PDA

View Full Version : Hawk hub thread

Bernard
07-09-2012, 18:30
been trying to find the thread that sando was involved with regarding the Hawk rear Hubs cracking !!!...........
i am in the process of putting ERIC back together again and this afternoon I have noticed that both Rear Hubs are cracked on the outer face just below where the strut finishes !! (same place as Sando's)
Sando.... did you repair or fit new Hawk hubs or some other type ??
Son..... did you get anywhere with your rear ally hubs ??
will not repair mine will just paint them with Hammerite that should do the trick !!
cheers
Bernardo

strat24v
07-09-2012, 18:37
The other thread was on the other forum, years ago!

Haven't progressed anything just yet pops, no cash to move things forward.:(

Need somebody to cad them up properly, my sketchup drawings arent good enough. If you want to donate your cad skills....

Sando
07-09-2012, 23:05
Fitted new ones and then welded in Sando design additional 5mm ribs and plating and additional link to the strut mount to take the load into the ribs rather than have a weak point below the strut mount. Not CAD designed though just handmade to eye !

The need to re set the rear toe and camber is a pointer to things starting to bend and twist having to do this more than once should be wake up call.

Finding out you have a crack flat out in fith gear on the fastest corner at Abingdon certainly woke me up ! :eek:
Snap oversteer at over a ton Weeeee certainly tested the Dab of Oppo reactions !

Sando
07-09-2012, 23:29
Found a pic of the plates I made. Also added two 'tabs' on the back of the ribs to fit to the strut lower mounting bolts.

Griff
08-09-2012, 00:19
Finding out you have a crack flat out in fith gear on the fastest corner at Abingdon certainly woke me up ! :eek:
Snap oversteer at over a ton Weeeee certainly tested the "Dab of Oppo"

Rob, is that the brand name for the incontinence pants? that I would certainly need after snap oversteer at three figures, makes my stomach knot just thinking about it

Sando
08-09-2012, 08:40
Safe to say that was a bit of a Vatanen "Dear God" moment griff, but with at least some space to collect it, it carried on with the line I was taking...just sideways.. Almost got to do some supersonic harvesting. You then have to brake from 120 to second gear corner for the finish so it was one chance only to get it back together..... Adrenalin sump filled
..... And no I didn't lift !
.......And Bernard still beat me....

john
08-09-2012, 08:44
What material are the hub carriers fabricated from? I mean what thickness of MS?

Bernard
08-09-2012, 12:40
hi John....... don't know the thickness but they look pretty thin to me ...... 2mm / 3mm ?????........ would have to proof drill to find out

Cheers for your comments boy's

See ya sunday Bobster

Bernardo

Guy Mayers
08-09-2012, 13:29
Just had one of mine plated....