PDA

View Full Version : Plenum badging

Griff
21-02-2014, 18:09
I have been working away at making something to fill the blank space on the plenum. Unfortunately the double sided tape to hold every thing in place seems to be unstable at high (normal engine) temperature. It was supposed to be VHB (Very High Bond) temperature tolerant stuff, but that doesn't appear to be the case. Therefore gents, do you know of a similar tape that would permanently fix this problem? many thanks Griff

Sando
21-02-2014, 21:55
Hi Griff
I use epoxy metal for all sorts of high temp/strength bonding but for something not needing to have much strength, high temp silicone would be something to try it you want it removable, the proper Loctite automotive gasket stuff (5910) though not the B&Q sealants.

Failing that standard Araldite would be a good choice, anything epoxy will stand engine block temps.

Rob

Griff
21-02-2014, 22:40
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/1x-QUALITY-INSTANT-GASKET-85g-CLEAR-RTV-FLEXIBLE-SILICONE-SEALANT-HIGH-TEMP-AUTO-/00/$(KGrHqYOKiIE5drdWOlIBOjt4UVIyQ~~_12.JPG
Rob, many thanks, something like this then? (needs to be clear)

Sando
22-02-2014, 09:18
Yep that should be fine, just make sure everything is really clean that you want sticking, get rid of the slimy double sided tape residue, cellulose thinners good for that but mind your paint and where you put the rag down!

john
22-02-2014, 13:18
Or ask a gas fitter for some flue sealing silicone......

Griff
22-02-2014, 16:17
Got some silicone instant clear gasket this morning, but seeing how it has been clear blue sky today for the first time in............... I decided to take the long way home. Thought the petrol gauge was under reading, but £40 late proved the only faulty component was my memory!!