PDA

View Full Version : Service items required for 3.0 12V

][\/][ajor
18-07-2012, 00:18
Hi - Still a bit new here so be gentle and gladly point me in the right direction if the info is under my nose in another part of the forum.

As some of you may know I have recently bought Dave Atkinson's Hawk HF3000 and as it's been off the road for 4/5 years I want to change all of the usual serviceable items such as plugs, leads, distributer cap, timing belt etc.. I don't have the info of the car the engine was removed from but I do have the engine number - AK06410*003671* - I tried calling into the local Alfa Romeo dealer today but he said they needed a reg number to assist.

Any pointers on where to source these from please?

As an additional note I believe Dave had some sort of manual tensioner installed for the cam belt and i believe he changed the water pump last time the belt was done. I think I recall reading somewhere that the water pump needs replacing when the belt is changed. Is that correct?

All help, guidance and advice will be greatly appreciated so feel free to offer it and thanks in advance.

Steve

Allora#2
18-07-2012, 09:12
Hi Steve,

it's not AK06410 it's AR06410
here the part list: http://img.partsbase.net/car/alfa-romeo-164-164-30v6-164a

Saluti Enzo

Sando
18-07-2012, 09:18
Hi Steve
shouldnt need to change the water pump again! I'm sure it would have been changed to a metal impeller type, which was the issue. There are some Alfa dealers out there that will help but they are the exception. If you can get a copy of the parts CD you may have more luck just quoting the part number you require. There may be someone here who has spare copy for a 12v.
Dealer prices are sometimes good sometimes extortionate so I'd say shop around for service parts, so long as you stick to quality brands.
Try EB Spares
or for a dealer Desira in Norwich a few years ago they were the most helpful parts dept I could find for tracking down bits and cross referencing, but depends if the same person is still there. They will post out.
Rob

][\/][ajor
18-07-2012, 09:46
Thanks Enzo & Rob

I'll check with Dave if it was the metal impeller installed.

Does anyone know the reason for the change to a manaul cam belt tensioner from what i would assume was some form of automatic adjuster. Have these been know to fail and would the manual item need to be checked and adjusted every now and then?

Steve

NoCorseChris
18-07-2012, 11:29
Mangolettsi are good for spares as well if you have the part number. Use them a lot.

Re the tensioner - most of the 12V motors had a hydraulic de-tensioner fitted, and they leak. Spares for them are difficult to obtain as well, so some folk converted to the fixed-adjustable type that you have, others (me included) fitted the later thermo-mechanical type much hated by many. Personally, I never had a problem with the thermo-mechanical type - you just need to be careful when fitting & adjusting them. The one on a 155 V6 I had did well over 100k miles.

For a low miles much fettled car as it's likely to be, nowt wrong with what you have, just don't set it too tight when cold and check it from time to time. The 164 engine has a fairly low-profile belt tooth, the later engines had a better round form tooth with more engagement so it's a case of not too tight, not too loose!

Also, when doing the cambelt, get hold of the cam timing template and use that on the ends of the cam pulleys, don't bother with the internal hand-applied notches on the cam bearing caps.....they can't be trusted, and it's much easier/more accurate using the larger more visible template...plus, if you KNOW the valve gear is OK, you don't need to take the tops off to do it either.

Some good info here http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/40519-alfa-164-12v-cam-timing.html You should find the template on that site too.

When doing the service, do check the condition of the exhaust cam followers - the 12V motor has an appetite for them....quickly followed by the cam lobes.

HTH

Skelly
18-07-2012, 12:29
Re- Cam belt tensioner
Does anyone know where i can get a manual tensioner from.
Cheers Alan

NoCorseChris
18-07-2012, 13:58
If you have a decent bearing on the hydraulic one, converting it is simple enough. Remove hollow pivot bolt from the block, weld up the end and re-ft it. Plug the oil return hole in the bock, remove the hydraulic guts and replace with a suitable arrangement of bolt and nuts to provide the adjustment.

Guy Mayers
18-07-2012, 20:14
Re- Cam belt tensioner
Does anyone know where i can get a manual tensioner from.
Cheers Alan

Just bought one from here! It might not arrive in time for the end of the rebuild in which case I'll have an overhauled hydraulic one and a spare mechanical one on the shelf!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ALFA-ROMEO-MILANO-GTV6-164-V6-TIMING-BELT-TENSIONER-OEM-/300386712675?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item45f0717c63&vxp=mtr#ht_500wt_1219

Shipping is $20 and hope it's small/light enough to slip through customs without getting tugged!

Guy

john
19-07-2012, 10:46
Does that come as a kit with the bolt and block plug too?
Not mentioned in the script.

Guy Mayers
19-07-2012, 14:19
Don't know - I'll post when it arrives!Guy

NoCorseChris
19-07-2012, 16:44
Ah, some clarification of 'manual' required I think...

The one Guy has just bought is an automatic thermo-mechanical de-tensioner. The oil filled one is a hydraulic-mechanical de-tensioner...there are various 'manual' tensioners out there that are fit, adjust, readjust after a while. 'Zat' was a name used for a US sourced one, Lionel used to sell one, I've seen assorted DIY efforts.

The one Guy has bought is what I fitted to the last 12V motor I built and is regarded as a 'conversion' when used on the 164 motor. It's also the type commonly used on the 155 V6 as standard, although early ones did have the old 164-style hydraulic job.

Excuse the pedantry, but it helps if everyone is talking about the same things.....

I made my own conversion stud when I did mine. Often, the worst bit to solve is the locking stud - they often get chewed up, and sad to say, I simply couldn't get it out of the block so had to live with double-nutting it. Plugging the oil return is easy enough, just need to make sure you don't get any swarf in the oil gallery.

NoCorseChris
19-07-2012, 16:57
With pictures...

http://www.alfabb.com/bb/forums/164-168-1991-1995/52200-zat-tensioner-yes-no-4.html#post737728