Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alfa 3.2l V6 Engine

Free user

Alfa 3.2l V6 Engine

Hi all,

I apologise for joining to post on a purely selfish pursuit but in short, I have a mechanically sound Alfa Romeo GT 3.2l V6 (2004) with 99k miles. Very smooth and pulls strong. Good service history with all the essential work carried out (cambelt etc replaced at 85k). But... it has rot along both sills (surprise, surprise) and won't pass it's MOT next month. The repair bill is unknown and quite off-putting. After some discussion with my mechanic, he suggested that the engine may be of interest to Stratos owners as the kit car's mounting is designed specifically for this engine?

If this is correct, would this engine (attached to a car!) be of interest to anyone? As the car is still perfectly drivable, the engine is fully testable. Any advise you might be able to afford me will be greatly appreciated and I suppose this might lead to another post in the 'for sale' section.

I'm based in Belper, Derbyshire. The car is Lipari Grey with tan leather.

Thanks,
    Neil

Moderators: Please move this to the
    classifieds section if I have incorrectly posted
    Last edited by NeilC; 26-09-2017 at 22:35. Reason: Possible wrong forum location?

Re: Alfa 3.2l V6 Engine

Hi and thanks for posting - I may well be interested in buying the car as a donor, I've got a 12v 164 motor out for rebuild this weekend but after 8 years of not running it may be beyond help.
    I'll PM you.
    Cheers
    Guy

Fit the 24 valve engine Guy.
    Just remembered what David May had said to me a few years ago, the ecu won't work as its too tied into other systems so you'd probably need a emerald, omex or dta.
    Last edited by strat24v; 27-09-2017 at 00:53.

Free user

Just a couple of photos to give you an idea of what it looks like. Thanks to all those who have contacted me thus far.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5139.jpg 
Views:	134 
Size:	121.9 KB 
ID:	12012Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_5140.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	147.6 KB 
ID:	12013

Cheers,
    Neil
    Last edited by NeilC; 27-09-2017 at 15:33.

And what price are you looking for?
    Or did I miss that bit?

Quote Originally Posted by strat24v View Post
    Fit the 24 valve engine Guy.
    Just remembered what David May had said to me a few years ago, the ecu won't work as its too tied into other systems so you'd probably need a emerald, omex or dta.
    Thanks for that piece of info John, I'd forgotten about that. It'll double the price of any transplant so I'm beginning to think that the 12v route is my best option. If this one had been a goer I was contemplating taking the motor and box out of the Stratos 1 for Stratos 2 and dropping the 3.2 into Stratos 1. Only slight advantage is that I have the registration docs and chassis plate for the current motor which would then do for IVA. Big downside is having to work on 2 cars at the same time in a single garage and not having one to drive at all..... I'll know more next week when Howard strips the engine I'm dropping off on Saturday....
    Another potential option is an engine and box from AutoLusso (North or South) with Jenveys/Omex fitted but I'm really thinking this donor isn't for me. I think Neil ought to consider welding it up and keeping it!
    Guy

SEC Member

Looks nice. I'm tempted to get the welder out myself!
    You can always change the engine number onto the donor V5 in these circumstances. Without the car being on the road or MOT'd. Perfectly legal to do so.

Neil, don't bin the Alfa for the sake of welding parts of sills, here speaks the owner of a Lancia beta!!! You could try Roger Evans at Peak Alfa, not a million miles from Belper.
    Also anyone considering the phase three motor, I do believe it has a higher road tax cost.

I think my mates Alfa GT is a 2004 or 05 and he has just welded his sills up, not a world ending job.

Tim.

Free user

Thanks Tim. Another helpful member on here suggested I let Automotive Solutions & Racing (in Langley Mill) have a look and give their opinion.

Up until now, all I've been told is that the cost is unknown. It's not until you start peeling back the layer will you know the extent of the damage and what it might cost to repair. I'm not very mechanically minded so I'm at the mercy of the advice I'm given. We think that the problem was caused because at some point in it's lifetime it was dropped on it's sills and wasn't repaired properly; and the rot has been building underneath the botch-job for who knows how long.

It is a shame because the car drives really well. I guess I'm just scared of taking on a money pit; getting out now could be less stressful.

I'll definitely speak to Peak Alfa. So far, I've only spoken to Alfa Tecnico as they are the closest to me. They are nervous about what lies beneath.

Free user

We also suspect that when it was dropped, it also buckled the front left inner wing as the outer wing doesn't line up parallel with the sill; if you follow the line of the sill, where the front wing cups over the sill just behind the front wheel, it tapers out at an angle. I was too focused on making sure all the mechanicals were correct when I bought it and just chalked up all cosmetic issues as easily fixable. You live and learn, as they say!