PDA

View Full Version : Just joined from California

srwhitman
04-02-2015, 08:11
I have been in love with the Stratos, well, since I saw pics of them. Never seen in one person. I live in the Bay Area and I gather there is one around here somewhere as I saw on LB's site that there is one of their owners who took it to the Hillsborough Concours last year. Would love to see it/sit in it.

I've currently got a bit of a collection (although I never really thought of it as such) of mostly sports or sporty cars. Why do I need yet *another* one? Well, the wife isn't totally against it - either I'd have to sell one (yuck) or I will have to wait til I win the lottery or send off the kids to college.

I just completed a 3 year project of building this car: https://www.flickr.com/photos/srwhitman/sets/72157650413872226/

2000 parts, real wire wheels, lots of hours (I lost track of how many - probably several hundred at least). I figure if I have the patience for that, I could build a Lister Bell. However, I've never ever tried anything of that magnitude. I have changed oil, brake pads, spark plugs and done some other basic stuff. What sort of tools does one need for this venture? I gather that not everything comes in the kit (and certainly not the engine). I don't know how good the instructions are. I don't mind diving in but I guess I'm a bit worried that I won't be able to finish it without either multiple helpers, expensive tools or whatever. I certainly know enough race shops in my area that could help - but part of the reward (for me at least) is building the thing!

Looking forward to catching up with what everyone on here is doing.

Scott

The Slug
04-02-2015, 10:02
Hello Scott, welcome to the forum....

If you can build that Alfa you will have no issues building a LB all it takes is a bit of common sense, ask questions (We all do) and listen to how others have done theirs, You don't have to do it the same but does give you a good idea how to do it and of course above all join the Club and get full access to the forum along with the builds and technical sections. (Link at the top of the page)

Instructions, as I type there are none, but the kit is so designed that it is almost obvious where it all goes and if your not sure you can always ask Craig or the club. By the time you get your Car there well may be some instructions, but as folk make the car how they want it you will be skipping over most of it.

Not sure what Regs you have to follow in USA, but here we build using the IVA manual in the back of our minds so you have a chance to pass the examination when the car is presented. so far I don't think anything major has popped up for anyone.

I'm sure others will be along with there opinions soon enough.

Wellcome.

Bernard
04-02-2015, 12:20
Hello Scott, welcome to the forum....

If you can build that Alfa you will have no issues building a LB all it takes is a bit of common sense, ask questions (We all do) and listen to how others have done theirs, You don't have to do it the same but does give you a good idea how to do it and of course above all join the Club and get full access to the forum along with the builds and technical sections. (Link at the top of the page)

Instructions, as I type there are none, but the kit is so designed that it is almost obvious where it all goes and if your not sure you can always ask Craig or the club. By the time you get your Car there well may be some instructions, but as folk make the car how they want it you will be skipping over most of it.

Not sure what Regs you have to follow in USA, but here we build using the IVA manual in the back of our minds so you have a chance to pass the examination when the car is presented. so far I don't think anything major has popped up for anyone.

I'm sure others will be along with there opinions soon enough.

Wellcome.

Welcome.... however there will be differences between building a 1:8 (?) scale model to a 1:1 scale model !............

The Slug
04-02-2015, 15:56
Phil I built one, so how hard can it be????

Bernard
04-02-2015, 16:26
Phil I built one so who hard can it be????

..................... was that the 1:8th ???... LOL

srwhitman
04-02-2015, 16:49
Yes. I wanted to see how long it would take before someone realized that the Alfa is a model. Its a Pocher 1/8 scale. But still, it requires an amazing amount of work and patience. I of course didn't get everything right but it came out pretty good. It has a lot of working parts but of course I don't have to put my life in my hands (of my own handiwork).

Darkspeed
04-02-2015, 23:22
See my thread in the Litton builds to see if putting your life in the hands of one built by another is a preference.....

If you can do or would not be afraid to tackle every aspect of maintenance and service on your own car - then building a car such as the LB should not be a problem. If you are happy with 75% of the tasks - make sure you have a ready supply of beer and treats for the mechanically gifted mate you rope in to assist with those parts - if you don't have any mates that make the grade I would imagine if you cover flights, board and beers - you will have a selection of SEC Stratos building winter sunseekers negotiating an excess baggage allowance for the return trip home.

The Tiger is nice.

Yes. I wanted to see how long it would take before someone realized that the Alfa is a model. Its a Pocher 1/8 scale. But still, it requires an amazing amount of work and patience. I of course didn't get everything right but it came out pretty good. It has a lot of working parts but of course I don't have to put my life in my hands (of my own handiwork).

Paul
05-02-2015, 06:23
Hi Scott
Welcome to the club - it's great to see more US members coming on board. Maybe we'll see more than one car in the same place at the same time sometime soon!
I'm the owner of the car you referenced above (see PM I sent earlier). I'm happy to help in any way I can.

Regarding the point made on US regs, California only requires money, dealing with DMV bureaucracy, and the smog police. Safety was a joke - the only thing I needed to get signed off related to standard of build was that the lights and brakes were functional. When the tester saw the car, he didn't want to try and drive it so just asked me what distance I thought the car would take to stop from 25mph - I think I said 20ft (which is the requirement) and that was it. For that reason it'd a good idea to defer to the collective wisdom of the more experienced club members on the forum, the kit manufacturers guidelines as well as the value you put on safety margins and equipment as you spec out a car. In my view, the new kits available today are very well engineered, but there's still a wide range of options when it comes to how you configure it that's all part of the fun.

Like yourself (and many others on the forum), it was my first time taking on a project of this magnitude, but if you enjoy building things (the Alfa kit is proof of that!), take your time, ask for help when unsure, it's very doable.

Regards
Paul

ChrisCar6
05-02-2015, 13:40

You're going to need bigger hammers.

The Slug
05-02-2015, 13:53
..................... was that the 1:8th ???... LOL

Hell no if you have seen my attempts at airfix you will see why I went bigger and did the full size one....

A guy in the next street is making a model steam engine, well you should see it...... pistons, rivets, the boiler etc all from sheet metal.
If you can do that, this, all be it different, should be a breeze with a few questions, well on a LB anyway.