PDA

View Full Version : Silly question of the night....!!

The Slug
08-10-2012, 21:01
Hi all,

Silly question for those that know the answer, alas I don't!!

What Temp is the oil and water supposed to run at in a v6 24v? does the oil run hotter than the water, or vice versa?
and if the oil is passed through a water cooling exchange unit will it change the result?

More dumb questions as I carry out the build no doubt!!!

Thanks

strat24v
08-10-2012, 21:28
Oil slightly hotter i believe. The oil stat will keep it at the correct temp and it will always be at a minimum of coolant temp. Dont think its owt you could cock up really, as long as you fit one of the two bigger mocal heat exchangers. The math and number of variables for calcing the temp exchanged would fry steven hawkins brain.

turbonutter
08-10-2012, 21:47
Normally the oil runs slightly hotter than the water. And on the Alfa I believe the water stat is set at 86 and as per my manual, the oil stat starts to open at 82.

If you run the Laminova, oil will always be hotter than the water, but they work fine at keeping the oil temperature reasonable. I used the middle sized one on my last car, but have the big one on this car.

There is also no need for an oil thermostat with an oil/water cooler, as you can't overcool the oil.

The Slug
08-10-2012, 22:06
Thanks Guys