PDA

View Full Version : Stradale dash layout photos

tipo158
06-10-2014, 17:00
I'm sure that there are photos or diagrams out there, and I could do searches and send hours trying to find them, or someone here knows where they are or has them, but I and getting ready to do the instrument panel on my car. I know the gauge layout, but need a clearer photo or diagram of the switches and lights layout. Most photos I have, the steering wheel is in the way of these.

Thanks,
Corky

LM mic
06-10-2014, 17:34
"once upon a time " on the old forum there was a dedied thread where some one was building an stradale dash with many interesting pics ??? but now I don't see any more where the "old forum or these archives are ?,,,

LM mic
06-10-2014, 17:41
Found this for you ;
http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/90-Instrument-panel?highlight=stradale+dash
Check on post Nb 6 and 7 ...

Hope this helps !

tomsredstratos
06-10-2014, 18:51
Hi Corky,

If you can find your way to my gallery there are some of an original Stratos we had in.

Tom.

Guy Mayers
06-10-2014, 19:16
Found this for you ;
http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/90-Instrument-panel?highlight=stradale+dash
Check on post Nb 6 and 7 ...

Hope this helps !

The mods to the dash binnacle and the additional bulge to the left of the steering wheel on Jeffs car do make it much more like the original layout but the minor gauges and handbrake warning light are all in the wrong place. There ought to be three minor gauges on the top row, two on the lower row with the handrake light under the right half side of the upper minor gauge. There shouldn't be a clock in the dash either.

Headlight switch is in the right place as are the four other switches.

If you don't want to extend the upper lip (which is really needed to avoid reflections in the screen at night) you can recess the front face backwards at the top to create the same effect. Gerry brought it forward on the original Transformer kits as not doing this meant that the longer case clocks fouled the chassis member behind the dash. The shorter case Dino/Fiat 124 Spider/850 Clocks shouldn't suffer this issue!

Guy

Marcolino
06-10-2014, 20:17
This Original Stradale Dashboard was for sale, i think via ebay, about a year ago ...

Marcus

jeffdavison
06-10-2014, 23:39
The objective of my efforts were to put the speedo and tach central to the steering wheel in a more conventional placement and in doing so it opened up the space to be able to put an additional instrument (clock), but this required the other "minor" instruments to be oriented with two across the top and three across the bottom. I did not like the relatively unfinished look of the Hawk dash to the left of the instruments and the lack of the dash "overhang" at the top of the binnacle that the Stradale had (not just the look, but the functionality of the shade it provided), I decided some corrections were called for. Since I have poetic / artistic license on my Hawk I did the nasty and unthinkable. I undertook this endeavor with full knowledge AND intention, that this would not be "correct", but I also wanted a look or aire of originality into the overall dash.
JD

The Slug
07-10-2014, 08:32
Jeff its your car you do what you like..... that what makes them all different, and the fun part of building them.
Who is to say Lancia got it right in the first place!

Guy Mayers
07-10-2014, 08:38
Jeff, please don't think I was being critical of the way you've laid it out, if it works for you that's fine, it was just that Corky wanted the layout per the original car and the link might have led him down the wrong path, the photos on the thread now ought to help him!

Guy

LM mic
07-10-2014, 11:09
Apologise if I have given a wrong indication but as I found Jeff work so nice and just looking nice comparativly to an "real one" I was thinking it may be have existed like so in original one !!!!!!

tipo158
07-10-2014, 16:11
Thanks, I like what Jeff did, but I'm going more traditional with the smaller gauges three on the top row and two on the bottom. I do like the idea of adding a clock since the rally clock will not be part of my setup. Looking at the photos Marcolino posted, I see that additional panel to the left of the steering column. Marcolino, if you could send me the top photo in a PM so that I can get a better look at the switches, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Corky

jeffdavison
07-10-2014, 16:22
not at all Guy, just giving the reasoning behind my madness :)

Paul
07-10-2014, 17:42
Corky

If you don't have one already, I've one of the Fiat clocks that you're welcome to. The glass is cloudy (this happens all of them, although I suspect can be polished back to clear), and time accuracy isn't a strong point either (again, quite normal)!

Thanks, I like what Jeff did, but I'm going more traditional with the smaller gauges three on the top row and two on the bottom. I do like the idea of adding a clock since the rally clock will not be part of my setup. Looking at the photos Marcolino posted, I see that additional panel to the left of the steering column. Marcolino, if you could send me the top photo in a PM so that I can get a better look at the switches, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,
Corky

tipo158
07-10-2014, 19:42
Corky

If you don't have one already, I've one of the Fiat clocks that you're welcome to. The glass is cloudy (this happens all of them, although I suspect can be polished back to clear), and time accuracy isn't a strong point either (again, quite normal)!

Paul, I actually have a Lancia clock, but not sure if I'll use that one, all my gauges are VDO, so I might get a VDO clock.

Corky

tipo158
07-10-2014, 21:45
I've started putting my dash together. Still have protective cover on it. Sorry that it is out of focus.

Corky

LM mic
08-10-2014, 07:41
Hello
I sourced too VDO instruments ; to me they are the one matching more closiest to the original bezel ( only little issue is ; they protude just a little too much from the dash 3or 4 mm )
I solved that in doing bigger holes on dash and spacers behing to locate instruments just at a good looking level
If needed can post some pic to explain how I did

The Slug
08-10-2014, 08:20
We like pics......

tipo158
08-10-2014, 18:33
Look what I found in my parts bin, it is from a 1976 Lancia Beta Coupe. Need these for my dash.

Corky

Guy Mayers
08-10-2014, 19:06
Looks like a 124 Spider dash part too! The only part you need from that is the rheostat on the right plus a black plastic locking ring.

Guy

LM mic
08-10-2014, 20:44
Corky
if needed I have left some black plastic ring ( batch done for many SEC members monthes ago )
PM me if necessary

Guy Mayers
08-10-2014, 21:46
Buy them Corky! Those rings are spot on copies of the originals 124 Coupe sourced parts. The 124 Spider chrome nut doesn't fit properly!

Guy

tipo158
08-10-2014, 22:11
Looks like a 124 Spider dash part too! The only part you need from that is the rheostat on the right plus a black plastic locking ring.

Guy

Now that you mention it Guy, it did come of of a 124 Spyder.

tipo158
08-10-2014, 22:12
Buy them Corky! Those rings are spot on copies of the originals 124 Coupe sourced parts. The 124 Spider chrome nut doesn't fit properly!

Guy

No need to buy them, they have been in my possession for over 2 years.

tipo158
08-10-2014, 22:15
Corky
if needed I have left some black plastic ring ( batch done for many SEC members monthes ago )
PM me if necessary
I think I'm going to try painting these flat black (probably powder coat them).

tipo158
08-10-2014, 22:18
Here is the panel sitting in the dash board. I figured out why these have been out of focus, the auto select focus was turned off.

Corky

maxlouis
09-10-2014, 16:34

Photo of the switches - hope it helps.

Thanks

I'm sure that there are photos or diagrams out there, and I could do searches and send hours trying to find them, or someone here knows where they are or has them, but I and getting ready to do the instrument panel on my car. I know the gauge layout, but need a clearer photo or diagram of the switches and lights layout. Most photos I have, the steering wheel is in the way of these.

Thanks,
Corky

Jeff
10-10-2014, 14:36
Here's my RHD stradale dash. I didn't choose to find any original "clocks and gauges" so these are from ETB. The switches and other bits where found wherever possible. I know they're not right, but they look the part. All the "chrome dots" are the warning and indicator lights as the instruments don't contain any supporting function lights (eg indicators or main beam).

tipo158
11-10-2014, 02:33

Photo of the switches - hope it helps.

Thanks

So, can you tell me what they are from left to right? My rocker switches look different, I have two that look like the forst two, but none like the last two.

Corky

davehanman
11-10-2014, 06:39
From left to right:

Fan
Light
Light
Morse Code Generator

So, can you tell me what they are from left to right? My rocker switches look different, I have two that look like the forst two, but none like the last two.

Corky

Jeff
11-10-2014, 09:18
Morse Code Generator

Yes, but only the letter "S"

:rolleyes:

tipo158
12-10-2014, 17:37
From left to right:

Fan
Light
Light
Morse Code Generator

Right Dave, I got the fan, headlights and interior lights, but the last one got me, thanks for the clarification, I need to find one with ---, then I can cycle them to send an 'SOS'. LOL

maxlouis
12-10-2014, 18:01

Corky
I think, but not certain, that the markings on the last two switches were unique to the Stradale and from L to R are - ventilation fan, head lights, cabin light and the last one is referenced in the manual as 'interuttore disponibile' (spare), so ideal for the morse code machine...

Guy Mayers
12-10-2014, 18:58
I think, but not certain, that the markings on the last two switches were unique to the Stradale and from L to R are - ventilation fan, head lights, cabin light and the last one is referenced in the manual as 'interuttore disponibile' (spare), so ideal for the morse code machine...

Sorry but it's not headlights, that switch isn't on the dashboard ally plate but on the left side of the dash panel, you can see it in the pics posted earlier. The switches are ventilation fan, front fog lights, overhead light and a spare.

Guy

Strat Fan
12-10-2014, 22:14
Where was the Hazard light switch on a real Stratos or was it simply not fitted?

Jeff
13-10-2014, 07:28
Probably not fitted. My '73 MGBGT doesnt have any hazzard lights either.

The hazzard light switch on my dash came from the monte hospital.

Guy Mayers
13-10-2014, 08:35
I think hazard lights became compulsory around 1978 along with rear fog lights in the UK? Not sure about other markets but Germany has some weird rules like the front seats must be tippable to allow access to the back of the car. So, if you come across a German market Stratos one of it's seats folds forward. Bureaucrats!

Guy

maxlouis
13-10-2014, 08:40
Sorry but it's not headlights, that switch isn't on the dashboard ally plate but on the left side of the dash panel, you can see it in the pics posted earlier. The switches are ventilation fan, front fog lights, overhead light and a spare.

Guy

Guy's absolutely right; had forgotten that :) Here's another pic that shows the headlight switch to the left of the dash.7243

Strat Fan
13-10-2014, 12:01
I was aware of the correct light switch position & the lack of a rear fog light but had never noticed the lack of a Hazard switch before. You do sometimes see pictures where a Hazard switch has been grafted in but the reason why had passed me by.
Not the most integrated example I appreciate.7244

tipo158
17-10-2014, 03:50
I think the last several post were posted in the wrong place, they don't seem to have anything to do with the dash layout.

Corky

Sando
17-10-2014, 07:33
Sorted
Matt . I've moved your posts to a new thread called 'Matt's Stradale'. Let me know by IM if you would like it to be called something else.
Rob

maxlouis
17-10-2014, 08:06
Thanks Rob!
Sorted
Matt . I've moved your posts to a new thread called 'Matt's Stradale'. Let me know by IM if you would like it to be called something else.
Rob

monoposto
09-11-2014, 01:27
I picked up a gauge cluster out of a 124 today. After looking at this thread I realized it did not come with oil temp. Or the amp gauge. Do these come out of a 124 as well or something else?

Guy Mayers
09-11-2014, 07:16
No, the oil temperature gauge is Fiat Dino Coupe and the ammeter is aftermarket. If you're going to run a 4 cylinder engine then the 124 tacho will read correctly but if you're planning the V6 route then it'll need a modification to the electronics to read right or 4000 will show 6000 on the gauge, 6000 will show 9000 on the gauge. Not critical if you can live with it.

Check the classifieds, I think I;ve still got an ammeter and oil temperature gauge pair for sale. I've also got a full set of Dino gauges available too including the ammeter.

Guy

][\/][ajor
09-11-2014, 10:18
If you're going to run a 4 cylinder engine then the 124 tacho will read correctly but if you're planning the V6 route then it'll need a modification to the electronics to read right or 4000 will show 6000 on the gauge, 6000 will show 9000 on the gauge.

Guy

When I bought my car from Dave that's what my tacho was doing as he'd originally built the car with the Beta engine. I took the back off the tacho and found a potentiometer which if I recall correctly was 'locked' in place with a small amount of glue. I removed the glue and adjusted the potentiometer whist using a digital rev counter working on the HT leads and found that with full adjustment (I think clockwise) the tacho read perfect. Not even an 'oh it will do'....bang on! Not sure if everyone's will be the same but it worked from me and saved a few quid and it's got to be worth a try. http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Happy/happy-047.gif

monoposto
09-11-2014, 17:24
I will check it out guy. Do the people who run a v6 use a different tach?

Thanks,

Spencer

Guy Mayers
09-11-2014, 17:59
Generally it's the Fiat 124 as it's the most common one. The 124 Coupe has long cases but the Spider has a short one with the face of the gauge closer to the glass. The closest to the original is the Fiat Dino Coupe gauge set though.

Guy