PDA

View Full Version : Just joined

gtmpaul
08-05-2013, 13:52
Hi,
I have just joined after being a fan for many years, I now own a late eighties transformer and hope to start the rebuild in the next few months.
The car was mid way through a V6 transplant and round arch conversion when the project stalled, just need to free up some space by moving on some of the motorbikes and other kitcars before I start the new quest.

Paul

Guy Mayers
08-05-2013, 14:42
Congratulations Paul - have you collected the car from Austin yet? He's just up the road from me (in terms of Dorset to the North West!)

Guy

gtmpaul
08-05-2013, 23:00
Hi Guy
Thanks for the welcome, the car is now at my place in Christchurch, I have moved up from a small noisy mid engine car to a larger one.
It will take a bit of time to see what I've got missing from the car and work out what direction to go with it.

Paul

Guy Mayers
09-05-2013, 00:10
Hi Paul, knowing the car I'd recommend a complete strip of every nut and bolt. If there is anything that's seized don't wreck it attempting to remove it (front top wishbone bar especially!) but post here to get advice on how to remove things. Despite some of the pictures you'll see on threads throughout the site, the use of a hammer is not recommended!
It's a Spyder Chassis of similar age to mine. Please check the state of the chassis members on the engine cage between the rear top suspension mount and the bulkhead below the window. I'd expect them to be okay as the car didn't see much use over the years but the construction method lends itself to corrosion that's expensive to fix. Waxoyl or similar for every chassis section is needed!
In the unlikely event of you wanting to reconvert to Stradale bodywork please drop me a line. The two side panels from your car are currently residing in my loft..... Long story!
You ought not to be missing anything from the car, it was once complete and on the road. If memory serves me right it will need seats, or at least a retrim as they suffered oil damage. The carpets were probably terminally damaged too. A new front bulkhead might be on the cards to weather seal it and cover up the (modified) pedal box...
The wheels are/were Dimma centres with Compomotive rims I think. The fitment is obviously for a Stradale so if you're going to have to go to the expense of new wheels & tyres (the rubber will be way beyond date and probably perished) I'd suggest a trip to see Gerry and get a set of Coffin Spokes and a 5 stud conversion. And if you're down at Gerrys then also think about picking up a Group 4 dash kit, if the alcantara on the one you've got is past it's best it'll be cheaper than a retrim!
Thinking about the gauges, the rev counter will be for a 4 cylinder engine and not the V6 you're about to fit. What state is that in? I know it won't have run for the best part of 10 years - does it still turn?
It's going to need paint too. But then I guess you knew that! Do some research, pick a paint scheme you like and find out if it's been done before. There are lots to choose from and most of us pick a specific car/event! If you're not sure about that then a single colour scheme will be on the cards! Perhaps one that lends itself to later updating?
I'm not sure how the car is registered, it may still be described as the Lancia Beta donor car in which case you're likely to have to rebuild it to comply with current IVA regulations. I don't think that it was on the road at the time of the SVA exemption or that Austin presented it. I guess you're familiar with these things being a GTM owner already though! I don't know if you would be able to avoid IVA if there's sufficient proof of the car being on the road as a Transformer from the records you'll have got from Austin. I may have a few pictures of the car but nothing that would prove conclusively when it was first "completed"
Anyway, good luck with the rebuild, I hope that we'll see you and TRN226X back on the road in the not too distant future!
Cheers
Guy

gtmpaul
09-06-2013, 23:32
Hi,

I thought I would do a proper introduction rather than justcoming up with random questions when things don’t make any sense. So over onthe Hawk build area I will post my progress.

First of all about me.

I’m a marine/ design engineer working for www.griffonhoverwork.com (http://www.griffonhoverwork.com/)

Some of the projects I have been involved in

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVAATV3swA0 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVAATV3swA0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE_hw_LaGsI (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iE_hw_LaGsI)

Some of the cars I have built, raced or crashed.

I live in Christchurch Dorset, and over the next year or so will be asking all sorts of stupid questions about building a Stratos that are probably quite obvious once you have built one.

Paul

gtmpaul
09-06-2013, 23:40
I don't know what's up with Photobucket today but I'm having loads of agro with image codes, feel free to sort it out as this is my fifth try at setting the images so they self load. Paul

(Sorted........Webmaster)