PDA

View Full Version : from someone here? (3)

Allora#2
25-03-2013, 18:05
this picture is from 24 August 2007 Nürburgring (Germany)
someone know who it is!

Enzo :confused:

Bernard
25-03-2013, 19:52
Ian gear.,.hawk

Bernard
25-03-2013, 19:53
Possibly ?........

strat24v
25-03-2013, 20:03
Actually says who it is on the side of the car, John Whalley, Used to be a Lancia dealer in Bishops Stortford. Car initially had an 8v thema turbo engine then iirc an 8 valve integrale head was fitted.

Guy Mayers
25-03-2013, 21:41
I'm not sure if the picture is pre or post accident. John hit the side of a Mercedes box van that pulled out of a T junction in front of him (John had right of way). Chassis damage was significant. When the police arrived they started looking in the field for the body! I believe John escaped with a minor cut to his forehead (roll cage front hoop) and little else courtesy of the strength of the chassis and a four point harness.
I think the car was rebuild but with an Alfa V6 motor. I suspect that the components transferred were the rear clip and a few selected parts.... Probably managed to retain the chassis (number) and plate too!

Guy

Griff
25-03-2013, 22:39
John and car are both alive and well, car was rebuilt with the Integrale engine (he does have another with a V6) John's head however still shows signs of accident damage, as the manufacturer didn't have any replacement panels!! Business is still running, and is currently doing (nearly finished) Rene's Stradale rebuild .
Rene, do you want to post a picture from your last visit?

Griff

Guy Mayers
25-03-2013, 23:27
Thanks Griff, my memory isn't what it used to be. Yesterday.

I do recall another V6 car at Bishops Stortford though this may be owned jointly by John and A.N. Other.

It's extreme left under the lift in the corner in Marlboro colours. Can't remember the details of this car or where it came from. Can anybody shed any light?

http://www.whalley-integrale.uk.com/index2.html - See "our new workshop, click on picture for better view" - and that's John Whalley stood leaning on the left side of the Stratos in the forefront.

Guy

strat24v
25-03-2013, 23:53
Ex Grumpy but with an Alfa engine

ProtoTipo
26-03-2013, 08:14
Ex Grumpy but with an Alfa engine

Yes.
It now has Stradale arches, is painted red, and has a Thema 8.32 V8 engine.
See here (http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2011/03/26/lancia-stratos-replica-1_cKgMm_37750.jpg).

ProtoTipo
26-03-2013, 08:22
Here's a photo from 1997 of John Whalley's 8v turbo engined car. The one that Enzo is asking about.
John Whalley can be seen in the centre of the shot, with the Martini pullover.
The dark blue car on the far left is my old Hawk (now mudhut's). The car behind it is Paul Hassall's Hawk. The other Alitalia car was newly built, and being readied to export to Japan.

strat24v
26-03-2013, 08:33
Might that car be unique in that it's the only group 4 thats been converted back to a Stradale?
Yes.
See here (http://www.instablogsimages.com/images/2011/03/26/lancia-stratos-replica-1_cKgMm_37750.jpg).

ProtoTipo
26-03-2013, 08:48
Might that car be unique in that it's the only group 4 thats been converted back to a Stradale?

It's the only one I can think of.

You can just see the rear targa catch that is still in the higher (group 4) position. A clue to it's previous incarnation.

ProtoTipo
26-03-2013, 08:55
Here's a better photo (http://tuzing.cz/wp-content/uploads/2011/07/Lancia-Stratos-Replica-31.jpg) showing the rear targa catch position.

By the way, this isn't the car that concerns this thread. It is the other car that John Whalley owned at the same time. It had an Alfa 3.0 12v engine, as already mentioned.
It had a Dino V6 engine before that, when Graham Bates owned it.

john
26-03-2013, 09:10
The other Alitalia car was newly built, and being readied to export to Japan.

A Corse then, Chris?

ProtoTipo
26-03-2013, 09:13
A Corse then, Chris?

It was a Hawk John. It had Image coffin spokes, but on 4 stud.

Rene
26-03-2013, 10:48
Rene, do you want to post a picture from your last visit?

Griff

Here´s a couple of them John.

And the part that made your mouth water ;-)

Happy easter!

Best regards

René

Griff
26-03-2013, 16:56
And the part that made your mouth water ;-) Are you strutting your stuff again?

You can add clutch rest (which will not fit in RHD) and grille surround to that list

Griff
26-03-2013, 17:08
Yes.

Yes thats the one I remember the conversion taking place. When I drove it with the 8.32 engine in the back I was concious of the extra weight behind me, there was a spare 8.32 engine with it as well.

The Integrale in the photo, is John's works built car which is also still in the collection of various Lancia's

John's hoping to have the Stratos (8 valve) out of winter storage in time for Rene's car being completed.

Monte76
27-03-2013, 00:59
Chris,

Love the classic Lancia van in the background of your photo, was that the Transformer Alitalia GrpIV demo car getting ready to go to Japan?

vince.

ProtoTipo
27-03-2013, 08:12
Chris,

Love the classic Lancia van in the background of your photo, was that the Transformer Alitalia GrpIV demo car getting ready to go to Japan?

vince.

I remember them saying at the time, that the car in Alitalia colours (the one with the back open next to the blue and white Lancia van) was being made ready to export to Japan.
I took the photo on the first day of the three day Lancia Motor Club 50th celebrations, based at the Agricultural College at Cirencester. The first day was at Castle Combe race circuit. I suppose it was a good opportunity to shake the Japan car down, if it wasn't registered in the UK?

John Whalley was taking passengers out in his turbo Stratos, to raise funds for the LMC. I remember being very impressed by that car, and how fuss free it handled at high cornering speeds. John W. took his Integrale out earlier in the day, but the Delta was damaged when someone t-boned it. My Stratos failed the Castle Combe noise test, so I didn't get out there, apart from some parade laps of all the cars. I also failed the noise test there on the Classic and Sportscar Action Day, the following year, and that was despite my attempts to make it quieter by fitting a 'Supertrapp'. The second day was a large Lancia static show at the college. The last day was at Prescott hill climb. I got some runs there ok, as did Paul and Ian.

That 'Lancia' van looks really good. It's more sort of 1950s/early '60s.
A Beta Berlina in Alitalia colours would make a good chase car. Should I look for one?!