PDA

View Full Version : Brake Upgrade Question.

marcoos_1
11-05-2013, 19:26
I have a Corse S with a Tilton pedal box. The calipers are some really dated looking Fiat part with a single piston on one side. They don't seem to be particularly powerful and I'd like to upgrade. Has anyone got any ideas for a kit etc (Willwood/HySpec etc?) Bigger vented discs would be a start, then perhaps four pot calipers? I'll be changing from a Volumex to a 24V at some point, so it's worth doing now. Any ideas welcome.

Strat Fan
11-05-2013, 20:06
Hi Mark

Tried sending you a PM earlier but got a message that your inbox was full.

marcoos_1
12-05-2013, 00:43
OK cheers....I'll go do some housekeeping now...

marcoos_1
18-05-2013, 19:36
Bumping this up in the hope you guys can help with some advice.....car's of the road until I get something sorted out on this. I had some feedback on Hyspec from a very credible source and it wasn't good.....so I reckon I'm going to rule them out at the moment.

Fingers
18-05-2013, 21:25
Interested to hear that feed back. I've done a bit of reading on the hispec brakes, they do have some negative feedback but I found more positive than negative reviews. From what I could find out they're a copy of the AP racing brakes, and quite popular with the TVR crowd, they seem to be standard fit on Radicals too.

GrahamH
18-05-2013, 22:04
My advice Alcon or AP.

Fingers
18-05-2013, 23:27
I'm a fan of the AP brakes. I'm getting the hispec's with the Lister Bell though. At least it's something that would be easily changed if need be.

Lister Bell
19-05-2013, 10:18
I have used AP 4 pots whilst working at 2 previous companies & they are very good with no issues whatsoever, agreed.
I am also aware of HiSpecs reputation over the last 10 years or more & appreciate that they have been known to be very slow to deliver orders to private individuals. I have also seen a couple of calipers a long time ago which had fluid leaks from new (quickly rectified though). However I think that as the company has grown over the last decade they have refined the product, ironed out the teething issues & improved the customer service.
I can only comment on them now & can honestly say that I have had nothing but A* service over the last 3 years & they are genuinely up there as one of the best suppliers I have. Their calipers are well finished & well presented & offer excellent value for money. They deliver on time & the customer service has been excellent.
Radical also use a lot of their products so I assume that they must offer a decent level of reliability.
I also agree that if I was building a 1000kg plus GT or circuit race car I would have probably gone to AP or Alcon too but for a fast road/trackday car then I am more than happy to endorse the Hispec product.
I would also like to add that they have a new caliper range out which hasn't made it onto their website yet called the RX range, these are competition based calipers (so sans dust seals) which have a stiffer body to prevent flex & certainly do look the part & look more akin to the AP or Alcon type of caliper.
I would also suggest that the choice of friction material is important relative to the application the car is being used for.
Just my opinion of course & everyone is entitled to their own view but no complaints from me.
As they say, you get what you pay for.

Fingers
19-05-2013, 11:10
I have used AP 4 pots whilst working at 2 previous companies & they are very good with no issues whatsoever, agreed.
I am also aware of HiSpecs reputation over the last 10 years or more & appreciate that they have been known to be very slow to deliver orders to private individuals. I have also seen a couple of calipers a long time ago which had fluid leaks from new (quickly rectified though). However I think that as the company has grown over the last decade they have refined the product, ironed out the teething issues & improved the customer service.
I can only comment on them now & can honestly say that I have had nothing but A* service over the last 3 years & they are genuinely up there as one of the best suppliers I have. Their calipers are well finished & well presented & offer excellent value for money. They deliver on time & the customer service has been excellent.
Radical also use a lot of their products so I assume that they must offer a decent level of reliability.
I also agree that if I was building a 1000kg plus GT or circuit race car I would have probably gone to AP or Alcon too but for a fast road/trackday car then I am more than happy to endorse the Hispec product.
I would also like to add that they have a new caliper range out which hasn't made it onto their website yet called the RX range, these are competition based calipers (so sans dust seals) which have a stiffer body to prevent flex & certainly do look the part & look more akin to the AP or Alcon type of caliper.
I would also suggest that the choice of friction material is important relative to the application the car is being used for.
Just my opinion of course & everyone is entitled to their own view but no complaints from me.
As they say, you get what you pay for.

Like.