PDA

View Full Version : Alfa torques

ChrisCar6
02-08-2013, 16:59
Can anybody tell me if the torques given in the Alfa workshop manuals are dry or lubricated? I can't see it stated.
thanks

GrahamH
02-08-2013, 19:40
My view would be dry . You should not lubricate fasteners unless its specifically stated . Normally lubricated fasteners are high stress ones and which the fastener is replaced every time. Lubrication produces more stress in the fastener .due to the increased torque.

ChrisCar6
02-08-2013, 20:01
Confused.com
the torque given in the manual 19-25Nm is much less than the dry (42) or lubed (32) for M8 x1.25 12.9 grade given in a data sheet

turbonutter
02-08-2013, 23:08
Torque specified is dry as Graham says....

My tilton clutch is 22lb/ft or 29Nm, so slightly more, but still less than your quoted figures...

From tilton Manual....
D. Clutch Assembly Installation
Now that the clutch is assembled with discs, install it onto the engine as follows:
1. Slide clutch over the mounting bolts and make sure the heads of the bolts are secure
against flywheel lip. Start aircraft-type washers and nuts onto each bolt by hand.
2. Align discs with an alignment tool or a spare input shaft.
3. Tighten the six bolts in a criss-cross pattern, half-of-a-turn at a time until bottomed. Torque
the nuts to 22 lb-ft (lower when using oil or Loctite).

25Nm should be fine - Or a bit more if you like. The main thing is they are all tightened the same..