PDA

View Full Version : Autocar test of Listerbell

shakey5
06-12-2013, 16:39
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/video-can-lancia-stratos-replica-be-better-real-thing

Sorry if this has been posted before but I've just found it. I reckon Craig could walk on water at the moment - fantastic review!

Not sure which issue of Autocar it will appear in though. Craig? - Just read that it will be in next weeks Autocar (11th December)

Steve Sutcliffe, Autocar - But my favourite kit car of the day was the quite delightful Lister Bell STR, which looked and drove for all the world like a real Lancia Stratos – for just £30,000. “But you can buy a very nice second-hand Porsche Cayman (http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/porsche/cayman) for that sort of money” I hear you cry. To which I’d reply “Yes, I know. But I’d take the faster, lighter, far more lovely to look at and no less exciting to drive Lister Bell STR every time, thanks.”

john
06-12-2013, 18:21
Game, set and match.

catswhiskers
06-12-2013, 18:27
Do you know what, watching that video makes me wonder why I'm plonking around in an F355. Mmmm, I wonder.....
Well done Craig.
Mick

john
06-12-2013, 18:49
Go on, Mick.
You know you want to.

David J
06-12-2013, 19:05
You could not ask for a better accolade, I can see the orders flooding in.
As already said WELL DONE CRAIG.

David

Fingers
06-12-2013, 20:37
Do you think he liked the car?

Excellent video, and you couldn't get better advertising than that. Really nice to actually finally hear it!

john
06-12-2013, 21:07
Who needs the Stig?

catswhiskers
06-12-2013, 21:13
Go on, Mick.
You know you want to.
Well that would make the full set of builds wouldn't it.:)
Mick

strat24v
06-12-2013, 22:47
Video was interesting. The LB looked very planted while driven hard, almost zero roll and no lairy tail happy slides to speak of. Took note on how slick that gearshift is, finger and thumb operation.

Fingers
06-12-2013, 23:23
Downloaded so I can watch it offline. 90mb in 720p, looks even better played back on TV.

Also found this

http://www.autocar.co.uk/blogs/anything-goes/kit-cars-are-they-good-cheap-fun-or-overpriced-homemade-rubbish

ChrisCar6
06-12-2013, 23:45
Video was interesting. The LB looked very planted while driven hard, almost zero roll and no lairy tail happy slides to speak of. Took note on how slick that gearshift is, finger and thumb operation.
I don't think it was being driven hard enough to get lairy. Lovely car though wish my gearshift was as reliable.

strat24v
07-12-2013, 00:16
I wish my gearshift was as reliable.

Switch those nylon pivots on your centre section for some rod ends and you could also tap out those bronze bushes in the box and fit some linear bearings in their place.

ProtoTipo
07-12-2013, 09:33
Do you know what, watching that video makes me wonder why I'm plonking around in an F355. Mmmm, I wonder.....
Well done Craig.
Mick

You've got a nice example Mick, so you could always weigh it in? December's not a good time though!

ProtoTipo
07-12-2013, 09:51
I'd say the fact that it doesn't look lairy has more to do with it being well set up, rather than it's lack of speed. Deliberately overdriving one of these, doesn't make you go quick from A to B.

shakey5
07-12-2013, 10:27
Anyone notice the rear view camera screen? I quite like that!

ChrisCar6
07-12-2013, 10:37
I'd say the fact that it doesn't look lairy has more to do with it being well set up, rather than it's lack of speed. Deliberately overdriving one of these, doesn't make you go quick from A to B.
Not surprisingly he was being fairly sedate when talking - not much g force on the driver. I thought the lack of pitch on acceleration/braking was down to less right foot than rock-solid suspension.
Can't wait to see a complete one in the flesh! It shows how far kit cars have come in the last 20 years.

strat24v
07-12-2013, 11:09
It wouldnt be possible to do a professional presentation while driving flat out, it is a consumer article at the end of the day. What i was trying to point out is on the external filming, the car was been driven fairly quick, being flicked left and right in some corners and seemed very well balanced where some ive seen in the past would have been a tad out of shape. One day we may get to see a Listerbell and a Hawk tested back to back, not just driving, quality of engineering, build and componentry, fit and finish etc. Clarkson???!!

john
07-12-2013, 12:43
An objective test would be worth having. Not another 'Stigate' affair, which I believe proved to be a seriously misjudged opportunity.
If you want a serious opinion then you don't watch Top Gear. This actually what I meant and was referring to above in my "Game, Set and Match" post.
To have a serious and experienced voice bestow such an accolade on your product! Fantastic and well deserved. ALL credit to Craig who saw what was needed and worked tirelessly and at great personal expense (financial and effort wise) to achieve it.
As stated here,and in Sutcliffes blurb on the Autocar website, "kitcars" have come on a long way in the last twenty years.

Bernard
07-12-2013, 12:49
Excellent review Craig.... As the guy's say ...watch your order book (fingers crossed)..... Also you don't need to drive a car balls out to get the feel of it.... It was obvious to me when I drove that car that it was an extremely well built car with handling and performance to match most of the "off the shelf" cars you can buy for three or four times the money !....

LM mic
07-12-2013, 13:13
This successfull test is completly matching to all efforts involved by Craig in this new kit project !!
As soon as I meet Him and just only after watching all the process this exper man have used in building all different parts of his kit I understood that he will have a great success with that product !
What is exceptional is that he is doing all this on his own and with only few helps of friends I suppose so all the success is to be dedicated to him ( and his wife and family) and his superb skills to engineer simple but very effective and smart solutions with modern ways to product
But now Craig have to jump to an another challenge I suppose ; it's to organise a smooth and reliable production run ( to be able to take more and more orders with quite reasonable delivery schedules)
hope he is surrounded by reliable subcontractors that will built for him separate needed part at a constant cost price and secure delivery times .
I really wish to Craig to have an 2014 productive year with some good profit for him for time spend out of his family so they will be "motivated "

Am very very very very proud to be in the number and the quality and tecnology of what I will have make me also to be patient !!!!!!!!LOL

turbonutter
07-12-2013, 19:11
Great Review! Well done Craig, it must make all of the effort worth it!

ProtoTipo
08-12-2013, 09:39
Great Review! Well done Craig, it must make all of the effort worth it!

Yep.
With the real need for early publicity, it must be so easy for kit manufacturers to fall into the trap of presenting a demonstrator to motoring journalists, before the car is properly set up and shaken down? 'Obviously not the case here.

mel lewis
08-12-2013, 10:27
Excellent..

The only thing I will add is Don't let Clarkson or Stig anywhere near a set of keys to one, let them look and salivate but no driving. But Craig will already know that.

stratosfear
09-12-2013, 16:32
Super vid!!!
Well worth a blog post (http://leonharddesign.wordpress.com/category/lancia-stratos-lb-project/).
If my car (which will hopefully be finished soon) handles and drives like this - i will be happy!

Fingers
11-12-2013, 07:37
And in the latest Autocar magazine.

GrahamH
13-12-2013, 00:38
Great add for Lister Bell and for the kit market in general. He's not going quick but then it's not his car to trash. Thought is was well done and would make many enthusiastic about buying this kit and also a buzz for those that have one. Good to see some great positive reporting and great that it was in a stratos.
As for Clarkson, the guys an idiot and does more damage to small car manufactures and the UK car manufactures than anyone. He should be supporting the industry.

john
13-12-2013, 11:41
Only interested in supporting himself that lad.

Like most of his social circle too......