PDA

View Full Version : Another order for LB

red5
08-06-2014, 11:43
Quick introduction to say hi.

I've been pondering the idea of building a Stratos rep for many years, too many! I built a seven type kit car a couple of years back and thoroughly enjoyed it, I'm now in a position to go the next step and build a Stratos.

Spoke to both LB and Hawk at various kit car shows and I've decided to go the Lister Bell route. It looks a very well thought out kit and the more modern components justify (to me) the cost over the Hawk.

Visited Craig's unit last week and had a very long and informative chat and I've now made my mind up to put down a deposit.
Probably going to be a 9 month wait for the kit. Sourced a low mileage 166 as a donor so gives me plenty of time to get parts in order!

im based in the midlands and I believe there is a few other midlands builders so I'm sure I'll be along for advice..

Cheers Nick

Fingers
08-06-2014, 11:55
Welcome along Nick, and great to hear things are ticking along nicely for LB. Looking fwd to seeing more of you when you start the build. What version and colour are you going for, if you've even decided yet?

The Slug
08-06-2014, 14:34
Red your just up the road from me in Nuneaton. pop over when your free if yoy want to have a look at a LB.

red5
08-06-2014, 18:00
Red your just up the road from me in Nuneaton. pop over when your free if yoy want to have a look at a LB.

Cheers, Ill definitely be taking you up on the offer, I live in Kegworth so just a short blast along the M1.

Welcome along Nick, and great to hear things are ticking along nicely for LB. Looking fwd to seeing more of you when you start the build. What version and colour are you going for, if you've even decided yet?

Not sure on colours as yet, quite like Marlboro livery if I go for the rally look or might just go red with black spoilers, whatever it will be group 4 arches.. As far as engine it will be 3.0 Alfa, I picked up a 166 yesterday and have spent today in the garage making in roads to removing the engine. Just love the Alfa V6, great engine.

Guy Mayers
08-06-2014, 18:57
Put the engine back in and use it for a while just in case there's something wrong with it! Easier to find out now than on the way to the IVA test....

Guy

mel lewis
09-06-2014, 10:50
Put the engine back in and use it for a while just in case there's something wrong with it! Easier to find out now than on the way to the IVA test....

Guy
Excellent advise from Guy.

Also decide what you want from your 166. I used a 166 and also used things like the ECU with key code security, OBD socket, STR mode switch. I would have kept the central locking also if I hadn't rushed things !!!.

Draw up a plan but pulling the 166 apart first is a no no. And DONT CUT the wiring loom. Also you will forget where you had put things off the car and there will be lots of bolts,brackets etc etc that you could restore and use along the way.

Mel

P.S. Welcome to the site, now all you need to do is join the SEC to gain full access to the site.

P.P.S. Also, fly by wire throttle pedal.

red5
09-06-2014, 22:26
Thanks for the usefull advice.

Since collecting I have been using the Alfa and apart from the air conditioning only working when it wants to and the widows coming down and not going back up, all the joys of owning an Alfa, the car is actually very nice.

The thing that worries me is its 12 years old, done 60k miles, I have a wad of receipts but cant find anything for a cam belt change so dont want to risk driving it too much prior to changing the timing belt. Its alot easier to change the belt with the engine out, I have a company Mondeo as a daily so cant see any point in putting the engine back in the Alfa once Ive changed the belts.
Im certainly not planning on rushing into scrapping the car so any pointers on bits to keep much appreciated.

Cheers

Guy Mayers
09-06-2014, 23:44
Change the belts immediately!! Then use it, put at least 2000 miles on it before breaking it so you know it's not using oil and doesn't have any head gasket issues etc etc. There's little worse than putting a duff engine from a known car that you'll be using to get an age related plate after IVA. A rebuild at a later date will be more expensive. As a consequence you might be tempted to just get another engine which, at registration, will probably mean th dreaded "Q" plate which might affect the value of the finished article.

End of the day it's your decision and your build though. You don't have to listen to anyone!

Guy