Thread: Stratos Register details

Stratos Register details

There's a good reason for me asking the following:

Do you all think it's ok, or not, to display car details (including the reg. number) on the register, without asking each owner's permission first?

I reckon you'd end up with a pretty incomplete and pointless register, if the above was a requirement.

SEC Member

Re: Stratos Register details

That's a really difficult question in this day and age Chris.
    As we all know data of any kind is like a currency. While the motivation of true enthusiasts for the knowledge contained in the register is probably purely out of interest, the motivation of the other growing number of scumbags in the world for that information is probably less altruistic.

It has always been a tricky one Chris, I've taken the view if people publish pictures of their cars with number plates displayed, it's OK. Otherwise you have to ask them.
    A confidential register, open to no-one bar a select few, is not very attractive.
    There is no reason why we cannot have a two stage register, where people can opt out of various details.
    It does get complicated where there are registration plate changes, owner changes, engine changes and changes of colour schemes..... with no-one notifying the club.
    You can end up with a lot of duplication, if you are not careful.
    Needless to say, although I have tried to collect these, there are very few records of chassis numbers.
    Struan
    The best-laid schemes o' mice an 'men
    Gang aft agley

Virtutis Gloria Merces
    www.jadefarms.com

What we do at LMC is send out a census form to all members (for current and past cars). Obviously this is then for members consumption with strict no proliferation rules. This by definition is not a complete register.....

What's happening is that I'm working with Struan to help keep the details up to date.

However, now that I've got some responsibility for the register, I'm wondering how much members actually value it.
    I'm also questioning how legitimate it is too?
    The more feedback the better.

Thanks.

I personally can't see an issue with storing the make, model, regitration number and engine type in a register that's viewable by club members. All of that information could be found if the car was driven down a public highway and someone do a vehicle check using one of the many 'MOT history check' apps etc that are readily available on smartphones. The only thing they wouldn't get from that would be the owner's name.

I suppose there is a slight worry of theft by someone using the owner's name to find an address on an online phonebook - especially if the owner is a member of the forum, and posts their hometown on the members map. I can't imagine these cars get stolen very often (if ever???), due to the fact that they'd be pretty tricky to sell on. That said, I hear of plenty of Vincent motorcycles being stolen and they never seem to resurface, even in parts!

Quote Originally Posted by StruanR View Post
    It has always been a tricky one Chris, I've taken the view if people publish pictures of their cars with number plates displayed, it's OK. Otherwise you have to ask them.
    A confidential register, open to no-one bar a select few, is not very attractive.
    There is no reason why we cannot have a two stage register, where people can opt out of various details.
    It does get complicated where there are registration plate changes, owner changes, engine changes and changes of colour schemes..... with no-one notifying the club.
    You can end up with a lot of duplication, if you are not careful.
    Needless to say, although I have tried to collect these, there are very few records of chassis numbers.
    Struan

I spoke to Gerry at the last show and he was willing to let us have "Some" info about the cars that have been sold. that should help find some of the missing 100's of Hawks out there.

I think the register, was and is still a good idea for those of us less like Chris and Co who can recall the year and show they saw a car at, heck I cant remember what I was doing last week!!! old age I think.

My 2 pence worth!