PDA

View Full Version : Monza Fuel Filler Caps

Monte76
22-05-2013, 20:40
I'm thinking of changing my old Stradale style fuel filler caps to Monza style, I notice on eBay there's a 2" and a 2.5" version, has anyone fitted these to their car and can recommend a size which fits best?

I'm assuming I'll have to machine my own adaptor or chop the tank a bit and come up with another fitting arrangement - any other easy/neat solutions out there?

Vince.

Guy Mayers
22-05-2013, 20:49
Research time Vince - what size did "your" car have? I suspect that you'll have to modify the rear clip so that you can open the caps without having to open the rear clip!
Guy

ProtoTipo
22-05-2013, 21:13
Research time Vince - what size did "your" car have? I suspect that you'll have to modify the rear clip so that you can open the caps without having to open the rear clip!
Guy

You're right Guy. The holes will need to be shaped. There's a way of doing this very accurately, or at least, I've thought of a way!

Vince,
The dark blue car that I had (now 'mudhut's'), had Monza caps. They were so much easier to deal with at filling stations than the Stradale screw on type (that my old orange car had/has).
Works cars had 'Aston' caps though??
Having said that, I'd have Monza caps, given the choice. They're really neat.
I don't know what size the dark blue car's caps were. Maybe Peter can measure them? I remember they had quite a large diameter rubber hose between the cap solid tube and the tube at the top of the tank.

Monte76
22-05-2013, 21:14
Guy - Yep, already planned for that, the original car had quite a generous semi-oval style opening on each side of the rear clip.

I haven't got any dimensional data on the two styles of caps which are available, I'm assuming the 2.5" might be the one to go for.

Chris - From my research the 76 car looks like its more of a Monza style cap.

Vince.

Monte76
22-05-2013, 21:23
Here's a close up of the 76 Monte Carlo filler cap - I'm assuming with the ridge over the top of the cap this is more in keeping with the Monza style.

http://vincesgallery.smugmug.com/Other/Web-Images/i-cZTFZDn/0/XL/Fuel%20Filler-XL.jpg

As you can see the opening is fairly generous.

Vince.

ProtoTipo
22-05-2013, 21:36
Hi Vince,
Yes, the holes around the rally car fillers were quite big? Well, it's certainly not an 'Aston' cap.
I'd say 2.5". I've just measured the one that Martin Kift had on his large alloy washer reservoir. It's 2", which looks too small for a fuel filler.

Griff
22-05-2013, 22:14

Vince, not sure if this will help, I'll try to measure mine tomorrow, notice the oval hole in the rear clam that lets you open the filler cap without opening the rear clam. Rene's car has a similar arrangement and I may be able to get a look at that tomorrow as well.

From memory2" & 2.5" seem a bit small, there are bigger size options here http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/fuel-filler-caps/mocal-aston-fuel-filler-cap

Rene, do you still have the invoice for your filler caps? as it may specify the size, to help Vince, regards

Griff

Monte76
22-05-2013, 22:25
Cheers Griff, that setup looks like the one I'm after, any additional info you can provide will be really helpful.

I think you're right Chris, if that's a 2" filler cap then it might be too small for my needs.

Vince.

Martin Crikey
24-05-2013, 21:03
Hi Vince
If you do get sorted out with new filler caps would you be interested in selling your old caps as I'am short of 2. Just a thought anyway.

Cheers
Martin

Monte76
24-05-2013, 21:58
Sure, I can't imagine I'll need them for anything else, once I get the new caps sorted I'll let you know.

Allora#2
25-05-2013, 10:39
Hi Vince,
i have mount an 2" Monza cap
here some pictures, but i thing 2,5" looks better.
I have them on the 131 and i looks like more the Original!
if you like i can take pic form the 131 Abarth cap.

saluti Enzo

Griff
25-05-2013, 17:32
Vince I hope these help, I was quite surprised at the ID of the filler when I measured it, but as there is nothing to impede the fuels progress into the tanks, its quite logical really, regards Griff

Monte76
25-05-2013, 20:31
Thanks for your help Enzo and Griff, the one you've provided dimensions for Griff also looks like a 2" cap? The inner diameter at the top of the neck shows a measurement from 1.25" to 3.25" on your bottom photo and I'm assuming this is the dimension they are referring to.

I'm thinking the 2.5" might be too big for my needs, I'll get a single 2" to start with and see how it looks.

Cheers, Vince.

Martin Crikey
25-05-2013, 21:20
That's great no hurry here.
Cheers

Griff
25-05-2013, 22:52
Vince, yes I was really surprised as well, which is why I got the tape measure out so you could see "picture paints a thousand words" and all that, I think the 2" will be sufficient

mudhut
26-05-2013, 15:53
2" is probably sufficient and in any case it's too easy to drop your fag down the hole on the bigger ones like mine. Going outside with camera - will add to this post in a little while.

Sorry about the sawdust down the hole in the rear cover...
The fibre washer under the screw-on filler cap seems to always go out of shape. I ought to get it welded onto the neck. The neck is jointed to the spigot on the tank by a large piece of fuel hose and jubilee clips that I will get rid of and replace by Clic when i can obtain the right size.

Monte76
26-05-2013, 17:26
Cheers for the additional info, I notice on eBay I can get one for around the £40 mark but Merlin Motorsport are knocking them out for £140, £100 more expensive?!?!

Do you reckon that's because the Merlin ones are genuine and the as per normal the eBay ones are knock offs?

Griff
26-05-2013, 20:04
Being cynical, I would think that merlin are buying them on ebay, and thats the mark up!!

Rene
26-05-2013, 21:32
Just back from a 4 day 1200 km car trip with the Integrale, but managed to read the post and found this on a Morgan...
Looks like a good solution with the inne cap beeing lockable.
The inner cap sealed very good too, after the Morgan had been standing in the sun, there was a huge overpreasure in the tank that came out when we took it of.

Closed

Open with lockable inner cap

Open without inner cap

Inside of lid

Griff, have not got the final invoice yet, and have had enough with the Norwegian B-roads, the fjords, the 5 meter snow on the side of the roads and the splendid weather.... Will bring the Mac over so you can take a sneak peek on what you are missing out not coming over this year.... But it will be there for years to come, so no worries.

Regards

René

Monte76
28-05-2013, 20:05
Hi Peter, thanks for your input.

I agree René that's a really neat solution and well hidden under the cap, thanks for sharing.

Cheers, Vince.

Bernard
29-05-2013, 08:56
The inner cap sealed very good too, after the Morgan had been standing in the sun, there was a huge overpreasure in the tank that came out when we took it of.

Me thinks it needs pressure relief valve then !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rene
29-05-2013, 18:37
I agree Bernard.
The owner said it had gushed out petrol before, so he was very careful when opening.
So the moral is, if your fuelpump fails on a Morgan, just heat up the petroltank ;)

if anyone is interrested, I happen to know the partsmanager at Jaguar Norway, who is also the supplier of Morgan, so I could get the partnumber for you.