PDA

View Full Version : New member from North Yorkshire / Sweden

Spartan
02-01-2015, 12:19
Hi

I've been 'lurking' here for a while but waited until the beginning of the New Year to become a fully paid-up member - proof that I've lived in Yorkshire long enough (originally from Essex), although I spend most of my 'working' life in Sweden.

I've previously completed a ground-up restoration of a Lancia Beta Coupé Volumex - engine and blower worked/reworked by Guy Croft. I thought long and hard about putting this engine in a Stratos kit back then but, in the end (and very surprisingly given their bad press), the condition of the Beta was too good to just discard.

Now looking to build a Lister Bell with Alfa V6 engine. Based on previous experience, I know that I'm about to embark on a long but ultimately very rewarding (except in the pocket) journey. My build is going to be complicated by the fact that the first item on the list will have to be some sort of shed, garage, 'man cave' since, besides learning that anything I put down disappears into a wormhole, only to reappear at some distant point in space/time, I've also learned that I want to keep any al fresco 'engineering' in my past.

All the best and Happy New Year to everybody - thanks for having me!

David Gregory

Jeff
02-01-2015, 13:22
Morning and welcome. The "Phase 1: Build Man Cave" is not that an uncommon starting point so you're in good company there.

All the best,
Jeff.

The Slug
02-01-2015, 15:57
Hello David Welcome to the fold, and man cave building site.....

It must be hurting when you find out you could have joined in October and still had your membership through till Dec 2015....lol
Hopefully that will be the only disappointment you have with the whole experience of building etc.
It may not take as long as you think.....

Good luck and remember there are no silly questions..... I asked them all before...

Ian

catswhiskers
02-01-2015, 21:45
Hello David from a fellow Lister Bell builder (and my third Stratos replica build). Welcome to the asylum and have fun searching out all the info you need. And remember the only silly question is one that isn't asked.

Cheers,
Mick

Steve C
02-01-2015, 22:04
David

Welcome, I echo the previous comments. Best thing is to try and enjoy the experience!

Steve

(bruised knuckles, no money but a grin every time I walk into the man cave!)

ironman523
03-01-2015, 09:57
Welcome to the forum, As a new builder of a LB myself if you haven't already done it get your deposit down on the car before the shed base.
cheers
Rob

LM mic
03-01-2015, 10:49
Welcome to the Forum and I agree ++++ with Rob !! due to the hudge booking Craig list you will have plenty of time to organise your "cave" once deposit is done and this will give you good directions to go for sourcing needed part depending on the model you want to built ; Stradale , gr4 , road car or trackcar etc etc
Good luck with your project and keep us informed !

Spartan
03-01-2015, 21:26
Thanks very much for the warm welcome everybody!

And the advice re: deposit - hadn't thought of that ... I'll just wait to see how much the 'nice' taxman is going to leave me after SATR but hopefully get it paid next week. Cheers.

jolle55
05-01-2015, 11:49
Where in sweden do you live?
Im also from sweden, Huskvarna, and i dream of building my own listerbell. But i havent got the money yet ;)

Spartan
06-01-2015, 10:25
Where in sweden do you live?
Im also from sweden, Huskvarna ...

I am in Sandviken (Gävleborg), working for Sandvik (surprise, surprise!). Of course Sweden has great history & connections with the Stratos.

Did anyone see this (back in September 2014 I think)? STRATOS RETURN FOR EX-CHAMP WALDEGÅRD (http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june/rallyday/page/1544--12-12-.html)

Unfortuntely, the legend himself died just the month before and his place was taken by (Finn) Markku Alén:
ALÉN HEADS WALDEGÅRD STRATOS TRIBUTE (http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/september/rallyday/page/1784--12-12-.html)

RIP Björn Waldegård.

ProtoTipo
06-01-2015, 12:25
Did anyone see this (back in September 2014 I think)? STRATOS RETURN FOR EX-CHAMP WALDEGÅRD (http://www.wrc.com/en/wrc/news/june/rallyday/page/1544--12-12-.html)

It was a big day for the club David (see here (http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/2608-September-rallyday-castlecombe-circuit/page6)).

The Slug
06-01-2015, 12:27
Yes the club had a stand at the show and Sando was lucky enough to have Markku Alén drive his car around the circuit, there should be some photos of the event maybe under events section.

Sando
06-01-2015, 18:47
Very Proud Monkey
and yes the autograph is now lacquered over too!

Spartan
07-01-2015, 20:02
Wow - just wow!

Sorry to be such a 'noob'.

What a great club!

Spartan
23-01-2015, 09:51
Deposit paid, I've joined the queue! Do I start a build thread now? ;)

Seriously - I would welcome suggestions as to what i should be doing while I wait (apart from building the man-cave) ...

LM mic
23-01-2015, 13:17
""I would welcome suggestions as to what i should be doing while I wait (apart from building the man-cave) ...[/QUOTE]""

You can start to source all "NOS" items needed to built the kit ; door handles ( rare nowdays !!) etc etc and eventually clean and set up you engine and gearbox after sourcing it ?

Question ? ; what's your kit choice ? Stradale ... Gr4 ???

And ... Welcome to the " LB "waiting lounge" club " LOL

Spartan
23-01-2015, 13:39
Thanks - actually I've already started doing that! I remember one of the (strangely?) enjoyable parts of restoring my Beta was tracking down all those NOS parts - like digging up buried treasure. :D

It will be a Stradale.

I'm in contact with Craig already because - and I know it's pretty premature - I find out someone locally (within 5 mins of our house and we live in a pretty remote part of Yorkshire) has a 156 2.5 V6, 60k miles, that still runs and drives perfectly that they will let me have for just a few hundred pounds.

The Slug
23-01-2015, 15:00
Well if you get that you will have plenty to do driving it to make sure it works ok, then stripping and refurbing bits etc.
You could also get the parts you need from Craig before you get the kit so you know you have all the bits ready for when the Chassis does arrives, no point in waiting for them afterwards.

Enjoy

teflonbiker
27-01-2015, 23:39
Whereabouts in North Yorkshire do you live?

Spartan
28-01-2015, 07:51
Whereabouts in North Yorkshire do you live?

Near Skipton (when I'm not in Sweden).

Spartan
28-01-2015, 15:57
Just purchased my donor vehicle (156 2.5 V6) but didn't realise how difficult this might end up being - she's too good to break?!

The colour - what I'd call "baby blue" - is officially known as "Azzurro Achille" (AR405A) and apparently 1 of only 7 cars of this colour in the UK?

john butts
29-01-2015, 14:38
Near Skipton (when I'm not in Sweden).
john butts i am only 39 miles from you come over any time if you need help

Spartan
30-01-2015, 01:12
john butts i am only 39 miles from you come over any time if you need help

Thanks John - will do! I know the A65 over to you very well as a mate works for BAE in Barrow.