PDA

View Full Version : Santa Pod FIA European finals

strat24v
10-09-2012, 13:01
Been a fair few years since I was last at Santa Pod so when the chance to go came about, Carron, the boys and myself hopped in the truck on Saturday and headed for a very sunny Northampton. Watched the Monster trucks do their car crushing routine, seemed to suit Archie and Sam, both only ever seen them on tv before. It wasn't long till the action started on the strip with ProStock and ProMod cars which sounded pretty fruity, next was the first qualifying run for the big Top Fuellers. Now, if you haven't been before i'll try and explain what they are like, 8000 horsepower, 1/4 mile covered in a couple of hundredths over 4 seconds, 17 gallons of Nitro/Methanol burnt on just the one run and finally the noise and what I can only describe as a blast/shockwave as they pass. I'd liken it to being punched in the chest with a 50hz frequency, your ribs and eyes vibrate, 150+ DB then suddenly its all done, utterly mental but very addictive! Second run was viewed from track side in the pits, much nearer the strip than up the banking, just for the experience!

Had a good walk round the paddock, watching the top fuellers being completely stripped and rebuilt after EVERY run then had a lengthy chat with the guys at NG motorsports who were running two dragsters, a top methanol and super pro, both similar looking but one blown and the other N/a. Dave Catton, one of the drivers at NG let Carrons boys and myself have a sit in his machine which was real good of him but a bit risky for me with my creaky joints, couldn't get my leg over and nearly squashed his small plexi screen!

Anyway, a few pics for you. Both boys in the Catton machine then a scrap Ally conrod which i acquired from one of the top fuel teams, should make a good ornament or paperweight.