PDA

View Full Version : Mot

StruanR
28-11-2013, 10:57
In for MOT today.
Changed cracked steering rack boots last night and freed off sticking brake pads, fingers crossed...

ChrisCar6
28-11-2013, 11:37
Does anybody let the MOT tester sit in the car? I always insist in staying in it myself (this also helps with things like hydraulic hand brakes).

Bernard
28-11-2013, 13:40
Does anybody let the MOT tester sit in the car? I always insist in staying in it myself (this also helps with things like hydraulic hand brakes).

I get the drift !!

Sando
28-11-2013, 15:10
One of the tests is to check handbrake cable and mechanism is moving freely (a fail I had a few years ago with a stuck adjuster) so might do well on the brake test ;) But ... Actually though if it isn't there it can't be tested.... Hmm have to see. At least you go to the best place now Phil.
sorry Stru, hijacked again.

turbonutter
28-11-2013, 18:34

My MOT guy is pretty ok, he dosent testthe brakes on the machine, as I have an LSD, just drives the car 100m on the industrial estate and if it stops it passes, also just pulls on the Handbrake to see if it works.

The last guy i used let me stay in the car and wanted to see the cables tighten when he was under the car checking.....

So just depends on the tester.....

David J
28-11-2013, 20:09
My MOT man does the same and takes the car down the road with a mobile brake test device on board. He dare not drop the car onto the brake test rollers as it is too low.

David

StruanR
28-11-2013, 21:03
Annoying fail with a nick on a rear TB15 and wiper not clearing the screen.
At IVA, tester wanted oversize wiper blade to cover more of the screen, wasn't concerned if it lifted at the edges.
MOT man wants wiper in contact all the time, so back to shorter blade! As always, in the eye of the beholder....
Hopefully sorted tomorrow.
Struan

davehanman
02-12-2013, 08:47
FYI there's a rear TB15 for sale by Sando in the Classifieds section.....

David

Annoying fail with a nick on a rear TB15 and wiper not clearing the screen.
At IVA, tester wanted oversize wiper blade to cover more of the screen, wasn't concerned if it lifted at the edges.
MOT man wants wiper in contact all the time, so back to shorter blade! As always, in the eye of the beholder....
Hopefully sorted tomorrow.
Struan

StruanR
02-12-2013, 09:19
FYI there's a rear TB15 for sale by Sando in the Classifieds section.....

David

Thank you David, but they are fronts not rears, tempting though. 29/61-15 Michelin TB15 was what I needed.
Car has gone through now, swapped some spare wheels with TB5s and different wiper blade so the MOT man was happy.
All set for another year...;)
Struan

ProtoTipo
02-12-2013, 09:35
Thank you David, but they are fronts not rears, tempting though.
Struan

Too wide for the front Struan, but not wide enough for your rear 12" rims. Perfect for 9" and 10" though.

davehanman
02-12-2013, 09:51
Ah yes, sorry I should have checked :-)

Thank you David, but they are fronts not rears, tempting though. 29/61-15 Michelin TB15 was what I needed.
Car has gone through now, swapped some spare wheels with TB5s and different wiper blade so the MOT man was happy.
All set for another year...;)
Struan

Sando
02-12-2013, 20:46
Yep rears, I used them on 10's, great for sprints, for everything bar torrential rain. This one is my unused spare .
May even consider selling the two used ones too. Still tread left and can also be re cut. Doubt if I'll do any more sprints to be honest, not got the time or money anymore!

StruanR
05-12-2013, 11:08
For some reason MOT man always puts down Lancia on the certificate!
Presumably it is still valid...
:rolleyes:
Struan

ChrisCar6
05-12-2013, 11:47
As long as it's not going to set off an alarm on an ANPR camera.
Documentation seems to be a minefield if you don't get it right - see here http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&f=30&t=1259920&mid=41118&nmt=Do+I+have+to+have+this+car+approved+by+Dvla%2E%3F

StruanR
05-12-2013, 12:23
It's correctly IVAed and registered, so hopefuly that is the important thing and camera would just check for MOT pass, tax and insurance.
Don't think the camera would know what a Hawk or a Lancia looked like!
:confused:
Struan

peteracs
05-12-2013, 13:00
Hi All

So long as it is not still registered with the donor car details (and being IVA'd means that must be true?), and it is difficult enough to tell the difference between a Hawk and the real thing from a distance, then the only practical issue I can foresee is the issue of insurance and what you claim the car to be there, presumably you call it a Hawk and if they get funny with the reg name being different to the insured name?

Peter

StruanR
05-12-2013, 14:26
Yes insurance, IVA, registration all Hawk, only MOT man seems confused.
I don't think it is an issue really.
:rolleyes:
But I could be wrong.
And from October we don't need to display tax discs, so it's harder to tell a Hawk from a Lancia...
Struan

ChrisCar6
05-12-2013, 14:46
With MOT being computerised, I thought MOT-man had to put in the same as the computer had;

StruanR
05-12-2013, 15:09
Exactly, .... but apparently not ...
:confused:
Struan

peteracs
05-12-2013, 17:07
With MOT being computerised, I thought MOT-man had to put in the same as the computer had;

I am surprised he has to put anything in apart from the reg number, can see no point in him having to put the car type, I would have thought it just asked him to confirm it was what they had on the database?

Peter

StruanR
05-09-2014, 09:33
OK, white car passed its MOT yesterday, always a relief.
From the certificate it is now listed as a Lancia Stratos, the same as the blue car.
... and of course the Hawk tax disc comes off next month .... :rolleyes:

strat24v
05-09-2014, 10:38
That's nice. 800k parked in the garage now!

StruanR
05-09-2014, 12:44
That's nice. 800k parked in the garage now!
Oh absolutely, all of that .... ! ;)
Struan