PDA

View Full Version : Window knobs for IVA

hollytree
21-08-2014, 13:43
The IVA man did not like the black plastic knobs for the windows that came with my Corse kit.
I cant see any sharp edges, but hey!?
They thread size I have in the back of them is M10.
Can anyone tell me what window knobs get through IVA please?

Regards
Steve

The Slug
21-08-2014, 14:45
Had no issues with the ones Craig supplied, not sure if its M10 mind cant check as i'm at work.

Cadami
21-08-2014, 16:42
That's a new failure area Steve. Does the edge need a specific radius? Temporary cover / pad it out?

STR_Strat
21-08-2014, 17:56
I believe it should have a minimum radius of 2.5mm which is common to all interior fittings that can be contacted by either a 165mm or 100mm sphere dependant on where it is in the car.
If it is a standard M10 thread can you not just buy a couple of round plastic knobs from Eblag and fit them temporarily for the test? it should still be possible to undo and do up, if not easily and then swap them back after.
The ListerBell ones are M8 and although mine, Ian's and several others have passed; technically and if the tester was having a bad day they could have failed due to the lack of a radius on the centre boss. Not sure if Craig has altered them slightly now.

john
21-08-2014, 21:07
I think you will find that the radius required internally is more than 2.5mm. That;s for external surfaces and projections.
19mm rings a bell for inside?

STR_Strat
21-08-2014, 21:30
Interior design features and fittings in the “specified zone” which are contactable with a 165mm sphere must have a radius of curvature of 2.5mm or greater, except where a projection from a panel is less than 3.2mm where the edges must be at least blunted. (see note 3, 4and 9) see annex 1 and 2

The 19mm radius only applies to the bottom edge of the dash panel

john
22-08-2014, 10:49
Right. Different interpretations at different stations again then. Though not been to an IVA for a while. In fact, thinking about it, I've never been to an IVA. Only an SVA!

StruanR
22-08-2014, 12:41
Right. Different interpretations at different stations again then. Though not been to an IVA for a while. In fact, thinking about it, I've never been to an IVA. Only an SVA!

Different interpretations at the same station with different inspectors too.
Built white car to spec that satisfied Gillingham for blue car, different inspector had many different views...:mad:
It is just a case of pot luck on the day, but if you have a list of points to fix you only have those to do. They will not check anything else, as long as you re-submit within the re-test period.
So you often can't give hard and fast rules on what will pass IVA.
I needed to put a longer wiper blade to sweep more of the screen.
Last year that failed the MOT because it did not contact the screen over the full arc, we had to put the shorter blade back on to pass....:rolleyes:
Struan