PDA

View Full Version : Members Map

The Slug
08-05-2014, 23:00
So at the AGM a members map was asked for, I had been looking for this before but with no luck, however a chat with Paul (Picasso (http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/member.php/244-Picasso)) pointed me in a new direction and we now have one installed on the forum. (Next to the Gallery tab)

You should be able to move the pointers if they are not accurate, (it will take some time to update automatically) however locations like "Middle Earth" and "Outer Mongolia" might take it some time to find!

Currently this is only available to Full members, and it will be up to the full members to decide if it is opened to all users. (Max 1000 users)

Picasso
09-05-2014, 00:09
Thanks Ian,
Could be useful.

Paul.

ducatiman
09-05-2014, 01:33
Well done........................interesting.

peteracs
09-05-2014, 08:37
Hi Ian

Very interesting, thanks.

For those of us that are not on there yet, how do we go about adding ourselves to the map?

Thanks

Peter

ducatiman
09-05-2014, 09:43
I think you will be there somewhere, I initially located myself in London...............?????? Don't ask, I had Lincolnshire down as my location.

The Slug
09-05-2014, 09:53
Hi Ian

Very interesting, thanks.

For those of us that are not on there yet, how do we go about adding ourselves to the map?

Thanks

Peter

Peter,

There's a cron job that handles these things, since resolving IPs to geolocation is an intensive process it only processes a few users at a time, give it a bit of time.

Thanks

STR_Strat
09-05-2014, 10:09
That's a great tool. Looks like Jeffdavison had a lucky escape I was staying in Duluth a few weeks back with time to spare :-(

The Slug
09-05-2014, 10:12
That's a great tool. Looks like Jeffdavison had a lucky escape I was staying in Duluth a few weeks back with time to spare :-(

Yes catswhiskers is in the Middle East at the moment I was bobbing about in the ocean!

Its a bit like hide and seek...good game.. good game

You can drag yourself back.

peteracs
09-05-2014, 10:15
I think you will be there somewhere, I initially located myself in London...............?????? Don't ask as I had Lincolnshire down as my location.

Ok, see what you mean, found Neil in Belgium........

Thanks Ian for sorting this, will keep looking.......

Peter

john
09-05-2014, 10:39
found Neil in Belgium........

Now if we had found Neil in the middle of the ocean then it wouldn't be a surprise. If it did members location in real time anyway!

Jeff
09-05-2014, 11:30
It would seem that "Google is your friend" once more. Excellent Ian. I'm looking forward to seeing where everyone one is, perhaps that'll kick off more "regional" activities once it become apparent how things divide up.

The Slug
09-05-2014, 11:56
Glad I have one friend Jeff even if its only Google!

Jeff
09-05-2014, 12:24
Glad I have one friend Jeff even if its only Google!

I'm not so upset that you finished your car before me, despite starting afterwards.

Honestly ...

strat24v
09-05-2014, 12:30
I've not viewed this on the pc. For security reasons, is think it best that it didn't show the actual, house, street etc, just the area?

The Slug
09-05-2014, 12:49
I've not viewed this on the pc. For security reasons, is think it best that it didn't show the actual, house, street etc, just the area?

John it actually works from the ip address of the pc you joined the site with, so its not that accurate, you also have the option to "opt out" mind, if we all do that then not much point having it, but I agree with you, you dont need to have your pointer at the garage door just a local area and you can move your own pointer.

Darkspeed
09-05-2014, 14:42
Oddly - when joining I also found myself off the coast of Ghana ! - Dragged myself back to Shropshire.

catswhiskers
09-05-2014, 22:46
Yes catswhiskers is in the Middle East at the moment I was bobbing about in the ocean!

Funny that one Ian. I was in Morocco last week as it happens. At least I've dragged myself back home now and my icon on the map too.
Mick

mel lewis
17-06-2014, 11:15
Just a heads up Guys... could everyone posision their "pin" to a location near their home (you dont have to be exact, just close e.g.within 10 miles if you are a little worried about security) as it will help with organising events, meetings, garage days etc etc etc.

Please support this as it is important to the club.

Cheers Mel

mel lewis
17-06-2014, 17:02
Just to add to the above security issue, ONLY SEC members can view the map.

mel

StruanR
17-06-2014, 18:22
Mine is spot on, kettle always ready...:)
Struan

maxlouis
17-06-2014, 22:34
What a well travelled lot we are! I live on a roundabout in Lambeth...

Mine is spot on, kettle always ready...:)
Struan

mel lewis
17-06-2014, 23:46
What a well travelled lot we are! I live on a roundabout in Lambeth...

Is that in a brown paper bag ???

maxlouis
18-06-2014, 00:50
Yes; but it has development potential!

Is that in a brown paper bag ???

mel lewis
26-06-2014, 22:46
Just a heads up Guys... could everyone posision their "pin" to a location near their home (you dont have to be exact, just close e.g.within 10 miles if you are a little worried about security) as it will help with organising events, meetings, garage days etc etc etc.

Please support this as it is important to the club.

Cheers Mel

Lack of interest will result in the removal of this important tool for the club.

YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE

Mel

STR_Strat
26-06-2014, 23:28
I like it Mel I just wish we'd had it earlier. Having spent a weekend in Duluth recently and I see we have a couple of members not too far away (assuming the pins are accurate) if I'd have realised I would have tried to meet up.

Dave

Griff
27-06-2014, 00:03
Being a bit of a luddite, can't find my pin, and don't know how to post it on the map, can one of you "nerdy" IT literate chaps please explain (tried the 2lb precision adjustment tool already)

Jeff
27-06-2014, 09:53
Took me a while to "find" myself :D

I think I was planted in the Southern Atlantic at Lat 0 Deg, Long 0 Deg. I suppose this makes some sense sense, in a strange round about "data not initialised" way. Anyway, now sorted and planted on my current garage. This'll be out of date soon (fingers crossed) as we're hoping to be moving in the next few weeks.

This is definitely worth persevering with.

Jeff

turbonutter
27-06-2014, 11:31
I found mine and put it in the pub across the road :) near enough without giving too much away!

ChrisC
27-06-2014, 11:55
Dragged myself back from deepest Lincolnshire to Bucks. Useful tool.

ChrisCar6
27-06-2014, 18:11
I found mine and put it in the pub across the road :) near enough without giving too much away!
That's where I put my pin! Likely place to find me too!
what do the different pin colours mean?

][\/][ajor
27-06-2014, 20:12

I thought about the local garage and then the pub and then thought some drunken individual is likely to say "oh yeah that's Steve and he lives Blah de Blah" so I just dropped it in the middle of the village.

turbonutter
28-06-2014, 12:07
Well mine was in the pub, but it must have had a few too many and wandered off, as its not there now and i cant find it anywhere !

Guy Mayers
28-06-2014, 13:01
Apparently you're on a boat somewhere in Antarctica....?

turbonutter
28-06-2014, 16:03
Apparently you're on a boat somewhere in Antarctica....?

Thanks Guy, Good find there! It was probably me trying to look at the map on my mobile that moved it by accident! Anyway I am now back in the Pub - or at least on the Patio outside!

Griff
28-06-2014, 21:30
Gents followed your examples, found my pin 300 nautical miles West of Gabon (Equatorial Africa) now plonked in the middle of the village.

mel lewis
12-11-2015, 00:42
Just bringing this thread to the attention of our new members.

Please use it as it will help in locating other members near your location, ( you dont have to be spot on, the nearest town will do ).

More members that use it will make the benifits more obvious.

tipo158
12-11-2015, 02:32
So how often does this get updated? I know of someone near me that is a member that doesn't show on the map. The member is monoposto.

Lancialulu
12-11-2015, 10:27
After I joined I discovered the map but could not see my pointer! Ian suggested looking in the most unlikely places and while I could see folk floating in the mid atlantic I still cound not find me....then a couple of days ago ( after giving up looking for a couple of weeks ) I found "me" lurking at the north pole. So a quick drive down I am now back in Colchester!

red5
12-11-2015, 23:01
Had a good look around and I can't find 'me'?...do all sec members have a pin on the map?

ChrisCar6
12-11-2015, 23:22
Bit lonely up here!

The Slug
12-11-2015, 23:51
Had a good look around and I can't find 'me'?...do all sec members have a pin on the map?

Your all set to have one, mind you do have the the option to turn it off.

powelly999
21-02-2016, 21:38
After playing 'Where's Wally' for a week, FOUND ME! South of Ghana, but now safely home :D

Sando
21-02-2016, 21:52
What do we do when we have 'moved house' Ian? Can we update it?
thanks
Rob

powelly999
21-02-2016, 21:55
You can drag yourself anywhere, I think :-)

The Slug
21-02-2016, 22:07
What do we do when we have 'moved house' Ian? Can we update it?
thanks
Rob

Yes, you can just drag your pin to your new area, I have noticed if you login from on holiday you move as well! mind it appears to be a bit off unless I took my last one in Atlantis!!!

The Slug
22-02-2017, 01:43
Hi everyone....

The old Members map was not working as it should and after a lot of midnight hours I have found out why, so I have removed it.
It worked by tracking your ip, so as you moved about the world so did your location. However if your ip supplier chose to hide its location as some now do, then you never appeared.. not a lot of use!!!

But never fear....

Member map part 2 is now live and I think will work better for all the Paid Members.
Click the Tab "Members Map"

You will then see a message on the left side saying you have not set your location yet.
Click on your pointer, (it appears around Spain I think) and drag it to where you are, you can zoom in to get it accurate, then click the save button again in the top left of the map.

If you need to move yourself again just click "update your location" again top left of the map.

You will also see a search on the right hand side. if you type the name of the member or part of the name in that box it will find that person, or all the people that contain what you have typed for you and zoom in to them when selected. When you have finished just click "Clear Results"

Clearly you can only search for someone if they have positioned themselves and clicked saved.

It will take as long as it takes you guys to following these instructions to become more useful, and whilst its a manual operation, its better than not appearing at all, or finding your going for a swim off Africa!

Enjoy and please do use it so we can get the local groups set up, and start having more meets etc.

Blue pin = Offline
Green pin = On line

Thanks
Ian

Lancialulu
22-02-2017, 08:26
Done! Easy! Shame there wasn't a block import of all the old locations....Well done for sorting this tech problem Ian.

mel lewis
22-02-2017, 11:06
Thank you Ian, Just goes to show how important to the club someone like you is. :cool:

Bernard
22-02-2017, 11:12
Thanks for sorting that Ian

Guy Mayers
22-02-2017, 14:42
Job well done Ian! This new map appears a little more detailed than the last one and was simple to move the location pointer - I managed it with an iPhone on a moving train!

Guy

Marcolino
22-02-2017, 14:55
First located member in germany saying "Thank you Ian".

Marcus

David J
22-02-2017, 16:51
Thank you Ian, the problem with my location icon has been fixed.
David

The Slug
22-02-2017, 17:06
Glad your all finding your way on the map but I would ask you all to have a look at the following please and comment...

http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/3530-Regional-meets?highlight=regional+meets

For the first idea on areas for the regions how about you draw the following lines on the map as is, as a start?

Bristol---------> London Everything below = Southern

Machynlleth---------> Leciester----------> Norwich Below = Central
---------------------------------------------------------Above = Northern

Clearly those are large areas but it's a starting point???????

Lets get some answer's going now before the AGM, I'm sure we don't want to spend 3 hours in a tent talking this point over!

Lets ALL reply on the above link (http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/3530-Regional-meets?highlight=regional+meets) please so it stays in one place.

Longtimefan
22-02-2017, 18:31
Done, thanks Ian, far less confusing.

red5
22-02-2017, 18:51
Now works on iPad, thanks Ian.

LM mic
22-02-2017, 19:00
Done
Merci bien Ian !

The Slug
14-03-2017, 14:57
Could all new members, ( we have had a few in the last few weeks) please update there location on the map please.... and anyone else who is yet to do so..

Thanks..

LPH_UK
14-03-2017, 15:40
Just for info/ I set mine a few months ago and when I just checked it told me that I hadn't set my location yet. Not sure where it went. Have redone it.

The Slug
14-03-2017, 16:28
Yes If You Read Back through Some Of The posts You Will See That This Is A New Map As The Last One Was Not Working As It Should. So we have all had to te-pin ourselves but this version appears to be working fine once done.

LPH_UK
14-03-2017, 17:11
Ah OK - cheers!

I really should read stuff properly - sorry :o

The Slug
14-03-2017, 17:28
It wasn't meant that way.....honest!

LPH_UK
14-03-2017, 18:14
No offence taken, I was being serious - I really should pay more attention! ;)