue with the Turbo cars is the complication they introduce with regards to charge cooling. There is simply no airflow in the engine bay to run with a straight forward air to air intercooler. The next alternative is to fit a charge cooler but the radiator for this really needs to be mounted up front which in turn leads to some serious plumbing and a possibly bespoke radiator to avoid compromising the standard coolant system. It has been done (see Turbonutter's thread on this forum) but it isn't easy.
    All good things to think about. Engine mounts and exhaust and coolant lines aren't something I am worried about. Charge cooler placement and proper airflow are definitely thing I had not yet put into consideration.

Part of this project for me is going to be an engine build so a developed engine isnt my first choice. (If the alfa v6 was easier to get in USA that would be my choice) Since the alfa v6 is rare and the next best is Toyota, originality isn't a huge concern for the engine bay.

However, a high revving v6 would be nice. Since I work for Chrysler, a Chrysler engine would be a big plus for me personally.

Quote Originally Posted by MooglyMoog View Post
    That actually sounds pretty cool. How expensive?

I was thinking 4G63 turbo. It's the closest semi Chrysler engine I could get with a manual trans. DSM motors. =)

Erm - about £15k+ I think. Can check if you are really interested. Should be over there on Wed this week.

Free user

Erm - about £15k+ I think. Can check if you are really interested. Should be over there on Wed this week.
    Ha, yeah, that's a bit out of my budget. I am curious how high it revs though.

Quote Originally Posted by MooglyMoog View Post
    Ha, yeah, that's a bit out of my budget. I am curious how high it revs though.
    I'll ask when I'm there on Wed and report back