PDA

View Full Version : Eric's new heart

Bernard
16-09-2012, 19:02
Well as a few of you know i have been dragging my heels on eric's new heart.......... well this last friday i finally managed to drop it into place. !!................ "about time" I hear some of you !!!

Motor is a 3.7 alfa on throttle bodies and using a Go tech ECU all built and run up in a "donkey car" by Dawie de Villiers in South Africa..... took delivery of it a couple of years ago ?!

Sprayed the chassis black as it was getting a bit shabby to say the least !!

Now for the plumbing and wiring....... no need to rush ??... LOL

ProtoTipo
16-09-2012, 20:00
Well done Phil. Keep at it.

GMC
16-09-2012, 21:15
Brillant, it should sound class

Guy Mayers
16-09-2012, 21:50
Hope you've been busy with the waxoyl too Phil! I'd hate to think the chassis was getting shabby from the inside out like mine....

Guy

Bernard
17-09-2012, 07:12
Cheers Chaps

Yes Guy.... I did go round it with a hammer before I painted it and it's all pretty good !!........... might inject a spray of old engine oil later !!

Phil

turbonutter
17-09-2012, 07:20
Dont forget to run the gearbox in for a few miles before you open the taps fully.....

Bernard
17-09-2012, 08:24
Dont forget to run the gearbox in for a few miles before you open the taps fully..... There speaks the voice of experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sando
17-09-2012, 19:05
Pull your finger out mukka .....I need someone to play out with! :o

turbonutter
17-09-2012, 19:28
Dont forget to run the gearbox in for a few miles before you open the taps fully..... There speaks the voice of experience !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just a reminder in case you forgot my error :) Get cracking with the build while the sun is shining....

Bernard
20-12-2012, 10:50
As you asked in your crimbo card Guy........... not a lot of progress has been made due to other circumstances......... however

Look whats just arrived after 10 weeks on order !!!`............ hopefully these will be stronger than the standard Beta units !!............ From GKN Motorsport
Hopefully will get some time over the holidays to get them fitted.......................... Hopefully !!

ProtoTipo
20-12-2012, 12:10
Hi Phil,

They'll be Alfa sized inner CVs, I take it?

Bernard
21-12-2012, 07:09
Hi CJ..........

yep they are Alfa sized CV's on the inside with Ford outer CV's (apparently)..... standard and off the GKN shelf........... I sent off the old shafts as a pattern for them to make the new ones,.... on the Ford Cv's the spline is too long so i will have to make up a spacer only by about 10mm if i remember correctly.......... one interesting thing (that I wasn't aware of) is that they machine a very very slight helix down the length of the spline to ensure that there is no backlash.... clever !

Cheers

Phil

ProtoTipo
21-12-2012, 07:29
Hi CJ..........

yep they are Alfa sized CV's on the inside with Ford outer CV's (apparently)..... standard and off the GKN shelf........... I sent off the old shafts as a pattern for them to make the new ones,.... on the Ford Cv's the spline is too long so i will have to make up a spacer only by about 10mm if i remember correctly.......... one interesting thing (that I wasn't aware of) is that they machine a very very slight helix down the length of the spline to ensure that there is no backlash.... clever !

Cheers

Phil

A helix? That's a new one on me.

The Ford CVs makes sense, because I fitted Ford hubs on the orange car, and the outer Beta CVs fitted. The spline thing was the other way round, just slightly short.