PDA

View Full Version : move to California

Paul
13-09-2012, 18:01
Happy to say the Stratos survived my move from Washington to California! Once I've finished adapting to my new but much smaller workshop/garage hopefully work can resume on the car again soon. At least I've an understanding wife who doesn't mind her car being left out in the elements, although with no snow and not much rain to contend with any more, it was an easier sell this time. On the road for next spring is the goal.

Next to nobody in the US recognizes what the car is although it turns out my new next door neighbour is from Newcastle in the UK, and recognized it right away, having been impressed by one he saw a few years back at a UK hill-climb event.

Here's a couple of the few pics I have of the move that I managed to take in between all the chaos:

The stratos had to be rolled onto a flatbed tow truck first, then rolled across to the moving truck. Other car + everything else were all packed in after that.

][\/][ajor
13-09-2012, 18:36
I don't think the ramp you have for getting it off looks big enough.:eek:

Paul
13-09-2012, 23:23
The car loading ramps came off the back of the truck, but even then it was too steep for the stratos - we backed a flatbed tow truck up, rolled it across and lowered it down from the hydraulic bed of the tow truck.

If it was turbonutter's car, I could probably have just gunned the accelerator and put a landing ramp somewhere down the street :D

Elliott
14-09-2012, 00:08
Did that one truck do the whole 3,000 mile journey, coast to coast? If so, how long did the guy take to drive it across?

Guy Mayers
14-09-2012, 00:17
I think it's gone South to California and not West! There's a difference between Washington and Washington DC.

Guy

Elliott
14-09-2012, 00:28
I think it's gone South to California and not West! There's a difference between Washington and Washington DC.

Guy

Ah. Schoolboy error on my part.

:)

Paul
14-09-2012, 00:35
In my case it was from Washington State (in the north west) down the west coast just south of San Francisco - approx 650 miles. That was a straight run down the I5 intersate freeway - left in the morning and arrived that night. I drove down separately with the family (including dog, cat & goldfish!).
I was chatting with the driver about coast-coast. With two drivers, it can be under 3 days.

turbonutter
14-09-2012, 01:58
If it was turbonutter's car, I could probably have just gunned the accelerator and put a landing ramp somewhere down the street :D

That would have been interesting ..... in reverse :rolleyes:

tipo158
14-09-2012, 02:51
So, are you moved in yet??? I want to see pictures of your work area in the garage. The one in Vancouver, WA was interesting. Let us know when that car is on the road, it shouldn't take too much more now. It was running the last time I saw it.

Paul
20-09-2012, 01:21
Yes, move is complete although new job is all-consuming so little to no time on the car for the last few months. Garage is downsized significantly from what I had before - no lift, minimal storage, etc, but no complaints really. I did build a workbench last weekend though, so might find myself getting back into it again soon.
The car just needs driveshafts to be driving, but lots of minor work still to do after that - fit the glass (windshield and side windows), headlamps, door mechanisms, finish the GRP4 dash, reinforcing for seats, boot lid, seals and trim. Here's a picture in her new home:

3154 3155

Paul

The Slug
20-09-2012, 09:46
Thats a down size...!!!!!!!!

Paul
20-09-2012, 18:04
I know..........
Honestly, the hard part was getting rid of all the 'junk' that had accumulated in the old place - there must be some intrinsic law of human nature that we will adapt to fill all available space regardless the size.
When you see the questions starting to flow again, you'll know my building activity has resumed!

Fingers
21-09-2012, 00:00
That's so true, I moved to the UK in 99 with just a backpack and a pair of skis. When I came home four years later I needed a shipping container!

john
21-09-2012, 09:26
Paul,
good to see you are back in action!
It's looking good, but I know all those bits and pieces of jobs take time.
I guess you have the potential to work in the garage 365 days a year?
UK garages are already becoming less bearable as the year gets older!

StruanR
21-09-2012, 10:14
I know..........
Honestly, the hard part was getting rid of all the 'junk' that had accumulated in the old place - there must be some intrinsic law of human nature that we will adapt to fill all available space regardless the size.
When you see the questions starting to flow again, you'll know my building activity has resumed!

That's the trouble with being on a farm, there's always somewhere to park something up, 4 Alfas, 2 Fiats, 1 Lancia and that's just the scrap cars....
Struan