Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 166 3.0 Manual Box

166 3.0 Manual Box

Re: 166 3.0 Manual Box

Well, thanks to Chris for posting the link I ended up buying the car and had it delivered here on Tuesday. Today is the first time I've had a chance to look at it in daylight and run it. Impressions getting it off the trailer in the dark weren't great, gear selection was stiff and horrible but it started and ran beautifully. Blurb on the website spoke of a cam belt and water pump recently. The paperwork that came with it confirms that it was done 18,000 miles earlier but the invoice is from 2008. So it'll need doing again soon. Bugger.
    Today I dismantled enough to get to the top of the gearbox and removed the selector shaft from it's housing, sanded it down to remove the slight corrosion, sanded the housing and greased and reassembled it all, it's better but not right yet, gear lever doesn't self centre yet but I'm hoping a little warming and use will improve that. I've run it up to temperature too today and it sits at 90 degrees at idle no problems, rev it and it rises until the fan kicks in and settles back nicely. All the seats/windows work as (not) expected but the stereo isn't playing yet, it says it needs a code entering but I have to wait an hour with the ignition on to enter that... The car came with two radios so I'm guessing one won't work! Hopefully one of the two codes I've got is the right one?
    Minor issues are an injector light that's come on and no direction indicator warning lights on the dash plus a scrape on the rear door, drivers side that couldn't be seen in the pictures and a couple of other minor scratches. The spare is flat and there's no jack ratchet/wheelbrace. I'll have to sort those as I will use the car over winter to make sure it's mechanically sound.
    All in all nothing to worry about except the injector light.. Off to change the antifreeze as it'a going to have to live outside, the garage is otherwise occupied!

Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mayers View Post
    Blurb on the website spoke of a cam belt and water pump recently. The paperwork that came with it confirms that it was done 18,000 miles earlier but the invoice is from 2008. So it'll need doing again soon. Bugger.

Guy
    I would be doing the timing belt at the earliest opportunity if it hasn't been done since 2008.

I may well have a jack & wheel brace lurking, will also have a usable spare if you require it.

Welcome to the world of 24v's
    "You can lead a horse to water, but a pencil must be lead"
    Stan Laurel

Congratulations for this nice purchase!
    Do you intend to use this 24v engine and gearbox for your current build?

Hi Guy..... It may also be worth dropping the water pump off to be clear in your own mind that it is the metal impeller version..... It will only cost a gasket and a little bit of time.

I was amazed at the condition of the plastic impeller on Nellies engine..... It was just totally f&&ked !

Plan is to run it up to Autolusso in Penrith at the earliest opportunity for a cam belt, idler and water pump service and will get the oil done at the same time. The current build is staying 12v but I'm considering this for my own car once the second car has been finished and sold. In the meantime I'll use it to stop me running the miles up on the 159 Q4. It's just had it's coolant drained and replaced with fresh so it should be good for winter. Injection light went out of it's own accord but something isn't right if it comes on.... Probably a MAF? Tried connecting an OBDII reader to it but it couldn't connect for some reason.

Guy

Sounds like a nice plan Guy!!

It's a pity I'll have no time enough during my trip in England next week end to visit you and see all of these!

Frederic

Indeed Frederic, paths will cross sometime I'm sure but I'm away next weekend anyway!

I'm sure we'll meet again with our cars another time ...Stoneleigh or Silverstone maybe!
    Perhaps your build will be completed at our next meeting

If you can't get your radio working I have the radio / sat nav unit out of my donor car together with the code. Was working fine before I stripped the car.