PDA

View Full Version : Firex problem

ChrisCar6
31-03-2014, 21:45
Another bollox moment!
Discovered the trigger wires for my plumbed-in system have shorn off as they enter the firing cap (When it was out of the car). See picture. Anybody know what's under there? Should be a simple solder job to replace wires, but what could possibly go wrong when you dismantle it? Is there pyrotechnics in there, or is it a solenoid and pin? Not sure what to wear - is it an airbag sort of issue or a 13amp plug sort of issue? Mine clearance gear or am I being too cautious?

turbonutter
01-04-2014, 03:10
Not much to solder to there! - I think i would connect a hose to the extinguisher outlet & lead it to somewhere you dont mind being sprayed with foam? In theory it shouldnt go off, as it needs power to activate whatever is inside...
If its due a service, then best to just send it away for a refill, unless its lifeline in which case its cheaper to but an alternative brand than to have them refill it!

ChrisCar6
02-04-2014, 14:53
Well, this is what's inside. Looks a tad pyrotechnic for my liking. I worry that if i solder on to those tails, it'll go BNAG! Like Dymanite. In my face.
Opinions, before I risk an appearance on the Darwin Awards?

Cadami
02-04-2014, 15:52
Try Googling it??

peteracs
02-04-2014, 15:57
Chris, you could always take a sheet of metal/wood etc, drill small hole, poke the wires through. You stay on the wire side and try applying the soldering iron. That way stay out of harms way?

Peter

turbonutter
02-04-2014, 17:00
Well, this is what's inside. Looks a tad pyrotechnic for my liking. I worry that if i solder on to those tails, it'll go BNAG! Like Dymanite. In my face.
Opinions, before I risk an appearance on the Darwin Awards?

Looks like you have done the hard part, by getting the capsure out!

In theory soldering it should be ok, as you need some power to trigger it.....

But I think i would go with peters saftey tip - or get a mate to do the soldering :)

ChrisCar6
02-04-2014, 17:54
In theory soldering it should be ok, as you need some power to trigger it.....

My worry is the heat from the soldering will provide the power.....
if you see a glow in the north tonight, it might not be the aurora.