PDA

View Full Version : Small Front Number Plate

David J
14-04-2013, 18:24
I may have to fit a small number plate to the front of the car. Can I ask if they are legal and has anyone with a small plate been pulled over by the police?

David

StruanR
14-04-2013, 18:54
Definitely not legal, people have been pulled up by the police.
OK for display only....
Struan

ChrisCar6
14-04-2013, 18:56
Not convinced they're legal, but I have them and lots of Mitsuvos do too. Never had a problem with MOT or polis. The police intimated that they were going to be strict on this for the NorthWest stages last year, so we all nailed on official size ones. Mine's embeded ina wall somewhere still I believe.
Ther used to be a clause on the DVLA website that said continental=built cars that didn't have room for UK sized front plates could use smaller ones, but that is no longer on the website. This was the link, but it no longer works http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm

Plenty of room for a full one on the spotlight cover.

(http://www.dft.gov.uk/dvla/vehicles/regmarks/reg_marks_current_requirements.htm)

Guy Mayers
14-04-2013, 19:11
Never had a problem with a small one on my car with either the boys in blue or the MOT inspectors. It's possible that having a one digit plate helps?

Guy

mudhut
14-04-2013, 19:30
My son was nicked for a small one on the front of his VX220.

Griff
14-04-2013, 20:10
The legislation is covered by:- The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

the exemption is covered by this modification to the regulations

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) (Amendment) Regulations 2002

Display of Vehicle Registration Marks on Imported Vehicles
(which have a restricted space for a standard sized number plate)
Certain imported vehicles may be permitted to display number plates with smaller characters if:
The vehicle does not have European Community Whole Vehicle Type Approval
AND
The vehicle's construction/design cannot accomodate standard size number plates
Specifications for smaller sized plates (for certain imported vehicles)

Character Height

64mm

Character Width

44mm

Character Stroke

10mm

Space between characters

10mm

The full reasoning can be read in the attached report from the House of Commons library (see the bottom of Page 6)

ChrisCar6
14-04-2013, 20:57
That's the bit I had in mind.

Cadami
14-04-2013, 21:29
I may have to fit a small number plate to the front of the car. Can I ask if they are legal and has anyone with a small plate been pulled over by the police?

David
Like Guy, I run a small plate and have experienced several chats with the boys in blue, mostly relating to the car and it's wow factor. It fits nice and just looks right and not out of place. Is it legal? Not in the "Nannie state".

turbonutter
14-04-2013, 22:04
I have had a small plate on both my cars, never had an issue with the law, but that dosent make it legal .... I had to change it once for the MOT though.....

StruanR
14-04-2013, 23:16
Never had a problem with a small one on my car with either the boys in blue or the MOT inspectors. It's possible that having a one digit plate helps?

Guy
There is no problem in having a small plate, as long as the digits and spacing are correct.
If you have the number 'A 1' you can have a very small plate. It might cost a bit though...
Plate should have makers name, postcode, BS number.
It's worth getting a short number, if you can.
Struan

Cadami
15-04-2013, 08:31
I do carry a full size plate and elastic bands behind my seat in case of emergencies...

turbonutter
15-04-2013, 10:30
I do carry a full size plate and elastic bands behind my seat in case of emergencies...

That's probably ok at the MOT, but I can't see plod being happy with . "Oh sorry officer - I didn't realise it was too small - but its ok I have a propper one behind my seat!"

AndyH
16-04-2013, 22:24
Hi,
Just had mine MOT'd with a small plate. No problem.

I got mine from Craig Plates, and made some claims about the car being of vague import origin, so got a "legal plate".

It's hung on a spring as well... So when I stop it hangs down, but when I move it's hopefully up out the way..
Top tip from Chris.
Andrew

turbonutter
16-04-2013, 22:46
Just noticed the plate on my signiture picture is a small one, but it shows up fine & looks to be the right size........

StruanR
17-04-2013, 09:25
Of course, we talked about it before:

Old site (http://www.stratosec.com/www.stratossupersite.com/forum/showthread61b7.html?t=1986)

ChrisCar6
17-04-2013, 11:01
Just got my MOT this morning - whoop whoop!
Things you like to hear the tester say (for some things) "Oh, thon'll dae". Numberplate not mentioned!