Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: CUMBRIA TOUR/DRIVE-OUT - SAT 19th August 2017

SEC Member

CUMBRIA TOUR/DRIVE-OUT - SAT 19th August 2017

Guys 'n' Gals,

I'm organizing an informal wee run around some little-known bits of Cumbria on the above date. This is something I do fairly regularly for a bunch of pals in a variety of cars, and I wondered if any of youse lot fancy a go. Doesn't have to be in a Stratos - we get a wide variety of motors varying from Porsches and Focus RS's to oldies like a Corrado VR6. The usual format is to meet up, go for a wizz around a pre-set route (which you're given well in advance so you've got an idea where you're going!) over some "suitably interesting" roads (with the odd stop for a cuppa and cake), and then toddle off home. But this Cumbria one is a bit different, as it involves a stopover on the Saturday night.

The hotel is already arranged - it's the DAMSON DENE HOTEL, on the A5074 in the Lyth Valley, and is 3-star with facilities such as spa, jacuzzi, pool, etc. Cost is 60 per person for dinner, bed and breakfast for the Saturday night after the run (normal price for this is 180 per double room, so it's a 33% saving). I imagine if anyone wants to stay on the Friday too and make a weekend of it, we can likely get the same price (but I've not explored this option yet).

All I need at the mo is a statement of intent from anybody who'd like to come. Once I've got numbers I'll be talking to the hotel again and sorting what sort of deposit they require. If you're interested, drop me a line ASAP as I need to tell the hotel how many rooms we actually need - they're only holding them at the moment on an informal basis. Also, if I can't get a minimum number the discount disappears as well, so soon as you can, please!

For those who normally can't get their disinterested/scared-to-death Significant Other to go anywhere near the passenger seat, this could also be a good opportunity for them to spend a pleasant day chilling out in the pool or having a massage, or going for a walk or grabbing a taxi to Windermere or wherever, while you hoon about seeking new life and strange civilizations (this is Cumbria, remember), and visiting places you've never seen before (and maybe will never want to see again..).

So come on, take a chance on what could be a truly life-changing experience (one way or another). Who knows, you might even enjoy it!

Laterz!

The (Social) Norm

P.S. I'll be at Stoneleigh on Sunday if you wanna discuss it further....or you can run away if not :-P
    Last edited by Normb666; 27-04-2017 at 20:06.

Re: CUMBRIA TOUR/DRIVE-OUT - SAT 19th August 2017

Congrats the (Social) Norm for sorting this out.

Lets hope the roads are still there..... Will explain on Sunday..

Yes Put Jayne & Ian down for this.

Already spoken to you about it but yeah, stick myself and Sara down, please. Will double check the dates!

Sorry we are at Tatton Park that weekend, shame, speak to you on Sunday

regards John & carol

SEC Member

Ian, your name is now inextricably bound to The Gig. Ta for taking a leap into the unknown! But what d'you mean about the roads still being there? Is someone stealing them? Could they be selling them on to a 3rd-world country that doesn't have many of its own?? If I see a road sign that says "END" will I fall off a cliff??? Sunday can't come quick enough....my interest is truly piqued!

Rich, yeah, you're on the list too - got you a room next to the kitchens, so after you've done the washing-up you can fall straight into bed. Just like being at home, eh?

And Carol, shame you can't make it cos of Tatton - but seeing as you live up in Cumbria, and I'm not that far from Tatton, maybe we could swap over and save some petrol? See ya Sunday - I'll just look for the girl with the green face and the weird eyes, or ask for Tharg the Mighty. Do I get a discount on regalia if I bring a copy of 2000AD?

Any more for this? Speak now, or...er...don't.

Well Norm.........

Carol, John, myself, and the good wife spent several weeks in the lakes planning and plotting a route for the club to do over 2 days.
    It was all done and we just needed to go round the route and make sure there was no left turns when it should be right when it started to rain again....and more rain.....and more rain.

It was the weekend when the lake district was flooded in a major way including bridges being washed away etc. Some of the roads we had mapped out are no longer! indeed it was touch and go if we could get back home at one point and its only due to local knowledge by J&C that we did.

So far I understand they have still to open all the roads, but when they do................be prepared....!!

Hi Norm, spoke at Stoneleigh and should be up for this one!

Guy & Andrea

Norm

Further to chat on Sunday, please could you put me down for 2 persons Friday and Saturday nights. A twin bed room would be good, because at this stage I do not know will be coming with me.

David

SEC Member

Ahhh, the Famous Flooded Fiefdom of Cumbria thingy. Well, you'll be pleased to know that no part of the route is affected - in fact, your wheels should stay remarkably dry, unless it's raining (very likely) or you drive off a bridge/into the sea (possibly). I checked on the Cumbria County Council (or whatever it's called) website for closed roads, and we're good according to that. I'll also be driving the route at some point too, in case of other probs with road closures etc, and to get timings between refreshment stops.

At the mo I've got 8 deffo's for rooms (top peeps), and several who just want to do the drive (anti-social cheapskates). I'll be securing those rooms with the hotel later tonight or tomorrow, and if anyone else wants in, then post here or drop me a PM (not Teresa May, thanks). I'll see if they'll hold the 10 rooms I actually asked them to reserve up till the weekend, but I imagine there'll be space after that anyway, although at that point they can't be guaranteed.....oh, you know what I mean.

So those who I spoke to at Stoneleigh who expressed an interest, can you remind me who you are please - I wasn't taking notes and as an Official Old Git, my memory's deffo on the fritz...

More info as I get it - I'll also ask about Friday night as well, for anyone who's travelling a distance and fancies staying such as David above, rather than getting up at stupid o' clock to get to the start.

Watch this space, but not too much or you'll get very bored :-P

SEC Member

Hi Norman, if there's space on the day I would be keen to come along for the ride around. Not sure if I will bring a passenger or not, so my offer a seat to some maybe.
    Cheers