PDA

View Full Version : What Suspension? Proflex?

marcoos_1
10-05-2013, 11:32
Has anyone tried Proflex suspension on a Stratos? I have a few friends who are heavily into rally prep on cars and they swear by Proflex for their customers. Trouble is....it ain't cheap, but I'd far rather spend some cash on brakes and handling before I spend it on the engine. If not Proflex, what other suspension suppliers have been used? Car is only for fast road use and the occasional track day maybe (if I can get it to stop and handle properly!) It's for a Corse.

The Slug
10-05-2013, 12:07
Speak to Craig at ListerBell, for a Corse he may have a trick or to for you..

strat24v
10-05-2013, 13:18
Ah! Somebody who's interested in proper performance gains!
It was about 15 months since I was at proflex, full kit of 3 way coilovers for the front and 3 way roller bearing struts for the rear, all for a hawk was around 5k. Would think four top spec coilovers would be around 3.5k to 4k. Spending time on optimizing geometry and reducing stiction and fitting a well designed brake package would be a very worthwhile method. It's night and day between cheap, 5hitty dampers and quality ones. If your pockets are deep enough, look at reiger or exetc! For a cheaper option, some ohlins campers from motorbikes may suit but you'd have some homework to do first on lengths, valving etc.

The Slug
10-05-2013, 14:44
At the risk of starting a war, and I'm not......

Would the gains be that noticable for a fast road car?
Arround here that would be quicker then the car in front is going, if you can miss the cameras on every straight.... anyone know why all the twist lanes are now 40mph with the odd 50mph thrown in for good measure in the mids area, other than the nanny state again?

john
10-05-2013, 15:42
Because the weekend bikers can't go round corners, fall off, hurt themselves and cost the state a fortune, that's why!

ProtoTipo
10-05-2013, 16:16
Proflex would be a little extravagant for a car that isn't used in competition.
If you're going to optimise everything, then surely you'd want to ditch anything other than magnesium wheels? Otherwise, 12 x 15 rims are a lot of upsprung weight?

marcoos_1
11-05-2013, 19:18
Cheers for the answers guys. Yes, I'm trying to start with some sensible mods. Magnesium wheels would be great, but at this point I reckon I'm needing new shocks so it seems like a reasonable place to start. I reckon Proflex will be a bit excessive for the road use that the car sees (although if I can get good brakes and decent handling then I'd love to have it on a track for some fun). I have a 24V Cloverleaf to replace the Guy Croft tuned Volumex, but I'd rather get some improvements in brakes and handling first. Gaz seem to be about £600-£700 for a full set all round....Proflex likely to be £2-3k (ride height adjustable only from speaking to them on the phone). I'm intrigued to just how much better they would be over budget sets like Gaz. I know from my days in MotoX racing that you very much get what you pay for in a shock.....I'll give Nitron a check out this week and see what they come in at.

strat24v
11-05-2013, 19:44
I did a damper swap on my bike, Oem to Ohlins. you wouldn't believe the difference. Oem unit was two way adjustable also. Budget ranges of shock absorbers give you the equivalent damping of two bits of wood rubbing together.