PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Boxhead
31-01-2013, 04:21
Hi all, Brand new mwmber here and wanting to introduce myself.

I live in what is just about the dead centre of Australia, a town called Alice Springs.

I am (nearly) 44 years old and qualified motor mechanic.
Now play with cars purely as a hobby, having recently built a Shelby Cobra replica.
It is now time to start researching for next car to build.
Sorry to say my first choice would be a Lamborghini Miura SV but there does not appear to be many comprehensive kits for these.
Second choice was the Stratos.

Are there many replica kit suppliers of these wonderful cars around?
If so, can anyone steer me to what they think is the better kits to get, my preferance would be for one that uses many donor parts, and have a pretty good quality body from the mould.

Lastly, are there any Aussies on here who have been down this route before :-)

The Slug
31-01-2013, 09:52
Hi Boxhead,

There are two main manufactures Hawk and ListerBell, both make good kits.
As to which is the best for you, only you can decide.

I am building a ListerBell so folk may say I'm bias towards them, others will be along shortly to talk about the Hawks but in answer to your question "have a pretty good quality body from the mould" I would have to say that the ListerBell has less work to do on the body than a Hawk (Ask the people who have built one recently)and you also have the option of leaving the Gel finish if you don't wish to paint.

That said both Cars are good and it is all down to you as to which you pick, I'm sure you will be happy with either.

One of the main differences is that the Hawk uses the 30 year old, tried and tested, Fiat/MG/Alfa parts for steering and brakes etc similar to the original, obviously the original used there own Fiat "empire" parts. (You can go your own route of course as many builders have done)
The ListerBell uses modern bespoke parts for its steering and brakes etc.

Neither car is a totally accurate replica despite the hype you hear, the original had a steel shell, both replicas have fibreglass, and lots of other smaller details are not 100% right either, but unless you have a genuine car to look at, your not going to tell as they are both so close.

Both stop, start, and work fine, both will take a range of engines, most people like the Alfa V6 these days.
As I say its down to you, contact both makers and deside yourself is the best way.

I understand a least 1 LB is being built down there and I sure there must be Hawks as well.

If you decide to Join (http://stratosec.com/join) the club then this opens up the rest of the forum with lots more info on all the cars and how to build them etc well worth the money.

All the best
Ian

Boxhead
01-02-2013, 03:09
Hi Ian, Thank you for the reply.

I had emailed Lister before joining here and have had good feedback from them, and to be honest as it sits right now would probably be my preferance.
The body work stuff is a major factor and with alot less work required this makes teh "kit" more appealing to me.

There are a few items included that may not pass rego in Australia (such as the brake package), but I would need to investigate that further (in Australia calipers must have dust seals - most "racing" calipers dont)

My engine preferance would be LS1 with 6 speed transverse gearbox.
http://www.v8archie.com/v8Archie/Prod3.htm
I have a spare LS1 at home with wiring, ecu and I have software to tune it from my Cobra build.

turbonutter
01-02-2013, 17:51
Thats a big engine to squeeze into a stratos! Personally I think any replica should have an italian engine, but if it will fit why not be different.

Brake wise I dont remember what calipers are on the Lister Bell, but I use HI-Spec Billet 4 Calipers & they are dust sealed.

strat24v
01-02-2013, 17:59
Hi Spec on the LB. Think they do both sealed and unsealed.

jeffdavison
01-02-2013, 20:37
imo.. too much motor. Remember you have an extremely short wheelbase car and an extreme rear weight bias. Car might be too much of a handful to contol comfortably.

JD

strat24v
01-02-2013, 21:21
Each to their own I guess but I'd advise learning about the stratos and all what its about, putting a monster V8 in will create something thats unpleasent to drive. These things are all about light weight, cornering and agility, not straightline dragsters. If thats what you want then its the wrong choice of car.

I think a similar analogy would be like putting a Hayabusa bike engine onto a 100cc kart, great laugh, mad in a straight line but utterly crap. On a kart circuit, it'd be smoked by a 10 year old kid! Tells its own story when ONLY a handfull of the worlds greatest rally drivers just about managed to tame it with a paltry 300bhp.

jeffdavison
02-02-2013, 01:52
Here is someones documented build of a Miura replica that started with a kit supplied by Prova.:
http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum3/HTML/000003.html

jeffdavison
02-02-2013, 01:55
Here is the website of a UK company that builds a Miura kit also.... Parallel:
http://www.paralleldesigns.co.uk/indexframe.html

Strat Fan
02-02-2013, 10:19
The American thread is a really good read, I read it all last year. The level of detail & reworking of the body is an education to all. Its all somewhat let down by the fact is fitted to a modified Fiero chassis & the wheels leave a bit to be desired. Fitted with a transverse LS engine too.

Does the Parallel kit not originate from the Prova or are they separate entities?

Could it be possible that the Parallel chassis may have just one too many diagonal braces?

ProtoTipo
02-02-2013, 12:49
Were the moulds for this (http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/kit-cars/other-models/lamborghini-miura-sv-recreation/855876) take from this (http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-B7YKncqzqjQ/TfuXLBe_u3I/AAAAAAAALyY/hUgUTgVZ3Kk/s1600/f0057849_0185927-767402.jpg)?

The shape of Miura reps. are so far off, it's pointless.

ProtoTipo
02-02-2013, 12:55
The shape of this (http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C359666) is correct, albeit in grp. I've had a quote for one of these bodies.
'Would have been better with a 308/328 motor?

Boxhead
04-02-2013, 01:11
Hey all, thanks for replies.
I am in no way locked into engine choice, I was thinking that way as the engine is very lightweight, I have one, and I have the tuning software for it.
But definatly not locked into that as a choice.
Cost effectivness probably pushes an Italian based engine/drivetrain out the window, not many Italian cars on Australian roads, so second hand cars or parts are very expensive, in comparison to say a Japanese supplied driveline.
The Miura in that article would never be permited to gain registration in Australia, due to the cutting and welding of the floor pan and chassis.

strat24v
04-02-2013, 14:51
Late Toyota v6 mated with an Mr2 gearbox would be a good choice, more chance of those on your side of the pond. With the LS engine youd be very space limited and probably need to supply an engine/box assembly to Hawk or Listerbell, just to make sure it'd go in. I can assure you it would be very tight or wouldnt fit at all, across the engine bay. If you could find an inline transaxle, you'd have a good chance of the LS fitting in the Listerbell in conventional North/south orientation but not so with the Hawk.

ProtoTipo
04-02-2013, 17:12
The latest V6 Exige and current Evora have Yota V6 motors.

strat24v
04-02-2013, 18:18
That is the toyota engine type, think its also fitted in some of the newer rav and Tacomas??

Strat Fan
04-02-2013, 21:31
The Toyota 3.5 with an MR2 box is the combination that's being fitted to both an LB & a Corse I both in Australia but completely independently of each other.
The preferred gearbox is the MR2 turbo as per the one Neil is fitting over here, apparently the Evora box isn't as strong, but was no doubt chosen for the Lotus because its lighter & more in keeping with the Lotus philosophy.
The Toyota engine is still quite rare in the UK but plentiful in the US & Aus. Woodsport in the UK have done a number of the 3.5 litre conversions into MR2 mk2 cars using engines they imported form the US.

ProtoTipo
05-02-2013, 09:40
That is the toyota engine type, think its also fitted in some of the newer rav and Tacomas??

Hi John,
I was told by an Evora owner, that the nearest production engine to the one in his car, was from a US spec Camry, but still not exactly the same.