PDA

View Full Version : Spent all day polishing the wheels!

][\/][ajor
28-12-2012, 18:04
I really think that as much as I like the look of the polished alloy finish of the wheels, I seriously need to consider painting them as it's taken me all day to bring back a good shine on these. :eek: sore fingers!!!

ChrisCar6
28-12-2012, 18:09
Coo, nice!

Lacquer?

][\/][ajor
28-12-2012, 18:11
Lacquer...I suppose it's a possibility. I'll consider it.

john
28-12-2012, 20:43
Lots of coats of wax polish is another option. Certainly slows down the development of tarnish, and when the time comes, easier to clean it off, polish again and wax. The water will get under lacquer.

Cadami
28-12-2012, 21:49
I'd agree John. Been there in the 80's..... loadsa hard work and then the lacquer peels off. Too smooth / shiny to adhere to properly. Good quality wax or paint them....

][\/][ajor
29-12-2012, 00:40
I'm thinking I might try fixing a thin metal or plastic disc the same diameter as the spokes inside the wheel next time. I can put that in the recess of the wheel and bolt it through to another similar piece behind with some wing nuts. With that in place I can use the machine polisher without worrying about rubbing the paint off the spokes when I get well down into the wheel. The polisher made light work of the outer edge so I think it's probably worth the extra effort.

Edited to add - PS. Also found out today that the wife's nail polish remover was the only thing I could find that was good at removing the old glue from the stick on weights........just don't tell the wife.

mmmm. Having said that she's been away for a couple of days and she might wonder what on earth I've been doing so best to confess I think :confused:

ChrisCar6
29-12-2012, 09:46
Just by some acetone at the chemist for next time!

][\/][ajor
29-12-2012, 17:42
Just by some acetone at the chemist for next time!

Does that work? And without causing any 'hidden' damage to the actual alloy itself?

ChrisCar6
29-12-2012, 18:27
Acetone is the solvent in nail polish remover, mixed with oils/additives to keep your nails nice! Don't want them on boy stuff!

You can buy it by the litre, useful stuff to have. Don't weld or grind near an open bottle.......