PDA

View Full Version : Wheels to borrow/rent/buy please for IVA test

hollytree
09-08-2014, 17:41
Hi all
Failed the IVA a couple of weeks ago.
Most of the things I am working through like repeaters behind the front arches, front clam tilting to far forward and obscuring sidelights etc.
I have Craigs coffin spokes on Alfa 5 stud patten 7" on front and 10" on rear. Failed because the wheels/tyres project about 10 -15mm outside of the IVA area of the arch, left front a bit more due to some strange mannerism of Corse panels.

I am looking to borrow/rent/hire or buy if I must a set of narrower wheels to get me through the test if anyone can help.
Any style will do.

Regards
Steve

Jeff
09-08-2014, 18:45
Sorry to hear that Steve. Can't really help with the wheels, but I think you'll only need a pair of narrower front wheels possibly if the front wheels will do on the back of the car?

john
09-08-2014, 20:22
What has been done before is to add a wheelarch extension out of fibreglass or even silicone as a temporary measure to cover the wheel and tyre projection.
Mould it with cardboard and parcel tape. A day's work and a few quid?
Corse bodywork can end up off centre but you don't have to be a genius to get it right. It just takes a little care.
Being aware of the invoices which were flying around for all the "professional" work done on your car, all I can say is it should have been right before it came to you.
Do the fronts clear those big brakes or did you have to fit spacers?

Cadami
09-08-2014, 22:18
Be careful how temporary it looks!! I borrowed a pair of Alan's rear arch extensions to pass IVA

hollytree
10-08-2014, 12:33
John
The arches are nicely done, it may just be the wide wheels and tyres I used.
With the help of Craig and Hispec. Track control arms and bells it all works beautifully.
Regards
Steve

hollytree
10-08-2014, 12:34
Be careful how temporary it looks!! I borrowed a pair of Alan's rear arch extensions to pass IVA

Sorry. Who is Alan and how do I borrow a pair.
What about fronts?
Did yours pass with these

Regards
Steve

john
10-08-2014, 13:03
It's just from your original post you said the left hand side was worse than the right? To me this would imply that however nicely they were done then they are not quite right?!
I have seen invoices for the bodywork on your car and have been told that it cost that much to have it done right. It now seems that it wasn't quite done right at all!
Anyway, none of that is particularly relevant to your problem. Just interesting to me.
For the fronts you would have to make something similar to what is shown in the photo for the rears.
I have just had to shorten the front wishbones and TCA's on Frederic's Corse S by 15mm to accommodate Craig's wheels. I think the LB bodywork is wider overall than the Corse.

catswhiskers
10-08-2014, 14:10
Or you could just put it through the IVA with a set of standard Alfa wheels & tyres. Might look silly but if they don't stick out they can't fail.

Mick

john
10-08-2014, 14:28
This is exactly the kind of situation where you could go round in circles for weeks tho' when it is best to just grasp the nettle and get over it.
Will anyone else's wheels fit over the brakes and have any better offsets?
Best just to do the work.
There is no off the peg solution in Stratos building.

john
10-08-2014, 14:50
[QUOTE=john;21661
There is no off the peg solution in Stratos building.[/QUOTE]
Actually, I'll just correct myself there. There WAS no off the peg solution. Now you can buy an LB!

StruanR
10-08-2014, 15:36
I have a set of 8x15 annd 10x15 Image wheels and tyres, Alfa centres. Deep in Kentish jungle though..
too big I expect (http://www.imagewheels.co.uk/large_wheel_pages/b81.html)
Struan

hollytree
15-08-2014, 15:49
Struan
Thanks for offer and I suspect yours will fit my car but are the same size as mine and likely to be the same problem when fitted.

Though if I could borrow your fronts to use as my rears, that would solve 50% of the problem.

Regards
Steve

StruanR
15-08-2014, 16:43
Yes, fronts are more of a problem. IVA man would not like Alfa space saver spares as they are limited to 50 mph.
Unless you could find unmarked cheap tyres to fit ...
Offset is wrong for Alfa 164 tyre/wheel, but maybe other narrower Alfa wheels?
Welcome to borrow fronts ...

hollytree
24-08-2014, 12:08
Tim - Swamprat33 has offered ti lend me his wheels, however his mailbox is full and I cant PM him.
Tim you need to clean up you mailbox.
Regards
Steve

hollytree
31-08-2014, 19:39
Craig/Tim
I have now worked through the IVA list and have done everything the man picked up, other than building bigger arches, as hopefully we can do the wheel swap.
I think your 7 1/2" rims on the back will be fine.
My fronts are 8" with the outer edge of tyre 2" outboard of the wheel centre cap.
Offside the wheel/tyre is about 3/4" outside the arch at the key measurement points.
Nearside it is 1/2" at rear and 1 1/4" at front. This suggests a bit of toe in, but i dont have any way to set this up yet, so I will adjust to get the minimum projection out of the arch for IVA, but I guess it will be about 1".
Tim if your wheels are 7" front, they key will be the offset and if the tyre edge comes inboard 1".

Regards
Steve

Swamprat33
01-09-2014, 16:28
Hi Steve, I am now back from holiday and have emptied my mailbox.

My wheels are 16" Compomotive MO.
Here is all the info i have for the wheels:
Front:
Size - 7x16
PCD - K
Offset - ET40
Centre bore 63.5
Ford fitting

Rear:
Size - 7.5x16
PCD - K
Offset - ET27
Centre bore 63.5
Ford fitting

They sit inside my front wheelarches and do not protrude like yours.

As i mentioned, I am happy for you to borrow them but i will need the car with wheels to attend the Rally Show at Castle Coombe and also need to get up to Craig @ LB for a few days before then to get some work completed.

Please contact me on PM or ring me to discuss.

Cheers
Tim