PDA

View Full Version : Blyton track day

turbonutter
13-03-2013, 15:52
I am thinking of doing a track day at Blyton on either sunday 14th or sat 27th April... Most likely the 27th. Its one Organised by Javelin & will be open pit lane anyone else fancy joining me. I just need to get my car back and check the sound level - the limit is 105db.

Sando
13-03-2013, 17:50
How much is it Neil? might give it some thought.

turbonutter
13-03-2013, 18:03
£119 at the moment on the javelin site so not too erxpensive

Javelin Track Day (http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/)

Sando
14-03-2013, 07:43
Sat 27th looks promising Neil. Have you booked yet?

turbonutter
14-03-2013, 07:58
I havent booked yet - I wanted to make sure my car is under the 105db limit first. I am 95% sure it is, but its never been checked so need to measure it when I get the car back.... So should be booking sometime next week......

there is no rush- I just checked & as of today they have only 4 drivers signed up for that day

I also need to tell Bev!

catswhiskers
14-03-2013, 09:56
I also need to tell Bev!

I'll say nowt for a fiver. :rolleyes:

Mick

mariner
14-03-2013, 13:45
Hi,

Pity I can't make either of those days - away on climbing trip to France.

Been to Blyton Park several times before and have never been noise tested although as I wasn't there last year this may have changed.

My car tested at Croft and was 103 db with only a single silencer so you shouldn't have a problem.

rgds Bob

turbonutter
15-03-2013, 09:01
Shame you will be away.
I will be doing the 27th - assuming that i get my car back in the next couple of weeks.
I am pretty sure my car will pas the 105db test, as i said, but would like to know for sure before booking. If it is over, i should have time to sort it anyway.

I have been to a few places as well that say they have a strict noise policy and then dont test, but but best to know before arriving, as there are ways to cheat....

turbonutter
28-03-2013, 23:05
Still waiting for my car to come home it was snowed in earlier this week and today blew the fuel pump fuse:(

Still I have decided it will pass the sound check if there is one, so have booked for the 27th at blyton

Sando
29-03-2013, 07:53
I'll book today too now then Neil
Anyone wants to help out and carry a couple of wheels and a few tools up there for me from Nottm to Blighton can have a ride shotgun round the track. I'll be driving up, so usual conundrum of how to get wheels there. Doubt there will be much left of rear TB's by the end of the day to come home on.;)

turbonutter
29-03-2013, 08:28
Not Having track day wheels, I will just have to see how it goes with my R888's and stop driving with enough rubber left on them to get home. My issue will be fuel, my 45L tank just wont cut it for a track day. There is a petrol station not far away, but I hope to rope a mate in to bring some fuel & tools in his car, it will save at least some trips to fill up.

Sando
29-03-2013, 09:54
Booked
hope it's finally Spring by then and the snows all gone!

turbonutter
29-03-2013, 10:22
Fingers crossed for some sunshine!

Current Predictions for the 27th are 12C and sunny intervals - So there wont be any overheating issues!

][\/][ajor
29-03-2013, 21:18
I'll try and pop across the Humber for the morning to see you guys if that's OK. And I don't mind popping off to get you some fuel if it helps. Can't stay the full day as I've got plans for the evening.

turbonutter
29-03-2013, 22:36
The Track Day is run by Javelin, If you come over the bridge dont forget to bring a few buckets of sunshine with you :)

][\/][ajor
29-03-2013, 23:15
The Track Day is run by Javelin, If you come over the bridge dont forget to bring a few buckets of sunshine with you :)

I'll see what I can do :cool:

AndyH
30-03-2013, 10:30
Hi,
Not a million miles from me and I'm very tempted.

I'm not the bravest around the track in the Strat... Memories of that dry stone wall still linger.

I'll check my diary.
Andrew

turbonutter
30-03-2013, 10:33
Blyton is an old airfield, so not a lot to hit apart from grass :)

Sando
30-03-2013, 10:41
Ideal opportunity to get some confidence back Andy:) Go at your own pace. I don't intend to be doing anything stupid, I want to play out for the rest of the year without having to mend anything too !

catswhiskers
30-03-2013, 12:14
Hi Rob,
I'm currently free on 27th so if you still need a 'service barge' to throw tools and wheels in, I'd be happy to come along. I might get the chance to try out my new race suit before Tour Britannia too if that offer of a ride still stands.:)
Let me know.
Mick

Strat Fan
30-03-2013, 12:26
Hi,

I'm not the bravest around the track in the Strat... Memories of that dry stone wall still linger.

Andrew
Hi Andy,
Go for it, Airfield based track days are the best place to learn the limits of your car! (& reinstate some bruised confidence?)
Its far better to spin the car on an open track area with decent run offs than it is to find/exceed the limit of adhesion on the public road (as you know only too well!)
Cheers

turbonutter
30-03-2013, 12:36
Hi Andy,
Go for it, Airfield based track days are the best place to learn the limits of your car! (& reinstate some bruised confidence?)
Its far better to spin the car on an open track area with decent run offs than it is to find/exceed the limit of adhesion on the public road (as you know only too well!)
Cheers

Thats why i am going there for my first propper drive of the car - nothing much to hit apart from race control & that is well out of the way!

2 Strats on the confirmed list as of now, it would be good to see some more...

My car is oficially fixed now, I just need to pick it up :)

Its going to IN Racing in nottingham for a full 4 wheel alignment, cornerweighting and check on the bump steer on the 15th, so should be well sorted for the 27th.....

Cheers

Sando
31-03-2013, 10:42
Hi Mick, yep absolutely. That would be great. Thanks very much.
Sort out the details later, not taking much, its just the wheels and jack that are always the pain
Rob

ProtoTipo
31-03-2013, 10:45
Hi Mick, yep absolutely. That would be great. Thanks very much.
Sort out the details later, not taking much, its just the wheels and jack that are always the pain
Rob

Where can you carry these, in a 355?

catswhiskers
31-03-2013, 22:09
On the roof rack Chris.:rolleyes: Doh, better take the Volvo then.

Mick

john
01-04-2013, 08:51
Where can you carry these, in a 355?
Had the same immediate thought, Chris!
What more appropriate service barge for a Stratos than a 355?
Have a great day everybody.

AndyH
01-04-2013, 10:59
Hi,
Just booked in. See you there.
Andrew

turbonutter
02-04-2013, 22:51
Thats Great Andy,
Thate are 3 of us now so should make for a good day - We just need to keep our fingers crossed for a bit of sunshine!

][\/][ajor
03-04-2013, 12:28
We just need to keep our fingers crossed for a bit of sunshine!

I thought we'd agreed that was my department. I'm bringing it across in buckets remember. :cool:

Monte76
03-04-2013, 13:06
As well as plenty of sunshine don't forget to take a video camera, it'll be good to see your cars in action.

vince.

turbonutter
03-04-2013, 18:47
[\/][ajor;12872']I thought we'd agreed that was my department. I'm bringing it across in buckets remember. :cool:

That's right - buckets of the stuff :)

I'v just got my camera back, as it went funny, so It'll be running in my car :)

ProtoTipo
03-04-2013, 20:25
The car swap on the AutoItalia feature was interesting.
Would that be possible at Blyton? At normal road speeds, that is.

turbonutter
03-04-2013, 20:34
The car swap on the AutoItalia feature was interesting.
Would that be possible at Blyton? At normal road speeds, that is.

?????7

ProtoTipo
03-04-2013, 20:54
?????7

That'll be a no then?!

ProtoTipo
03-04-2013, 21:01
Will this fit?
Restrictor (http://www.createforless.com/p-images/3/2010/1122/197072-3-2.jpg)

ChrisCar6
04-04-2013, 07:58
Hi Neil, I may be able to get to Blyton on the 27th to have a look at your car? Been away as my mother in law has passed away. Re road tyres as mentioned, the main wear on track days is caused by drivers putting too much steering input into the chassis v speed of the vehicle which causes ploughing under steer that takes the shoulder off the tyre ultimately seperating the tread from the sidewall. When I drove for manufacturers, we typically used tyre pressures on track (road cars with road tyres) of circa 46 psi to stiffen the sidewall and to minimise this. Now - I don't wish to get into reams of discussions about the effects on handling etc as has happened on other forums in the past, I am a forensic tyre expert and vehicle dynamists and an ex pro driver for the motor industry... trust me, the differences on times and handling on road tyres is academic on track days, the advice will save you a fortune in tyres and it won't make you crash.... I appreciate Stratos will use significantly lower pressures but so long as the pressure increases used are pro rata on both axles, say plus 35 - 40%, everything will be good. Finally, if you have some worn tyres of around 2mm or less, these will last about three times longer than a brand new set due to the curing process achieved during normal wear and also because the lower tread blocks will generate less heat as they are more rigid and do not 'squirm' so much - a perverse claim but again absolutely true! Not so good in the wet though if there is standing water on the circuit, fine if not.

Hope to see you there,

Regards - Mike

So what's the advantage of using the lower pressures the rest of the time then?

john
04-04-2013, 08:11
Compliance, comfort, adhesion......

turbonutter
04-04-2013, 11:00
Just had my sound meter out and looks like i have nothing to worry about sound wise, it measured about 95 dB at 5100 rpm :)

Bernard
04-04-2013, 11:37
Just had my sound meter out and looks like i have nothing to worry about sound wise, it measured about 95 dB at 5100 rpm :)

When I heard it backfire it was more like the sound of a shell from a ChieftainTank !!!!!..... LOL............. certainly loosened the wax in my ears !

ProtoTipo
04-04-2013, 11:53
When I heard it backfire it was more like the sound of a shell from a ChieftainTank !!!!!..... LOL............. certainly loosened the wax in my ears !

Were you miles away?

Bernard
04-04-2013, 11:55
Were you miles away?

NO ! ..... right next to it !!....... think for a second I had a brown adrenalin moment !!.......

turbonutter
04-04-2013, 13:20
Now the crank sensor is changed and the map sorted i am sorry to say that it dosent backfire anymore :(

Maybe next year I will have to look at some antilag to get the popping back again!

StruanR
04-04-2013, 15:01
You could get chucked out of the club for that ..... needs to be at least 100db...

Jeff
04-04-2013, 16:07
You could get chucked out of the club for that ..... needs to be at least 100db...

I'm a definite candidate for being thrown out then, there is no way mine was 100db. Perhaps that's a good thing?

Jeff

StruanR
04-04-2013, 16:55
IVA limit is 98db so we'll have an exemption till IVA pass, then you must exceed 100db....

ProtoTipo
04-04-2013, 17:11
Regarding spectators at Blyton, this is from the FAQ section of the Javelin website:

Can I bring Spectators?
Yes, All we ask is that they behave sensibly, stay in the designated area and obey any marshals instructions given. Children must be kept under the close supervision of an adult at all times.

turbonutter
04-04-2013, 17:56
Less than 100 is needed for track days at some circuits, i.e. donnington, mallory, goodwood, so yes its a good thing :)

john
04-04-2013, 18:17
There may be another Stratos out.
Guess away.

Cadami
04-04-2013, 21:04
My exhaust was 95dB's for IVA but we measured the induction @ 110dB's!!

catswhiskers
04-04-2013, 23:32
There may be another Stratos out.
Guess away.

Lets see now....Steve Ellis???? Would be good to see you and Steve there John.

Mick

john
05-04-2013, 08:59
Mick wins the pint. Wasn't too difficult then was it?
Yes, I'm hoping Steve will be there. Spoke to him yesterday and the engine is back together, timed up and ready to drop back in to the car.
So, I'll venture over too and see you guy's there.
Barby weather do you think?

Stratie.fr
05-04-2013, 11:25
Mick wins the pint. Wasn't too difficult then was it?
Yes, I'm hoping Steve will be there. Spoke to him yesterday and the engine is back together, timed up and ready to drop back in to the car.
So, I'll venture over too and see you guy's there.
Barby weather do you think?

I regret to live so far and to cannot be with you in Blyton track day!
Maybe next year with my car!?
Have fun in Blyton!
Cheers
Frederic

turbonutter
15-04-2013, 19:54
Well the suspension is now set up ready for bylton :)
At the same time i had the corner weights checked & somehow i have managed to get them spot on..

LF 217kg RF 218kg
LR 315kg RR 318kg

So I now know the total weight of the car is 1068 - so it looks like I managed the 500BHP/ton :)

Guy Mayers
15-04-2013, 20:03
Were you sat in the car when the weights were done Neil or do you only ever plan using 100% with some unsuspecting "ballast" in the passenger seat? ;)

Guy

turbonutter
15-04-2013, 20:14
No it was just the car, but with only half a tank of fuel. Its always a compromise for any car that has a passenger seat & a fuel tank only on one side, as it was more or less spot on, i decided to leave it like that.

I am quite happy with the total weight as well, considering the extra weight of the turbo, intercooling, big brakes & large radiator etc....

Sando
15-04-2013, 22:04
With that sort of power and torque I doubt if you'd notice a few kilos more Neil ! :) I've given up on corner weights, with just me on sprints and with the engine mostly my side too it was very difficult to even it up with my lard in. Looking forward to Little pootle round on a classic rally this weekend ready for blowing the cobwebs off the week after. just hoping the weather stays spring like now.

turbonutter
15-04-2013, 22:52
I am nearly ready for blyton, just need to sort the alternator pulley & a slight lack of boost control & then I am ready..

Bernard
16-04-2013, 07:30
So I now know the total weight of the car is 1068 - so it looks like I managed the 500BHP/ton :)

But then there's Pukka Pie, Chips, Peas, Gravy, Battered Sausage, Fish Cakes, Pepperoni Pizza, Bacon, Mushroom, Fried Bread, Garlic Bread, Kebab, 5 Course Chinese takeaway, Pasta and Meat Balls, 10 Bags of crisp's, 15 pints af beer, 2 bottles of wine, cheese sandwich (without the salad)....................ya didn't think about that did ya !..................... so that's put payed to your 500 BHP/Ton figure !!

Lots of love
Bernardo with the Gazelle like figure !

turbonutter
16-04-2013, 07:58
So there are two choices:
1) diet
2) more power

Option 2 seems more realistic:)

Sando
21-04-2013, 16:40
OOPS. so much for pootling about this weekend..... Broke nearside driveshaft this morning :mad: after al the stick I've given it too..... Wrong manhole cover at the wrong time ( me booting it showing off as usual :o)
ollox.
I'll try and get it sorted for next week but as you can expect after hours faffing about with recovery and getting home, pretty Peed off at the moment.

turbonutter
21-04-2013, 18:19
Sorry to hear about that, but better to break now than first thing saturday! - what shafts are you using? Not that I have any spares to help you out though....

You are not the only one with problems, my miss fire is back again, have tried a new crank sensor and still only 5000rpm, so no good, have now changed to a Hall effect sensor, but it wont start.... 5 days left & I have a couple of options - new type of hall sensor will be here on tuesday, together with a 36-1 trigger wheel. the idea being if the hall sensor still dosent work, if i use the standard reluctor sensor on a 36-1 trigger wheel, it should run ok to 7000rpm....

Hope to get it sorted for Blyton, otherwise i am limited to 5000rpm....

Lets hope I sort mine, You can sort the driveshaft & Andy gets his sorted as well!

][\/][ajor
21-04-2013, 20:03
On a better note, I've had mine back out on the road today for the first time in ages. All went well with no fuel leaks. Sounds totally different with the new bulkhead. I'll still be coming and hope you guys get sorted.

turbonutter
22-04-2013, 08:42
[\/][ajor;13251']On a better note, I've had mine back out on the road today for the first time in ages. All went well with no fuel leaks. Sounds totally different with the new bulkhead. I'll still be coming and hope you guys get sorted.

I WILL​ be there, just hope I can make it with the car running propperly.....

Sando
22-04-2013, 12:27
I may be driving a mondeo round if I don't get it fixed.
Depends what's damaged ....need to check the clutch, box and Diff too...and the spare shafts I have will need CVs changing. if its simple shaft swap there's a chance. (Beta Neil supposedly my weak link to protect everything else)
Toying with just pulling the whole lot out and changing everything over to my spare engine will defo do if anything else is bust. ...would mean being off the road for a while though.....just what I was trying to avoid. Still, bit warmer in the garage now. Still peeeeeeeeeeeed off.

ducatiman
22-04-2013, 12:38
Looks like my return date to Kazakhstan will now be delayed due to the requirement of new Visa...........................so all being well I'll be there, minus the Stratos though. Just about to get in Van and go and pick up engine and gearbox from SWR Motorsports after the modification to flywheel and new adaptor plate......................so should have engine back this evening and start looking at the mounting arrangements................:D:D

Sando
24-04-2013, 07:11
Driveshaft replaced, doesn't look to be any other damage so far, so I'm back on for Sat.:)
hope you get yours running well Neil

turbonutter
24-04-2013, 08:13
Driveshaft replaced, doesn't look to be any other damage so far, so I'm back on for Sat.:)
hope you get yours running well Neil

Good job !
Mine is running now with a good clean Trigger signal, but there is still somthing......

peteracs
24-04-2013, 13:32
Hi All

Sadly no car, but will come along for the morning, so if anyone needs any help feel free to ask.

Peter

turbonutter
24-04-2013, 16:51
Looks like I am right out of luck this week, Filled the car up with fuel ready to take the car to sort the engine tomorrow, Got home and there is a hole in the radiator where one of the tubes is welded to the end tank.

So that is my entry for Blyton Cancelled, as there is no way I can get the radiator fixed and sort the engine before then :( SOrry guys but it looks like just the two cars now. Hope you have a great day and the sunshine holds out for you.

I will still try to pop down somtime during the day to say hello.

Cheers
Neil

][\/][ajor
24-04-2013, 17:30
Bad news Neil. Was looking forward to seeing your car in action.

turbonutter
24-04-2013, 20:07
As my mate said "Have you broken a mirror this week?"

I was looking forward to it as well! I may try to get the rad repaired so I can leave the car at the tuners to sort while i am away at work. I leave again on Tuesday.....

Sando
24-04-2013, 20:52
Shoot! Think someone somewhere has a model with pins in it trying to voodoo us all.
Would epoxy metal do it Neil ? I had to run some down around the end of some of my tubes too after the Chatsworth escapade. Worked a treat.
Hope you can somehow still make it after you started all this off!
don't give in!
Bobbler

turbonutter
24-04-2013, 21:04
Hi Bob,

Glad someone is thinking - when it went, I just gave up I think, like you say someone has a voodoo doll and loads of pins!!!!!

I hadnt thought about epoxy metal, Any particular favourite brand?

as its just a pin hole, i guess it would be prudent to enlarge the hole a bit so the epoxy goes in and helps it grip, or will it just stick on the top if i rough it up??

Anyway thanks for the Idea, I might make it yet - Still need to go to AET though to see if they can sort the Engine propperly, but I guess the epoxy will dry in an hour or so, so time to do it tomorrow!

Cheers :)

Cadami
24-04-2013, 21:25
I used a generic epoxy putty on my swirl pot ali welded jic fitting...the weld was leaking!! Worked a treat but now replaced. I just wrapped it around the affected area....sticks like poo....

Monte76
24-04-2013, 21:25
Where there's a will there's a way, don't give up just yet guys, we're all looking forward to seeing your cars in action at Blyton, keeping our fingers crossed for a full turn out.

vince.

turbonutter
24-04-2013, 21:28
I used a generic epoxy putty on my swirl pot ali welded jic fitting...the weld was leaking!! Worked a treat but now replaced. I just wrapped it around the affected area....sticks like poo....

Cheers

First stop tomorrow - auto spare shop
then off to get the engine sorted - Hopefully blyton will be on again!

ProtoTipo
25-04-2013, 08:29
Got home and there is a hole in the radiator where one of the tubes is welded to the end tank.

I could ask my brother (here) (http://www.ralloy.com/ral029a-alloy-radiator-classic-look-header-tank_c23p383.php) if that's weld-able Neil, but we're nearly two hours up the road, and I've not asked yet.

turbonutter
25-04-2013, 08:53
Could you ask what he would reccomend as a temporary fix. I really want to do it in situ if possible! My plan was to remove the cracked section and epoxy over the holes in the end tanks.

ProtoTipo
25-04-2013, 10:10
I'll ask Neil. It's difficult without being able to see the exact problem.

I remember him fixing a coolant leak with epoxy, on a 16v Vauxhall engined Escort at the first service on the Tour of Mull (at night).
It worked, and lasted for the rest of the rally.

turbonutter
25-04-2013, 10:20
The core is cracked at the headder tank. Anyway I am going to cut out the leaking core at both ends and try epoxy over the holes in the headder. Using evo-stik hard and fast metal putty. I need to get the car moving to try to fix the mapping! Results to follow :)

][\/][ajor
25-04-2013, 10:56
Can't you just crack an egg in it! :rolleyes:

ProtoTipo
25-04-2013, 12:26
The core is cracked at the headder tank. Anyway I am going to cut out the leaking core at both ends and try epoxy over the holes in the headder. Using evo-stik hard and fast metal putty. I need to get the car moving to try to fix the mapping! Results to follow :)

Well, that's a plan, at least.
I've failed to get some advice. Just a derogatory comment regarding 'Allisport', which is no help.

turbonutter
25-04-2013, 12:31
Ended up removing 2 rows of tubes at the tank ends to get good access, cleaned up and putty is applied, rock hard in 10mins as advertised, and now nearly fully cured - just need to put it back together and give it a test.....

The allisport rad is 3-1/2 years old, but I have only done 1000miles with it, so not overly impressed - unfortunately its well out of any guarantee.....

ProtoTipo
25-04-2013, 12:42
'Fingers crossed...

john
25-04-2013, 12:49
I dropped in on James at Alloy Race the other day, neil, and he modded my swirl pot there and then.
might be worth an ask if you are stuck?

turbonutter
25-04-2013, 14:51
Well its all together & water filled, pumps run and no leaks, will give it an hour and start the engine...

On a down side one of the Davis Craig pumps is blowing fuses, so hopefully I can manage with one!

Alloy racing would be my next port of call, but access for welding would be difficult. As above - fingers crossed for the epoxy putty.

So I have a list of jobs for when i am back from work already, New Radiator, New Water pump...........

turbonutter
25-04-2013, 17:04
So far so good, 10 mile twst run completed and all the water is still in the system :) Off to try and sort the engine tomorrow & if the water stays put then I will be at Blyton, barr any further twists of fate!

Thanks for the Idea Rob :)

Sando
25-04-2013, 19:23
No probs Neil only just got to see your replies. I've used several over the years, JB weld is pretty good, always have some in my service kit, I prefer the 2 tube stuff or pot and hardner to the putty as its more fluid when first mixed and flows into gaps. If you can get in with putty though its all pretty similar stuff. Could always put another layer on.

I've also used on fuel tanks for running repairs with great success in the past. So long as clean and keyed and you go much wider than the crack or hole, its as strong if not stronger than the alloy.
Oooo almost forgot its also sandwiched on the end of my six speed between the box and 5mm steel plate! Kept it together and bust the shaft so another success of sorts!
#strong stuff
Bodger Bobster ( make do and mend...)

ProtoTipo
26-04-2013, 07:22
I'm all for glue.
My whole car's held together with it!

The Slug
26-04-2013, 08:43
Is that like Airfix for adults??

The new Boeing Aircraft are the same, well they will be when they can stop the wings from sagging and the batteries going up in flames!

turbonutter
26-04-2013, 19:15
Car sorted I hope!

Missfire was caused by cam belt jumping a tooth and putting the home signal out of sync with the crank trigger!

Hope it runs ok tomorrow!

ProtoTipo
26-04-2013, 19:41
Here's hoping for a trouble free day for everyone tomorrow.

][\/][ajor
26-04-2013, 23:53
Looking at Metcheck I will be bringing the buckets of sunshine but I think I'm also bringing a smattering of rain. My buckets must have a leak!! See you there. :)

ducatiman
27-04-2013, 15:40
Just got back from Blyton, a cold windy and sometimes raining.................................just a few photos of the action.

ducatiman
27-04-2013, 15:44
And for the 2014 Calendar................................

turbonutter
27-04-2013, 17:32
And for the 2014 Calander................................

Great photo!

At least now I know wht the fuel economy isn't too good :)

Sando
27-04-2013, 17:55
Just back too. Fun fun fun.
Great we all managed to get there in the end to have a play. Nice to see so many friendly faces too.
Flames out of the exhaust seemed to be the order of the day with mine deciding to have its own flamer thrower too..One or two tried to escape under my boot floor shield as well. Good old non ozone friendly hand held Halon to the rescue...half a second burst sorted it.
Thanks again Mick W. for taking my stuff up and not commenting on my lack of talent.
Bobster

][\/][ajor
27-04-2013, 18:42
And one of the spectators.......that's the furthest my ex Dave Atkinson's car's travelled under it's own steam for over 6 years!

Good to see you all. Are we meeting up next week for the trip down to Stoneleigh?

ProtoTipo
27-04-2013, 19:04
Well I can't really add anything different to those.
No blue flame either.

ProtoTipo
27-04-2013, 19:23
A tt! ...

ProtoTipo
27-04-2013, 19:32
Another from the paddock....

ProtoTipo
27-04-2013, 19:39
By the way;
Thanks to Mick for lending me a longer Nikon zoom.
It wasn't as long as Ducatiman's, but free for half an hour. Beggars can't be choosers.

AndyH
27-04-2013, 19:43
Hi,

It was a fantastic day and great to meet you all.

That is by far the hardest I've driven the Stratos. The amount of tyre wear is testimony to that!

The photos looks great and I thought the track was pretty good.

For those that were there and heard me moaning about a "funny" noise... It may be linked to some on the nearside rear suspension bushes.
I found a bit of movement and the bolts were not fully tight... I tightened them up, and the noise reduced considerably.

Now to figure out the size and how to change.

Cheers
Andrew

David J
27-04-2013, 20:49
I took a bit of video footage of all three cars a bit wobbly and a lot of wind sound. I did however catch Neil's "OH" so nearly moment down the start straight. I will have a word with Chris J and get them posted some where.

A great day was had by all.

David

turbonutter
27-04-2013, 22:41
I think A good day was had by all, we ended up with 5 cars there, three on track, all of which survived the day with no more than a bit of tyre and brake wear. (I'm not counting Robs minor heat shield fire)

It was good to catch up with old faces & to meet a few new ones:)

Its the first time we had all been to Blyton & myself I think it is a good little track, it looks pretty easy, but it is quite technical & needs more than one day to get it all right!

As Mick found out when he was my passenger, the first time i turned the boost up to max :)

See the Youtube Clip (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=557cRQ2d4oQ)

ProtoTipo
28-04-2013, 08:46
For anyone that doesn't know (which included me).
The new tarmac circuit was laid just two years ago (see here (http://www.richardaucock.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/blyton-park.jpg)).
Steve Perez's car (http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/ss172/peleton72/Car/Blyton%20Park%20PR%20Day/DSCF0527.jpg) at the launch day.
I think previous to this, it was just the normal old WW2 concrete, and used for rallycross?

catswhiskers
28-04-2013, 08:59
What a great days fun. It was nice to see such a good turnout on the day. 5 Stratii in one place with 3 on track. It was also good to meet up with some new faces as well as many old ones too. I would really like to thank Rob for keeping me entertained throughout the day and also a big thank you to Neil for taking me for a 'spin' quite literally. The acceleration of that car has to be experienced to be beleived.
Overall, I think a big 'well done' to Blyton Park for such great facilities and good food in the cafe, and also to Javelin for such slick organisation on the day. Definitely up for a return at some point.
Mick

ducatiman
28-04-2013, 09:11
Must agree with all the comments that it was a great day.............................good to see the cars being used and abused with a good turn out. Great to catch up with members and also now put faces to names....................When will the next one be and how many cars will be there ?

Got back home and straight into the garage.......................need to get mine finished..................:o:):(

turbonutter
28-04-2013, 09:33
Must agree with all the comments that it was a great day.............................good to see the cars being used and abused with a good turn out. Great to catch up with members and also now put faces to names....................When will the next one be and how many cars will be there ?

Got back home and straight into the garage.......................need to get mine finished..................:o:):(

I hope watching the cars on track has spurred you on to get cracking with yours...:)

turbonutter
28-04-2013, 11:08
Here is some in car footage of the 3 cars going round early in the day...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g83-lEX324o&feature=youtu.be

Sando
28-04-2013, 11:23
Nice one Neil......I was driving like my Arse was on fire that last lap.....;)......literally..

turbonutter
28-04-2013, 11:57
Nice one Neil......I was driving like my Arse was on fire that last lap.....;)

That was the lap I had brake fade! Which is strange as I went faster later in the day and did a lot more laps with no fade?

Looking back at the flame photos it would be good to know how often that was happening- can anyone remember?

][\/][ajor
28-04-2013, 18:49
can anyone remember?

When I was watching you Neil, Andy was trying to get a picture of it and we watched a good few laps before we saw any flames. I'd say 20 laps watched and flames seen twice.

David J
28-04-2013, 19:13
The only times I saw a flash of flames and a bang was at the end of the start straight, changing gear?.

David

turbonutter
28-04-2013, 20:32
[\/][ajor;13424']When I was watching you Neil, Andy was trying to get a picture of it and we watched a good few laps before we saw any flames. I'd say 20 laps watched and flames seen twice.

The only times I saw a flash of flames and a bang was at the end of the start straight, changing gear?.

David

Thanks for the info:

Where Andy got the picture of the flame was at the end of the short straight in front of the spectator bank, normally I took that in third, including the corner before and after, but a few times I dropped down to second and hit the rev limiter, which I guess it when the flames appeared.

Same at the end of the start straight, it really needed a change to 4th, but on some laps I stayed in third and hit the limiter... and I guess flames appeared then.

Its good to know when it happened, and it makes sense that its when on the limiter, as its an ignition cut, and the fuel is ignited by the hot exhaust.

Thanks to Andy for having the patience to wait for the photo ;):D

peteracs
28-04-2013, 23:31
Hi Neil

I saw the flames a few times at the end of the short straight, but as the end of the other straights were a fair distance no idea if it appeared then. Also noticed that some times there was no flames.

Peter

turbonutter
02-05-2013, 19:13
Just a touch of opposite lock mid chicane.....

the 3 strat's exiting the chicane

Andy now behind - here I come Rob.....

turbonutter
04-07-2013, 19:04
I found this on Piston Heads Last week.

Hawk Stratos on track at Blyton (http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=30&t=1302780&mid=74720&nmt=Hawk+Stratos+on+track+yesterday+at+Blyton)

It seems Andy sneaked in some practice alone :cool:

Cadami
04-07-2013, 21:32
Would be good to share the tyre pressures used to cope with your track day. I run approx. 18/24 on the road but what worked well on the track? Any thoughts on geometry changes?

AndyH
04-07-2013, 21:53
It seems Andy sneaked in some practice alone :cool:

Found out! I thought I might get away with it, but I attracted some attention for some reason and the game was up.

I was off Neil and Rob's pace last time, so thought I'd get some laps in.

I'll be booking in again towards the end of the summer if anyone is interested.

For info, I tried lowering my tyre pressures and got pretty desperate understeer... Improved dramatically with more pressure..
Not checked the cold tyres, but probably running 26-28psi front and similar rear (16" fronts and 17" rears)

ChrisCar6
04-07-2013, 23:37
Sounds high for the front?

turbonutter
05-07-2013, 01:43
Not exactly sure what pressures I was running:confused:
I inflated them to F=20psi, R=22psi using the Gauge on my inflator, before going to Blyton, but when I got home I checked them with a gauge before lowering the pressure for storage & I had F=23 & R=26.:confused: that was with a cheap gauge, as i cant find my decent one. I am more inclined to go with the gauge figures, especially when looking at the photos I have, which shows very little deflection.

Of course for pressures to be anything more than ball park advice you also need to consider that there are many different widths & profiles of tyres in use, all of which will benefit from different pressures.......

turbonutter
05-07-2013, 01:56
I'll be booking in again towards the end of the summer if anyone is interested.

End of Summer dates when I am still home are Sat 31st August & Wed 11th Sept. I think I am free for those days - anyone else...

AndyH
06-07-2013, 09:06
Mid-week is not so good for me, but Saturday 31st August sounds good.
Anyone else interested?

Sando
06-07-2013, 10:22
If you need that much pressure Andy then either the tyre shoulders may not be up to it or the suspension is not working as well as it could. Getting spring and damper settings to your tastes can take a while to get right. Neg camber may well help, I only run 1.5, but amount of roll will affect how much you need and that about springs and anti rol bar settings if you run one.
Driving technique also needs a fine tune to get the Strat doing its thing best.
Is the understeer in the entry, mid or exit of the corner?
Too much toe at front or rear can cause understeer too, but at the expense of a bit of stability
Its a fine balancing act. Just changing front tyres can make a huge difference .......and may even need different set up!

Glad to see you are using and driving the car as it deserves and should be driven :)

AndyH
06-07-2013, 16:21
Neg camber may well help, I only run 1.5
I thought I had -1.5 camber, but turns out it's just about -1. The last run at the higher pressure (it was a big jump up in pressure) did improve grip, but it did feel like it was floating a little, so probably gone a bit too far.
I'm also running very slightly toe out.... Thought I'd try that, but not convinced it's any good.
-1.5 camber for the next stint, slightly lower tyre pressure and slight toe-in and i'll see how it feels.

turbonutter
09-08-2013, 18:17
Mid-week is not so good for me, but Saturday 31st August sounds good.
Anyone else interested?

Hi Andy,

A bit slow to reply to this one, but the 31st is good for me - anyone else interested?

cheers

mariner
09-08-2013, 18:35
Hi,

I wasn't going to be free when this thread started and had forgotten about it.

Change of plans means I will now be able to join in on 31st, has anyone else entered ?

rgds Bob

turbonutter
09-08-2013, 18:43
Hi,

I wasn't going to be free when this thread started and had forgotten about it.

Change of plans means I will now be able to join in on 31st, has anyone else entered ?

rgds Bob

I haven't entered yet, was waiting to see if anyone else was interested, but if you are a definate, then I will book. There are only 25 cars booked as of today, so still plenty of spaces....

cheers

turbonutter
09-08-2013, 18:48
I haven't entered yet, was waiting to see if anyone else was interested, but if you are a definate, then I will book. There are only 25 cars booked as of today, so still plenty of spaces....

cheers

Of course this is also assuming that i dont break anything at santa pod tomorrow!

mariner
09-08-2013, 19:08
Hi,

Okay I'll make it a definite and book now whilst there is still a book early price.

Have fun at Santa Pod but try not to break anything !

rgds Bob

mariner
09-08-2013, 19:21
Just to confirm I've booked a place for 31st Aug at Blyton Park hopefully a few others will be able to come as well.

rgds Bob

turbonutter
10-08-2013, 15:27
Hi,

Have fun at Santa Pod but try not to break anything !

rgds Bob

Oops!

Its only! A cv or drive shaft, so blyton is still on!

STR_Strat
10-08-2013, 22:43
Did you manage a timed run before it broke Neil?

What policy do you have with the AA, when I checked mine it appears to exclude kit cars?

Dave

turbonutter
10-08-2013, 22:53
I didnt even make the 1/4mile line on the first run - It broke coming off the line:(

I just have a standard AA policy roadside & Recovery (personal cover) - No problem with them coming out, the girl on the phone even recorded the car as an alfa romeo (thats whats on the log book) kit car..

turbonutter
11-08-2013, 22:59
Just to confirm I've booked a place for 31st Aug at Blyton Park hopefully a few others will be able to come as well.

rgds Bob

I am booked as well, so thats two of us - any one else want to play ...............

Its a Javelin track day if anyone is interested....

turbonutter
14-08-2013, 15:36
Only 15 places left ...................

Blyton Track Day (http://www.javelintrackdays.co.uk/trackday/)

turbonutter
21-08-2013, 19:52
only 8 places now.....

If you are thinking about it Steve, don't think too long:)

turbonutter
23-08-2013, 18:16
Just Me and bob on track then as it is now fully booked - Just need a nice rain free day and we will both be happy!

Any spectators are welcome!

AndyH
24-08-2013, 10:46
Just seen this... Didn't want to book until I had my gearbox back in and tested OK.... Just managed that on Thursday night gone.
Took 3 1/2 hours to get it out and what felt like about 15 hours to get it back in (although I did fettle the gear linkage and sorted a few other minor gremlins along the way.)
All seems OK, but no places left now at Blyton. Apologies for not getting booked in.. I was looking forward to seeing the difference a Q2 diff makes (and a bit more negative camber at the front.)
Next time though.
Andrew:(

turbonutter
24-08-2013, 12:44
Good news on the gearbox, shame you didnt get it sorted a bit quicker.......

You could try calling Javelin and see if they get a cancelation - you could be lucky.....

There is an option on the booking page to send an email to be put on the reserve list.....

AndyH
24-08-2013, 16:24
You could try calling Javelin and see if they get a cancelation - you could be lucky.....
There is an option on the booking page to send an email to be put on the reserve list.....

Done. Fingers crossed.

turbonutter
24-08-2013, 17:35
Lets hope someone drops out :)

turbonutter
30-08-2013, 16:48
Started the car this morning to go and fill up with petrol & a horrible noise from the alternator - tried to drive it, but it started to smell - my diagnosis the bearing has failed - Strange as it ran fine when I went out on wednesday.....
Anyway got a new alternator from my local parts supplier - fitted it & lots of screeching from the belt:( alternator was locked solid:( took it off and it seems to turn free????

I have an old alternator with a welded up clutch pulley, so that one is now fitted and working ok ready for tomorrow will investigate the other one next week & most likely take it back....

Why does something always happen just before an event?? Sods Law prevails me thinks........

The Slug
30-08-2013, 21:39
Lets hope someone drops out :)

Hell Neil be careful what you hope for!!!!

Cadami
31-08-2013, 13:34
Blyton has 105db limit. What figures have the Strats' exhausts measured?

turbonutter
31-08-2013, 15:52
Thanks for being the Jinx Ian....... as you predicted it was me that dropped out with a terminally sick engine :(:(:mad:

turbonutter
31-08-2013, 15:56
Blyton has 105db limit. What figures have the Strats' exhausts measured?

Mine I have measured myself at home is 98ish dB static, Bob says his is 103dB Static.
Blyton only do drive by noise testing & Bob was black flagged for noise.... luckily he had a bolt on quick fix:)

Cadami
31-08-2013, 17:25
Mine I have measured myself at home is 98ish dB static, Bob says his is 103dB Static.
Blyton only do drive by noise testing & Bob was black flagged for noise.... luckily he had a bolt on quick fix:)

Thanks Neil, I'm hoping to do this Tuesday evening @ Anglesey but I'm concerned by the 105db limit. What did you measure yours with? What kind of db killer did Rob use?

turbonutter
31-08-2013, 17:54
I have a hand held sound meter- rob used an extra silencer that he has had made to bolt on where the tail pipe normally bolts on !

Strat Fan
31-08-2013, 18:50
Thanks for being the Jinx Ian....... as you predicted it was me that dropped out with a terminally sick engine :(:(:mad:

Is terminal an over statement or have you actually damaged the engine?

turbonutter
01-09-2013, 00:57
I count a blown head gasket + whatever else as terminal - engine was still running, but the exhaust was more akin to a steam train funnel:(

ProtoTipo
01-09-2013, 07:17
Here's a couple of photos of Bob's screaming 6 into 1 Corse.

I've got one of Neil's, but I'm not allowed to post it!

turbonutter
01-09-2013, 08:49
Here's a couple of photos of Bob's screaming 6 into 1 Corse.

I've got one of Neil's, but I'm not allowed to post it!

Go Ahead & post it, I was only joking:)

Monte76
01-09-2013, 14:24
I take it this all happened whilst you were out on the track, was the alternator problem somehow linked as well?

Hope its not too much work to sort out what ever went wrong.

Vince.

ProtoTipo
01-09-2013, 20:42
Go Ahead & post it, I was only joking:)

Ok Neil, if you're sure....

mariner
01-09-2013, 20:57
Hi,

I survived the full day despite being very marginal for drive by noise, something new for me at Blyton as never been tested in any form there before. Took the car to Croft once last year simply for a static test and this was 103 db not on track so no idea of drive by figure. Made an extra box to simply bolt on for track days but obviously should have used a larger box the one in the photo above is only 4 inch diameter so practically straight thru, will try again with a bigger box this time. Organisers said car sounded great just to too loud !

rgds Bob

turbonutter
01-09-2013, 21:15
I take it this all happened whilst you were out on the track, was the alternator problem somehow linked as well?

Hope its not too much work to sort out what ever went wrong.

Vince.

Yes the head gasket went on about lap 8 - nothing at all to do with the alternator that happened the day before.

New gaskets are quite easy, but as I am sure it was caused by Knock, then really I need to check everything in the engine, so it will be a full rebuild and probably head skim.... so lots of work.....

turbonutter
02-09-2013, 22:55
Well Managed to get the heads off today, for a quick look at the problem & the head gasket is blown.... This is clyinder 4

There are a few theories about why it happened, I think we are heading towards a consensus & solution, just need to gather some further information to be sure......

Sando
03-09-2013, 07:54
Sorry to see the bad news Neil.
Looks like a weak spot there with the water jacket so close. Not a lot for the gasket to be clamped by behind the Wills rings. is there any way you could bridge the casting with weld across the middle of the slot before you skim them? Maybe even deepen it slightly first if there is enough meat, still leaving a hole for the coolant to flow through but something to help clamp the gasket at those spots?

turbonutter
03-09-2013, 09:58
Bit of a red herring the pictures above, see below where the red is drawn at 93mm (gasket diameter) this gives 6.8mm of meat at both the exhaust & inlet side. Problem seems to be not enough clamping load....

GrahamH
03-09-2013, 16:32
Hi Neil

Sorry about your engine issue, not what you need , . Have you thought about going to wills rings. Would give you a stronger seal and would rely less on reefing up the head bolts. Pressure looks too much for the gasket ?

turbonutter
03-09-2013, 20:07
Hi Neil

Sorry about your engine issue, not what you need , . Have you thought about going to wills rings. Would give you a stronger seal and would rely less on reefing up the head bolts. Pressure looks too much for the gasket ?

I have been given a few differing opinions on why it failed & the cause/possible solutions. I need to contact some of the specialist gasket makers & get their opinion on the best gasket to use, I am away again soon, so plenty of research time.....