PDA

View Full Version : SANTA POD - Anyone

turbonutter
27-06-2013, 04:09
As the Title says does anyone fancy finding out the quarter mile time for their car on a RWYB day at Santa Pod?

I was thinking of going mid August. Nothing Actually planned yet, just wondered if there was anyone else interested..

I have done a couple of these days with my last car & they can get quite addictive:D - the down side is they can be quite hard on your car (depending on how you drive of course):rolleyes:

ducatiman
30-06-2013, 18:25
Hi Neil
Haven't been to Santa Pod for a long time, used to go down for a lot of the Street legal RWYB meetings and the V8 Real Steal meetings...........

I will be in UK in middle of August so I would be up to go and support you. Are you going to trailer the car down there or drive down ?

turbonutter
30-06-2013, 18:53
Hi Andy,

The Plan would be to drive down & you are welcome to join me.
As yet nothing is booked, as I need to check with Bev when I am free. I know from getting home next week I am busy until the 3rd of August, and then again busy on the 25th , so mid august I should be free. RWYB is available on the 10th, 17th and 18th. Though the 17th is "God of the pod" which I guess will be very busy, so best to avoid?

turbonutter
29-07-2013, 20:48
Ok Looks like its Just me....
http://www.rwyb.co.uk/dates.php

I will be going on the 10th to get an official time for my car and to have a day playing on the drag strip.
It's a public RWYB day, so if anyone else fancies playing its ust a case of turning up on the day & paying your money....
Weather permitting of course, as there is no drag racing in the wet, which is probably sensible :)

The Slug
29-07-2013, 22:27
Weather permitting of course, as there is no drag racing in the wet, which is probably sensible :)

Bugger, I might have stood a chance with the 4x4 in the wet....!!

turbonutter
29-07-2013, 23:04
Ok Looks like its Just me....
http://www.rwyb.co.uk/dates.php

I will be going on the 10th to get an official time for my car and to have a day playing on the drag strip.
It's a public RWYB day, so if anyone else fancies playing its ust a case of turning up on the day & paying your money....

Bugger, I might have stood a chance with the 4x4 in the wet....!!

If the drive home from silverstone is anything to go by your 4x4 would be the easy victor in the wet!!!

turbonutter
09-08-2013, 00:14
Looks like a reasonable forecast, so hopefully it will be a decent day.

Just finished installing this...

So I should be able to warm the tyres properly :)

The target is 11.5 sec for the quarter - not sure if I can do that, but it should be possible??

turbonutter
10-08-2013, 23:51
Well Got to Santa Pod OK,

Tested the line lock solenoid - which works ok.

Lined up at the start

and nearly made it to the 1/4 mile

Then I was towed back to the start, so I am one of the few people to have done the 1/4 backwards all be it by ATV power. Drive shaft or CV joint is broken, need to check tomorrow....

Spent the rest of the day waiting for break down trucks and on the way home.

Thanks to Andy Phillips for the photos!

ducatiman
11-08-2013, 08:57
An interesting day.............................great drive down there in the car, and then 2 recovery vehicles later got back home eventually at 19:30. We will have better luck next time, a pity that Neil didnot get any times at all.

turbonutter
11-08-2013, 10:25
It wouldn have been so bad if i got at least one time, but it obviously wasnt meant to be:(

Just removed the drive shaft and it is the outer CV joint that has failed. The cage has shattered.....

Looks like I need a stronger CV!

This one was supposed to be the best thak GKN make, but think i need to check on that. it was PN# GKN 61C 153 12 01 99 006 10 08 02

Guy Mayers
11-08-2013, 10:59
Warranty claim?

ChrisCar6
11-08-2013, 11:18
Warranty claim?
They'd only replace it with the same part, which would probably repeat the cycle.

turbonutter
11-08-2013, 11:37
I have been trying to recall what spec joint I have, and seem to think, that they used the same deep plunge joint that was on the old driveshafts. And that they did say it was marginal for the power. Of course I wont remember that when I call on Monday!
Looking in the GKN catalogue, they do make a heavy duty motorsport CV in that size, but it has only +/- 8mm plunge. Looking at the wear pattern on the one i took out, that should be enough, so i will try the warranty claim in a way that they supplied the wrong joints, so I need two of the heavy duty ones... that is assuming I dont already have heavy duty ones...

Probably wont get anywhere, but its worth a try....

Main thing is the shaft didnt break & isnt damaged!

Jeff
11-08-2013, 14:48
I've just picked up my jaw off the floor, never seen an exploded CV joint before. So sorry to see your day didn't go as planned.

turbonutter
11-08-2013, 15:26
I've just picked up my jaw off the floor, never seen an exploded CV joint before. So sorry to see your day didn't go as planned.

It was indeed a shame that i didnt get at least one timed run:(

The shattered CV cage is a new one to me - it will be interesting to see what GKN have to say about it - that is if i can get hold of anyone... If there has to be a weak link, then the CV joint isnt the worst part for it to be, but a bit longer life would be better! If I had had a spare, it wouldnt have been so bad!

Sando
11-08-2013, 16:13
Ouch I was hoping you'd get some runs in too. At least it wasn't the box this time Neil and that's probably the cheapest weak link to have in the drivetrain.. Maybe the tyre warming was too good ! perhaps that's your safety margin .....wheelspin !

turbonutter
11-08-2013, 19:39
Ouch I was hoping you'd get some runs in too. At least it wasn't the box this time Neil and that's probably the cheapest weak link to have in the drivetrain.. Maybe the tyre warming was too good ! perhaps that's your safety margin .....wheelspin !

The whole point was to get a time! to roll up 100yards short of the line on the first run was a bit of a disaster.. Like you say at least the CV is the cheapest item to break, but I am in doubt that i actually have GKN's best quality....
Now its a case of fix it for blyton on the 31st and then try santa pod again if i have time before i have to go back to work!

turbonutter
13-08-2013, 22:35
Well I talked to GKN after they have looked at the photos & they dont think the joint was overloaded, but that it had over plunged causing a ball to jam and break the cage resulting in the damage in the photo above. They of course want the old CV back to see if they can find anything else. One contruibuting factor could have been that the flange to flange gap for the driveshaft on that side increased by 5mm - I did make up a spacer but didnt use it as there seemed to be plenty of spare plunge to cope with the extra length. The current plan is to fit a new joint with the spacer and see what happens. If it or the other one breaks again then we need to look at a different solution.....

New joint to be fitted tomorrow & for my own peace of mind I have ordered a spare one as well!