PDA

View Full Version : help neede

ölmännchen
17-12-2012, 19:05
Hello to all the members.I need your help for fixing my stratos.I bougt the Gr.4 of PIM and now I need
new ball joints in the front,but I do not know what type they are for.I think the ball joints are FIAT 132.
If anybody can help,please let me know.
Bye for now and many thanks for all your help.

Reimund(Ölmännchen)

Stableblock
17-12-2012, 20:22
... I think Pim's was a Hawk so yes the front bottom ball joints are Fiat 132.

Peter

Guy Mayers
17-12-2012, 20:25
http://www.ebay.de/itm/PT-Trag-Fuhrungsgelenk-5042302-z-B-fur-FIAT-132-1-6-/140810278094?pt=DE_Autoteile&fits=Make%3AFSO%7CModel%3APolonez+I&hash=item20c8f254ce#ht_1173wt_1156

If it's the lower ball joint... My German skills aren't what they ought to be!

GUy

Allora#2
17-12-2012, 20:51
Guy, your german is well and now Reimund know what he need TRW JBJ306

ölmännchen
18-12-2012, 20:11
hello geys,

thanks for you help.yes the ball joint are fiat 132.the parts are orderd and on friday the stratos is on the road again.
My next problem are the rear uprides.Has anybody put on the new uprides with the bigger alfa 164
wheel bearings?I need your help,because i àm not able to fix it,i always need some help by good friends for preparation and to keep my stratos in running conditions.
Bye for now.
Reimund

ChrisCar6
18-12-2012, 21:09
hello geys,

Snigger.

Sorry, can't help with the uprights - what is the problem?

Allora#2
18-12-2012, 21:24
i think strong bearing play! Pim's old car also old problem. :confused:

Cadami
18-12-2012, 23:06
That's worrying as I'd imagine Pim's old car is low mileage. I wonder how Guy's car has faired over the decades?

Allora#2
18-12-2012, 23:23
http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/452-Rear-Wheel-bearing-play

Cadami
18-12-2012, 23:29
We're discussing front suspension issues Enzo, potential ball joints. URL relates to rear uprights....

Allora#2
18-12-2012, 23:37
We're discussing front suspension issues Enzo, potential ball joints. URL relates to rear uprights....

hello geys,

thanks for you help.yes the ball joint are fiat 132.the parts are orderd and on friday the stratos is on the road again.
My next problem are the rear uprides.Has anybody put on the new uprides with the bigger alfa 164
wheel bearings?I need your help,because i àm not able to fix it,i always need some help by good friends for preparation and to keep my stratos in running conditions.
Bye for now.
Reimund

and here Raimund mean rear bearing!

Guy Mayers
18-12-2012, 23:41
That's worrying as I'd imagine Pim's old car is low mileage. I wonder how Guy's car has faired over the decades?

I fitted the Beta bearings into the hubs back in 1988 when I first got the kit together with the hubs and driveshafts from the donor car. The bearings were original Lancia ones and I'm sure I've still got the invoice to prove it. When the Gp4 wheels were done it all had to be dismantled (destroying the bearing) but went back together with new bearings four or five years ago on the original modified Beta hubs. The new bearings were OE spec but the outer CVs are the 1978 Beta ones from the donor. Inner ones have both been replaced recently after one finally gave up the ghost.

Never had any bearing play but always had the bearings pressed into the hubs and torqued the stub nut up to spec. I've never been able to remove these nuts once torqued though and had always had to resort to drilling a pilot hole and then carefully enlarging it until I could split the nut with a cold chisel. I prefer this method to brute force removal as it destroys the nut that you're not supposed to reuse anyway! The new bearings haven't seen the anywhere near the mileage the originals had.

My hubs are the early variety with the castellated Beta lockring and not the Thema type with a circlip? I don't know if that makes a difference? However I did find a crack in one of the hub carriers during the current overhaul that's been welded and plated. Like Robs it was on the outer face of the carrier on the fold just below the base of the strut clamp. I'd recommend that everyone keeps an eye on this spot. Failure could be spectacular!

Guy

Cadami
19-12-2012, 09:18
and here Raimund mean rear bearing!
Ah yes Enzo!! The last entry explains how I resolved the play using the old uprights. They're still fine. The new uprights are yet to be fitted. I've been sourcing the other components required to fit them. 164 hubs, bearings, drive shafts and CV's etc..

strat24v
21-12-2012, 20:29
Rally car engineer i know was quite complimentary on Hawks rear upright bearing housing but his other comment was more interesting. 'Rest of it is Fu----g 5hit' Handed the upright back to me and walked off.

For comparison, heres a 6R4 upright next to a Hawk. The 6R4 runs narrower wheels with less offset. Tell you anything?

And before you all ask, no, they won't fit. The geometry would put the top mount WAY further in.