PDA

View Full Version : Cadwell Park

AndyH
01-10-2012, 21:11
Hi,
Eventually plucked up courage and had a day at Cadwell Park last week in the Stratos.
Very nervous start... damp and greasy. The back end was stepping out very easily.

A bit more pressure in the back tyres and things improved dramatically.. A bit of understeer in the corners, but felt reasonably stable.

I pushed as hard as I dared, but probably only got to about 80% of what the car could do.. Lapping at just under 2 mins, so nothing startling.

The good news was that there was a Lotus Exige S (240bhp) there and he was open about the fact that he was struggling to keep up on the straights.
Getting up to just shy of 120mph on the start / finish straight, but was bottling it going into the left hander!

I'd be a lot happier with a bit more front end feel / grip... I was only running 26psi in the front and in hindsight a few more psi might have been worth a try.

Would anyone be willing to share any front geometry settings that might encourage a bit more grip.?
In theory I've got:-
1mm Toe In
-1.5Deg Camber
-4.5Deg Castor

The car attracted an enormous amount of attention and the day was great fun... Just need to be a good bit braver in the corners!!
Even seemed to behave itself in the wet!

Andrew

Sando
01-10-2012, 22:20
My two penneth Andy - front pressures sound high - try much lower - below 20 front with such little weight on the front even 26 PSI will be ballooning your footprint into a much smaller contact patch and with 1.5 deg neg camber this will mostly be on the inside of the tyres giving you that instability feel and less grip and understeer unless you are really leaning on the tyres. maybe it was due to the wet and not leaning on them enough

I run 18 front and 24 rear in road tyres think you will find quite a few people in this ball park.
Also not sure what fronts you use but a good grippy track day type tyre also improves the understeer. I can recomend Toyo R1R - Craig at Lister Bell is now also using these for his cars. very good all round wet or dry.

Pics look great !

cheers
Rob