PDA

View Full Version : Stratos for tall people?

Bluest
03-02-2013, 09:24
With my garage nearing completion, I'm starting to think more seriously about a Stratos build. Problem is, I'm 6'1" and fairly well built and I've no idea if it's possible to fit in one. I want to end up with a car I can use comfortably for more than an hour or two. I go to Le Mans and Nurburgring every year and don't want to be physically destroyed in the process.

Can anyone offer any insight? I will be at Stoneleigh this year so I'm hoping LB or Hawk might let me try and squeeze into one of theirs.

Strat Fan
03-02-2013, 10:21
Hello Mike, Welcome.

It shouldn't be a problem to accomodate you in either car. There are definitely a number of Hawk owners out there who are your height & taller so that shouldn't be an issue. If you are long in the back it is more of an issue than being long in the leg.
The seat used is the key factor in either case, if you want to fit something like an FIA approved race seat then you will struggle more as the shape of these often mean you end up raised up from the floor & even reclining the seat doesn't necessarily help the situation. If you wish to wear a helmet in the car then this is the worst case scenario. Sparco Evo are one of the better ones.
If you opt for one of the non FIA approved replica type seats available then you stand a good chance of fitting either car without too much issue as you can sink these low into the car & maximise the space available to you.

Regards

Griff
03-02-2013, 10:58
Mike,
I'm 6'01" and fit okay, and that includes a padded headlining, that said the addition of a crash helmet would cause me to tilt my head to one side, and I am long in the leg and short in the back. I have Sparco FIA seats in my car, but they are mounted directly to the floor, which isn't really a problem as I'm the only one to drive it. My sons are 6'03" and 6'05" and do fit in the passenger side. The car is very comfortable once your in, but cabin noise can be a bit wearing on long trips at Motorway speeds.

Bluest
03-02-2013, 11:23
Thanks, sound very positive. I think I'm long of leg, rather than body. I would very much like the option to wear a helmet though. I'm not expecting Range Rover style comfort, just something that won't be a physically ruinous.

The Slug
03-02-2013, 12:32
Hi, my seats are away being trimmed at the moment an I'm building a ListerBell, your more than welcome to try them out when I get them back and i'm 6'1".
Down in Nuneaton which may be a bit of a drive but you will get to see a car being built.

Ian

David J
03-02-2013, 13:30
Mike

I am when last measured 6' 1 1/2. I have used various seats over the years from TR7 to Corbeau Apline ( these were bolted directly to the floor pan to maximise head room). I recently aquired and fitted all leather Lotus Elise seats and subframes. The bottom of the seat is actually lower than the subframe, hence the need for spacers 30mm alluminium box section.
I will have about an one inch headroom.

Incidentaly my car is an Allora, they are however all very simlar .

David

ChrisCar6
03-02-2013, 14:28
Mike, if you pop up to Blackpool Friday or Saturday, there are 2 Hawks on display that you can try for size.
Chris

Bluest
03-02-2013, 21:30
Hi Chris,

Is it the Northwest Stages at the weekend? The offer is greatly appreciated. I'll try to make it, but I'm working nights so it all depends when I manage to crawl out of bed. What time does it run to on the Saturday?

On a separate note, I know some kits can have lowered floors to generate a bit more headroom, is there any scope for that on an LB or Hawk?

Guy Mayers
03-02-2013, 22:52
Hi Mike, anything is possible but dropping the floorpan under the seats would put it below the level of the chassis and I can't see that being a good idea!

I'm at the other end of the M62 if you want to pop across sometime but you'll have to leave it a few weeks until I get the interior back in the car, it's coming to the end of a very long overhaul....

Guy

ChrisCar6
04-02-2013, 13:53
Yes Mike, Northwest Stages Rally show in the Norbreck Castle Hotel.

strat24v
12-02-2013, 08:35
The Pedals arent the problem, on my Hawk it was the position of the steering column and steering wheel. An original Stratos has the column at a more gokart like angle which helps the steering wheel clear your thighs.

Bluest
14-02-2013, 19:45
Is there any difference between Hawk and LB? One more accommodating than the other?

john
14-02-2013, 19:58
I think it's more down to what seats you choose.
LB have their own seat which is tailored to the bulkhead angle, but a clever choice of seat will pay dividends in any Stratos.

ölmännchen
24-02-2013, 18:21
hello mike,

I am 6 " 5 and the stratos fits to me.remember that walter röhrtl is also 6 " 5 and he was doing a lot of rallyes with the stratos

Madham
25-02-2013, 15:38
so ! what would be the best seat/mount combination ?
I just bought some Sparco side mounts and they hold the seat far too high, I have seen some others on Demontweeks for Lotus Elise are these any good ?
Also the Sparco Evo seems to be the seat of choice for some, is there anything wrong with the cheaper Sparco sprint ?
Once I get my seat arangement sorted I can really crack on with the rest of the car

strat24v
25-02-2013, 16:12
its all to do with the angle between the seat base and seat back. you need a seat ideally at 70 degrees or as near as. If the seat is between 80 and 90 degrees, once you recline it back to achieve headroom clearance, it will lift the front of the seat, your legs will at best foul the steering wheel and at worst, be where the steering wheel is. Theres nothing stopping you drilling some more holes in the side mount to get the right position.