PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Noise / Oil Level?

AndyH
21-04-2013, 11:04
Hi,

I changed from a 5 speed to a 6 speed (156 GTA I was told) over the winter and the car feel great post change.
I had an unidentified noise pre change and post change I've still got a noise... Sounds like a bearing, but not obvious if it is.
Nothing at slow speed, is there at moderate speed and then it seems to go at higher speeds. It seems to be more obvious going around left hand corners than right hand corners.

I've been checking the oil level today and found it was a little high... By chance I have the old 5 speed box plus a 6 speed from what I'm told was a 166 Alfa, so compared dipstick.

On comparing the dipstick between gearboxes there is a marked difference between the GTA box and the old 5 speed and 166 box.
Pic as attached. The GTA box appears to have a much lower Max/Min level than the other two boxes.

I'm booked in at Blyton next weekend and whilst I might risk it with a bit of a grumbly noise, I don't want to load a couple of hundred miles on it with a gearbox half full of oil!

Can anyone shed any light on the dipstick difference and any suggestions ref the noise would be much appreciated.

Regards
Andrew

turbonutter
21-04-2013, 11:15
Have you checked the wheel bearings?

I have also seen a differnce in the dipstick on 5 speed boxes. Could it be due to the angle the engine sits at in the different cars.

Best way to sort the oil is to drain it out and then fill in the reccomended amount of oil and note where it is on the dip stick.

AndyH
21-04-2013, 11:59
Hi,
Yes, jacked the car up and checked. Nothing obvious.

Sorry to ask, but what's the correct amount of oil.l think I was using 1.6l. Does this sound right?
Andrew

ChrisCar6
21-04-2013, 12:20
Hi,
Yes, jacked the car up and checked. Nothing obvious.

Sorry to ask, but what's the correct amount of oil.l think I was using 1.6l. Does this sound right?
Andrew

Google is your friend:
2.0 litres from totally empty cold . 2.1 litres when performed while fluid is warm.

AndyH
21-04-2013, 12:31
Google is your friend:

Thanks Chris..
I've just been doing that... It's always good to get another opinion, so many thanks.
I'll drain /re-fill this afternoon, but I don't think this will fix the noise..

Lots on then internet about diffs "exploding" on the 6sp boxes.

Has anyone had any experience with a noisy diff pre failure / or the intermediate shaft bearing failing and symptoms?

Andrew

strat24v
21-04-2013, 13:04
Diff failure occurs when a pin holding the pinions makes its way out of the diff. Have you got plunge in your cv joints on all suspension travel?

AndyH
21-04-2013, 17:18
Hi,

Now got 2L of oil in the gearbox... A bit embarrassing to think that I filled to the dipstick rather than to the correct volume of oil, but I've done worse I'm sure!.
For info, the "black" dipstick above from the Alfa166 / old 164 gearbox was the correct level in a Stratos with 2L of diff oil in.

CV Joints / spacers etc are all as original HAWK spec... so I'd like to think they have travel in them OK.

Just put the car up on blocks and run... No noise, but a very obvious vibration at around 40-50mph (Hard to tell cause my mechanical speedo no longer works ,and I'm still waiting for "Speedy Cables" to send the electronic version). Less speed OK and more speed OK, but there is a range where the vibration is very obvious.
That sort of ties in with what I hear on the road.

Tried rotation again on both back wheels and it does feel like the vibration may be coming from drivers rear... It's also a little out of true.

Off to the garage to check wheel balance and see if any of that helps.

Thanks for the comments above.

AndyH
21-04-2013, 19:11
Hi,

Just been out with a "spare tyre" I had.. A bit of a different size, but I hoped it would prove a point.

Sadly noise still there.

I've just changed the bearing on the rear passenger side... Long standing "play".. that's fixed now with a new bearing and a bit of bearing lock..

The bearing on the drivers side does sound a little rough by comparison, but it's only done about 3000 miles since it was changed post accident.

The hubs I have take the 164 bearing.. Do these stand up OK to wide rear tyres (315), or do they still suffer from short life?

The noise is certainly there in a certain speed range. It's obvious in a straight line and around right hand corner. Left hand corners and it disappears.
This would suggest more load on the suspect bearing though??

For background info... All was good until I had a Cadwell Park track day last year.. I noticed the noise starting on the journey back.

Andrew

Andrew