PDA

View Full Version : Any detailed engine pics? Model builder seeking authentic details.

MadBeef
08-08-2013, 15:14
Hi everyone. Hoping you friendly chaps can help me!

I recently opened a Revell model kit of an Alitalia Lancia Stratos HF with the Dino V6.

The kit is 34 years old! I kept putting off opening it for years because of the age and recently sought to get it valued on a Revell forum to see if there was any interest but they basically said "Build it!"

So I'm sorting out some proper decals and getting some good reference pictures as I want to do a real good job at an authentic representation of the car which has always been a favourite of mine.

I found some excellent pictures of it being stripped down at rallycars.com but not quite good enough ones of the engine.

I'm really looking for some pictures that can show me where all the pipes and wires from the battery etc go so that I can appropriately reproduce them.

For instance, in this image:

http://www.rallycars.com/_cgi-bin/show-Lancia.cgi?158

You can see most of the pipes and wires but I don't know where they lead.

If anyone knows of any pictures or better information it would be most appreciated =)

Hope this doesn't sound like a daft question, but I really would like to do it justice by getting everything correct. And of course I will post the finished result on here.

Cheers,

Lee.

(Link disabled as it is pulling a not authorised message from the site, please cut and past the link and look direct at the site. Webmaster)

mudhut
10-08-2013, 17:30
I don't know why this has happened. I've linked to it in three places in this (http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/922-Tryphon-Georgallides-site-www-rallycars-com) thread, although not to a particular image. These work fine.

I'll have a go - here (random Alitalia Gp. IV pic from Tryphon's site - I've now unlinked this like Ian has done above). This doesn't work as access to specific resources are forbidden by Tryphon. Heaven only knows why he's done this.

Sando
11-08-2013, 09:25
How about this on YouTube http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EuIiqObFGMQ. May help.
Search Lancia Stratos - La tecnica if the link doesn't work.
Rob

MadBeef
11-08-2013, 11:17
Nice video =) added to favourites! Some nice shots and info there. Thanks for that.

MadBeef
15-08-2013, 07:39
Just a quick update for anyone interested,

I wasn't able to find as much detailing for the engine as I'd like so I changed tactics and started searching for the Dino 246 engine instead which yielded much better results, especially when I landed on the Dino246 blog.

It is an amazing project that has been going for 3 years now and covers the complete restoration of a 1971 Dino 246. You can find it here:

http://dino246blog.blogspot.co.uk

The work is simply inspiring and I definitely recommend a viewing. Better still, I emailed them to compliment their work and tell them of my reasons for being there and in their reply thanking me, they kindly gave me the password to some excellent high resolution pictures of a stratos of a friend of theirs.

The car is in amazing original quality having been purchased from the original owner and has the original documents etc.

If anyone is interested, I will enquire as to whether I may share access to you guys as obviously it is his account.

Anyway, I have plenty of info to be getting on with now and when I get going, I'll post pics =)

The Slug
15-08-2013, 08:39
Well I'm glad you have found some useful info for the model even if we could not supply it to you.

What Scale are you doing the model?

ChrisCar6
15-08-2013, 10:35
There was a lovely Dino parked outside my local last night. Wasn't mine unfortunately. There was an immaculate 2CV as well.

davehanman
15-08-2013, 10:42
Here's the VDO we took of our Safari-Stratos engine being Dyno'd in Turin back in May

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_gbyPnyWho

David

MadBeef
15-08-2013, 11:46
@ The Slug: it's a 1:24 scale model. Be nice to be bigger if I'm honest. Hard to get the details right on the smaller ones.

@ davehanman: cheers dave ;-) I'll check it out as soon as I get a minute. Just at work at the second.

@ Chris : good job it wasn't yours! Drink driving in a Dino haha! (That is if by local, you meant the pub.)

ProtoTipo
15-08-2013, 11:56
D-block?
So the Stratos had the last type of Dino 246 block?
It figures they'd have used the best spec, since the Ferrari Dino had run its course by then?

MadBeef
15-08-2013, 18:28
D-block?
So the Stratos had the last type of Dino 246 block?
It figures they'd have used the best spec, since the Ferrari Dino had run its course by then?

The cam covers are different too. They are just a plain aluminium finish as opposed to the Dow 7 dichromate finish on the Ferraris.

Rob from the Dino246 blog has given me permission to share the photos too =)

You can find them here:

http://s155.photobucket.com/user/carbonio_1/library/Stratos?sort=3&page=1

The password is 'stratos1'

Enjoy!

Monte76
15-08-2013, 20:17
If the Revell kit your building is accurate then you'll need some 24v reference images, the road car ones in the link are superb but won't be much help. A works engine bay is a very different beast with bespoke air filters, fuel filters, oil catch tank, header tank and battery configuration. Works cam covers were normally black or red and this varied from event to event and year to year.

If you can let me know which event and which year you're going to depict then I can have a look to see if I have and decent ref images.

Vince.

MadBeef
15-08-2013, 21:26
Hi Vince, I honestly couldn't tell you an exact year and event. I just wanted to represent one with the olio fiat / campagnolo / alitalia livery as accurately as possible. I wasn't aware there were so many variations with the engines (other than the differences between the rally and road car of course).

Monte76
15-08-2013, 22:58
With an Olio Fiat sticker on the door that'll make it a 1977 car, the 1976 cars had AGIP stickers, as you said you want an accurate representation you'll have to also pick a specific event as all the door mounted race numbers were unique to each event.

It probably sounds more complicated than it is but I've pretty much got images of every event the 1977 Alitalia cars took part in.

From the Revell box art I'd say your probably looking at building a 77 Monte Carlo car with #1 on the door. If I remember correctly they had red 24v cam covers.

Vince.

MadBeef
16-08-2013, 08:43
Thanks Vince, any help is certainly appreciated and thanks for taking the time. You are welcome to pick an event yourself, again, whichever you feel you can get the best information for. I'm not in a rush, and haven't designed the decals yet so there's plenty of room for change. Just gathering pictures for now =)