PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Aussies!!!

Glenn75
21-10-2013, 09:03
Well guys, I finally have the cash together for a Stratos kit!!!! And I even have approval from my Minister for Finance and Fun!! (as long as it's in Chardonnay Blue). I am leaning toward one kit over the other, have certainly decidied on engine choice, and even final look/livery when she's all done. Only one major hurdle/problem to overcome in my mind, and I hope someone can help me with some info and advice.
I know there are a few Aussie Stratos builders here, including a recently purchased STR kit according to the ListerBell site, so my big question is regarding shipping/freight of the kit to Aust. Do I need permission from customs FIRST as you do for a complete vehicle? Is it just considered parts or a full car? What was the approx. cost (ballpark) I should be budgeting for to freight it here (so I don't get ripped off by some shipping company) etc. ANY info from guys on getting their kit here from there would be greatly appreciated. I plan to travel to the U.K in Jan/Feb to visit both Hawk and Lister if I can and make my final order/purchase/payment, so knowing the delivery side before I purchase/travel will put my mind at ease.

The Slug
21-10-2013, 10:42
Well done on getting the Minister on your side a major win there....lol

There will be more info in the members section, I would suggest you join the club (http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/13-Join-the-Club), lots of useful info no matter which kit you decide on and you will need help at some point we all do...

You can join from inside the forum and the instructions are in the link if you would like to follow them.

What engine are you going to put in your's? and your more than welcome to come and have a look at mine when your over here, I'm half way between Hawk and Listerbell.

Glenn75
21-10-2013, 10:58
A fantastic invite Mr Slug, that I WILL take you up on; rude not too if you are between the two brands!! I will indeed be joining the club. I have decided on the 2.5 Alfa 24v; only because in my mind it is closer to the original displacement of the 2.4 Dino. I also figure, that if (a big if) I felt the need for more power in the future, then I just swap in the 3.0 or 3.2ltr. Does that sound like a reasonable train of thought??

ChrisCar6
21-10-2013, 13:52
Woo Hoo! Sounds like a happy situation, welcome and congratulations.
I'm tickled by Chardonnay Blue - she drinks it, you drive it!

The Slug
21-10-2013, 14:14
I think your right...

When you can drive the 2.5 on the limit, safely, then look for more power, if not I'm told the scenery can pass you by in ever faster circles!!

and at least you may be able to get bits for the 2.5 easier than my old 3.0lt

David J
21-10-2013, 16:25
It may be worth emailing Craig at Lister Bell, as I believe uses a local shipping company who crate up his Kits for shipment to Australia , New Zealand and North America.

David

john
21-10-2013, 17:40
Yes, I'd second that. Craig has up to date experience of shipping to the US and the Antipodes. ( is that the right term?)
You can ask Craig for a price including shipping I'd guess, he's an accommodating lad.

mel lewis
22-10-2013, 09:04
Hi and welcome.

If you can put your visit off until May you could come along to the http://www.nationalkitcarshow.co.uk/ and meet up with the club. There are usually about 12- 14 cars there and about 20 members to have a chat with as well as Lister Bell and Hawk stands to visit.

Hope to see you there

Bernard
22-10-2013, 09:28
Hi Gleññ75

I am close to Craig at Lister Bell with a Chardonnet Blue Hawk......... you are welcome to visit........ Craig knows where I am

Cheers

Phil

Glenn75
22-10-2013, 09:59
Thanks for the invite Phil, I will certainly keep your offer in mind. Would be nice to see the colour in the flesh before committing to it. I like the Marlboro red and white, but the wife says if we have to have one in the shed, it has to be Chardonnet Blue, so who am I to argue!! Thanks again for the invite :)

Fingers
23-10-2013, 09:00
Or if you're over in NZ and down in Christchurch you're more than welcome to come and have a look at the ListerBell. It's a little closer.

Glenn75
24-10-2013, 22:07
Thanks Paul;

NZ is definitely closer, thanks for the offer. Craig at ListerBell has put me in contact with an Aussie ListerBell builder, so may go and see his car soon too; Just to see what I'd be getting for the money. All members have been a great help and I sincerely appreciate the invites to see cars around the world. A great bunch of Lads!!!