PDA

View Full Version : Curborough sprint day 2015

The Slug
18-02-2015, 10:51
Would any of you be interested in going to Curborough sprint course now that it has been changed to include a crossover in the center of the track?
It would be a mid week event, and bring what you like. Strats hopefully, but then we don't all have one of those....
Cost would be about £60 and a max of 20 cars.... additional drivers £20.

Dates will be 18th June, if we don't get enough people which is likely I will ask other club to fill in the places....

Starts at 09:30 and runs till 17:30, and runs all day.....
A fish and chip run or the like will be done on the day (Separate cost)

You should get in about 10-15 runs if you up for it!

What do you all think???????

Answer to some of the questions asked so far...

1. You will need a helmet but thats all.
2. The car does need to be safe... Does not need to have been registered or have a current MOT, but must be of driveable quality.
3. Car are split into classes and timed with stopwatches so not a serious event per se, its for fun, but with a timed element.
4. £30 non returnable deposit is required direct to the organizer not the Club.
5. Last date for deposit paid is March 29th then I will offer it to other clubs to get the numbers.
6. I'm told on average you will get between 10-15 runs

For those seriously interested PM me and I will give you the details of where to send the Deposit.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/b6AP03_ahYM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

Attendees so far:

Jeff
Martyn H +4
Bob
Ian
Neil
Giorgio
David E
John
Geraint

So far we have 6 strats, 1x austin healey rally 3000, chevette HSR, Nissan 300zx, and others...

STR_Strat
18-02-2015, 18:34
Hi Ian,

I would need to check the date, but yes I would be interested.
Dave

Jeff
19-02-2015, 18:33
Interested too (the missus has given approval). Would need to understand the required status of the car (as there's a possibility that it still will not be on the road by then) and requirements regarding personal safety equipment (as I don't have any).

Cheers.

turbonutter
19-02-2015, 19:49
Its a while since I have been to Curborough, so I am intrested, just need to check I will be free that day, I should be as its a tuesday....

Is it an organised sprint, or a special event? i.e. are we running to any specific rules?

Darkspeed
19-02-2015, 20:03
A few of us in the Midlands grab Curby twice a year for a bit of fun

Status of the car - ;) there is no required status for the car - running and stopping and capable of making it round keeping you in one piece - just apply a common sense approach - generally when we hire many are not road legal or registered for the road. Quite a few needing extensive spannering and fettling to make it from Car park to track .;)

There is no maximum limit for safety gear - but minimum is a crash hat - begged borrowed or stolen -no need for a listed approved etc. as its not a competition its a fun day. It's nice to have someone who has a basic knowledge of first aid just in case the worst happens - you just look out for each other.

We have a broad church and just about anything turns up - Ginetta, Palmer, Radical, Caterham, Westfield, MX5, Evo, Fisher, Pilbeam Judd, Lotus formula, Pilbeam Hart, Imp special, Atom - etc. etc. 50/50 split normally of driven/trailered.

Don't expect to use too many gears.

Interested too (the missus has given approval). Would need to understand the required status of the car (as there's a possibility that it still will not be on the road by then) and requirements regarding personal safety equipment (as I don't have any).

Cheers.

Jeff
19-02-2015, 20:14
Don't expect to use too many gears.

Oh .. I've still to get past fourth gear, that seemed fairly quick to me, perhaps I'm getting older :confused:

Thanks for the guidance.

Sando
19-02-2015, 20:21
If I'm around I'll be there - just cant commit to much this year due to work and house move (hopefully)
(and even more hopefully with a better Garage!)

ChrisCar6
19-02-2015, 22:56
Whre is Curborough?

turbonutter
19-02-2015, 23:40
Whre is Curborough?

Midlands - Near Burton on trent http://user28967.vs.easily.co.uk/location-of-curborough-sprint-course/

turbonutter
19-02-2015, 23:44
Oh .. I've still to get past fourth gear, that seemed fairly quick to me, perhaps I'm getting older :confused:

Thanks for the guidance.

I doubt you need more than 3rd at curborough if you have a stock alfa box.... so you will be fine.

You can do this in 2nd gear there....

Jeff
20-02-2015, 00:05
You can do this in 2nd gear there....

I doubt that I will manage it, even if others do.

turbonutter
20-02-2015, 04:46
Ok So I was getting carried away with the thought of a day at Curborough, I have just been reminded that I will most likely be back on the ship by then :( wont know for sure for a couple of months......

STR_Strat
20-02-2015, 08:41
No problem Neil, just leave the keys under the wheel arch :-)

turbonutter
21-02-2015, 06:08
No problem Neil, just leave the keys under the wheel arch :-)

Now why didnt I think of that ;):rolleyes:

The Slug
25-02-2015, 13:29
Additional details now on the first post.

mariner
26-02-2015, 14:20
Hi Ian,

Interested in this event as it will make a good change from the usual track days I do.

Have sent you a PM for the payment details.

rgds Bob

The Slug
26-02-2015, 15:53
Just to let you all Know the date has had to change to Thursday 18th June......

Jeff
26-02-2015, 16:00

Cool, that's much better for me :D

Deposit paid.

mariner
26-02-2015, 21:27

Revised date still okay for me and deposit paid

Cadami
27-02-2015, 23:19
Ian, I'd been interested.....

The Slug
02-03-2015, 20:23
6 booked so far, any more want to come and have a laugh and a good day?

turbonutter
03-03-2015, 03:21
Still only 4 names on the first post though, so who are the other two....?

We are delayed here in Houston, due to congestion & now we have been fog bound for 2 days, so its 99% i will be home till the 18th, so count me in.

Ian PM sent for details..

The Slug
03-03-2015, 11:01
Not sure myself Neil as the bookings are going through Dan, I understand someone has booked 4 places.

It will be a surprise when we all get there... More the merrier I say.

Pm with details sent Neil.

STR_Strat
05-03-2015, 19:35
Hi Ian,

PM sent for details on how to book.

Thanks
Dave

The Slug
19-03-2015, 01:18
Did you book Dave?
Spaces are getting low now only 5 spaces left.....

STR_Strat
19-03-2015, 07:55
Hi Ian,

Yes I have booked (just), waiting for confirmation.

Cheers
Dave

catswhiskers
19-03-2015, 10:12
If I get chance, I might pop down to have a look and meet up with everyone. It's a great little track, I had some training there last year in my Alfa twin cam. Needless to say I need much more practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11xSXqPJCzo

Mick

The Slug
19-03-2015, 10:15
Bring the Yellow Peril for a steady run Mick.......

Bernard
19-03-2015, 11:27
If I get chance, I might pop down to have a look and meet up with everyone. It's a great little track, I had some training there last year in my Alfa twin cam. Needless to say I need much more practice.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=11xSXqPJCzo

Mick

Looks like "Alfie" was going ok Mick .....

catswhiskers
20-03-2015, 10:03
Looks like "Alfie" was going ok Mick .....

Yes Phil,
That was just after I'd had the carbs overhauled. Made such a difference running on 4 cylinders.:)

Mick

Darkspeed
24-03-2015, 00:48
Using this many gears

https://youtu.be/7Bzrkfh4JJk

And doing what you do when missing the braking point after going for it down the straight.

The Slug
26-03-2015, 09:10
Anyone else interested in coming before it gets passed to another club to fill the last few places?

Speak now.......

ironman523
27-03-2015, 11:08
Yes,I wouldn't mind having a lash at that so count me in if you could let me know how to send the deposit thanks.
Rob

Media
28-03-2015, 10:29
Any chance of booking my Clio in on this event.

Geraint

The Slug
02-06-2015, 09:55
Final details will be sent out to those booked soon, if you have not received them already.....

See you all on the day..

turbonutter
02-06-2015, 18:08
Final details will be sent out to those booked soon if you have not received them already.....

You you all soon..

Got mine- just need to get the engine tuned then I am ready!

carol
10-06-2015, 08:33
Does anyone require any Polo shirts, jackets, tee-shirts or rugby shirts? if so what size and i shall try to bring along your sizes.
Thank you

turbonutter
11-06-2015, 19:19
So holiday over, rolling road booking confirmed for Monday, so looks good for a fully functional car at curborough- just no time to get used to the car with the turbo on it again!!

The Slug
11-06-2015, 22:58
Just take it steady you have all day to get used to it Run after Run after run!!!!

Any one else want to join us>>>>>>

ducatiman
12-06-2015, 01:39
All being well I'll hopefully be there..........................not in the stratos though.......:(:(

STR_Strat
12-06-2015, 07:48
Does anyone require any Polo shirts, jackets, tee-shirts or rugby shirts? if so what size and i shall try to bring along your sizes.
Thank you

Hi Carol,

A white Polo in medium please for me.

Thanks

Dave

carol
15-06-2015, 20:08
David Waiting for the order to arrive, shall chase it up to-morrow,
Refreshments, we will be bringing along a stove to boil water for brews, if you wish to join in , bring along your mugs.
Regards John & Carol

turbonutter
15-06-2015, 21:36
Mapping session went well today, no big power numbers to impress anyone, but a good safe 475bhp.
Also with all the logging I have , it looks like we have found the big contributing factor to the previous problems.....

See he's you at curborough ��

Bernard
16-06-2015, 08:09
"it looks like we have found the big contributing factor to the previous problems.....".................

And they were ??

Also where was the rolling road you used ?

Cheers

Phil

turbonutter
16-06-2015, 09:04
"it looks like we have found the big contributing factor to the previous problems.....".................

And they were ??

Also where was the rolling road you used ?

Cheers

Phil

As we know the dreaded DET is caused by either toom much ignition timing or heat, or a combination of both, & my Haltech map had very little temp compensation until it was too late.

Looking at the Logging data from my ECU, it is clear that at 0.9 bar the exhaust pressure is above the Boost pressure, which during overlap allows the Exhaust to flow back to the cylinder increasing the cylinder temp & reducing the amount of new mixture in the cylinder... It would only get worse as the boost rose further. This would also explain why the fuel map on the haltech was "strange" over 1bar.

So for now I am sticking to 0.9bar boos as a maximum, to keep things safe... Its still got 475BHP, which is enough for now.....

That rolling road was at Ric Wood Motorsport (http://www.ricwood.com/rollingroad.html) in Stockport.

The Slug
16-06-2015, 10:01
Looking good for Thursday, and the weather should be good as well.

strat24v
16-06-2015, 11:48
So Neil, does that mean having a shorter, straighter and bigger bore exhaust?

turbonutter
16-06-2015, 11:59
So Neil, does that mean having a shorter, straighter and bigger bore exhaust?
No a less restrictive turbo exhaust housing, but that gives more lag, so maybe to get more power I need a smaller turbo (compressor side) with a bigger turbine housing..... I need to do a lot of investigation on this one!

strat24v
16-06-2015, 12:04
The joys of development. Seems what one gains on the swings, one loses on the roundabout. Keep at it!

turbonutter
16-06-2015, 13:16
Real fun isn't it !

talking to Ric wood (cnc heads) at the dyno yesterday he had a similar issue on his 1200bhp 1200lbft skyline engine. He used the recommended turbos, but just couldn't control them - he ended up using a turbo 2 sizes smaller and still made the same figures.

talking to him together with my tuner, the goal will be a smaller turbo which we want to be making decent boost by 2000 rpm and one that will not choke the engine at over 500 bhp..... Apparently with today's technology it should be possible. It's a case of seeing what is available and hopefully there is something that will fit with my v band flanges!

turbonutter
16-06-2015, 22:31
Looks like I wont make it to Curboough.....................:(:(

Just been out for a prictice drive on the road, car worked great, pulled back on the drive after the third run out today & NO CLUTCH!!!!!!!!

Pedal Works, but pressing the clutch makes a grating sound, so I think the release bearing has failed - Which wouldnt be an issue if I had a spare, but I dont....... Best I can do is try to bleed it tomorrow & hope.....Cant bleed it now as the bleed nipple is next to a hot exhaust/turbo....

LM mic
16-06-2015, 22:50
Release bearing failed or ..... spring clutch have gone too far and now is dramaticly bended ? Is it a new set up or did you have this one before ( I mean clearance in beetween central spring clutch and release bearing ?)

turbonutter
16-06-2015, 22:59
Release bearing failed or ..... spring clutch have gone too far and now is dramaticly bended ? Is it a new set up or did you have this one before ( I mean clearance in beetween central spring clutch and release bearing ?)

Its the same set up as I had since I fitted the Toyota box 2 or 3 years ago, so it's well tested, in fact it's the same as when I had the Alfa box.
The grating sound is when I press the pedal- without trying to select a gear... Sounds to my engineering ears like the bearing - it doesn't sound fixable without spares and it's an engine out job. If I knew what I needed and had the parts, it's a days job......

LM mic
17-06-2015, 08:02
Damneeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed ! ouchhhhhhhhhh
Bon courage mon ami !

turbonutter
17-06-2015, 11:25
OK So Spent the last Hour and a half In the Garage - The car needs spare parts to make it better & that just isnt going to happen before tomorrow, so sorry Guys no way I will be at Curborough :(:(..

Having Changed the Clutch Fluid Completely and Bled the Circuit, Still no gears with the engine running, But no problem to select them with the engine stopped.

Removed the cover from the Back of the flywheel & checked - yes the clutch is clearing, both plates are free. Tried gears again - no chance - Car Is on stands, so started the engine in gear & managed to go through all the gears reasonably well, but with some strange noise from the clutch...

Checked the Clutch disks with the engine stopped and in gear & clutch pressed & hey presto problem found - The clutch plate nearest to the flywheel is no longer connected to the gearbox input shaft. So either the input shaft spline or clutch plate spline is damaged or the hub has come detatched from the plate... Its not possible to see that unless I strip it all down, which is a good days job, so it will have to wait until I am back from work, as I am away again next week :(

LM mic
17-06-2015, 12:13
Wowwww what a shame after all this work done onto your engine !!!!!
Do you confirm having only 2 disks ? Don't you think taht with that new power ( 550 hp ?) you need now 3 plates and smaller diameter clutch
What brand are you using Borg and beck ,AP or Tilton ?

turbonutter
17-06-2015, 12:21
Wowwww what a shame after all this work done onto your engine !!!!!
Do you confirm having only 2 disks ? Don't you think taht with that new power ( 550 hp ?) you need now 3 plates and smaller diameter clutch
What brand are you using Borg and beck ,AP or Tilton ?

Its very Frustrating!

Clutch is a Tilton 7-1/4" twin Ceremetalic Paddle Clutch Rated for 600lb/ft, so should be ample. & Currently I am only running 0.9 bat, so 470BHP 380Lb/ft...

I dont think I have enough space for a tripple plate clutch. I have never been fully happy with the clutch, so may try something different...

Bernard
17-06-2015, 12:59
Sh*t Neil................... forget the gearbox just install Warp Drive !

Dr Spock

Sorry to hear about your woe's

The Slug
17-06-2015, 15:24
Sorry to hear about the problems Neil hope you find a solution before the next track day is sorted.

turbonutter
19-06-2015, 11:30
So how did it go yesterday?

STR_Strat
19-06-2015, 12:27
It was an excellent day Neil. Nice little circuit and very relaxed atmosphere, it wasn't "over organised" which can happen some times.
4 Strats in all Mine, John, Bob, and Geoff.
There were plenty of camera's there so hopefully some pictures will be posted soon, had a couple of moments one of which was captured by a drone camera so that will no doubt be making an appearance.
I wasn't sure would like the sprint format but would definitely do another.

Dave

turbonutter
19-06-2015, 13:12
Sounds like I missed a good day :(

Done lots of sprints in the past myself & been to curborough as it was before the changes, the only issue I have with sprints in general is that you might only get 4 or 5 runs over the day.

Look forward to seeing some photos...

carol
19-06-2015, 17:18
Sounds like I missed a good day :(

Done lots of sprints in the past myself & been to curborough as it was before the changes, the only issue I have with sprints in general is that you might only get 4 or 5 runs over the day.

Look forward to seeing some photos...

Neil you could have had at least 12 runs in if you wanted or more , run untill the time reaches 5.30 pm, for £60
not sure how many Bob & Dave did, Bob put up the fastest time for the Strats

Jeff
19-06-2015, 19:41
I had a good day - apart from the long and slow haul home. First time I've ever "floored" the car .. it felt very quick (to me) .. managed to touch 90 on the straight section :eek:

Apparently the car sound like some sort of electric car while it's pottering about: rather quiet. It didn't sound like that from the inside.

Strat Fan
27-06-2015, 11:35
Pics from Curborough found HERE (http://www.motorpunk.co.uk/features/junes-sprint-series-report-supercars-and-whatever-the-plural-for-stratos-is/)
A good cross section of the 3 marques present, proof that Jeff did go round the course & a good one of Chris & Jane!
Oh yes, and Ian's ankle beads....

The Slug
28-06-2015, 12:56
Pics from Curborough found HERE (http://www.motorpunk.co.uk/features/junes-sprint-series-report-supercars-and-whatever-the-plural-for-stratos-is/)
A good cross section of the 3 marques present, proof that Jeff did go round the course & a good one of Chris & Jane!
Oh yes, and Ian's ankle beads....

Sticks and stones...lol

Strat Fan
28-06-2015, 14:48
Sticks and stones...lol
But whips & chains.....?

The Slug
01-07-2015, 13:37
The event was good for the Club generating more interest than any other event so far, well seen on line, and generating 502 people on line at the same time on the 18th....

We have some footage that is being looked at, and edited, (First time flyer so be nice!!!) and as soon as that is done I hope to either give you a link or get it on line here.

Thoses that went appeared to enjoy the day, relaxed and no pressure to do anything, Plenty of runs and the food was ok as well, it was good.

If we were to do it again would folk be interested?

Is this the way to get more people in cars for a fun event?
Would those with cars be happy to give FULL members a trip round the circuit as we did on Thursday? Passengers at there own risk....
let me know pls.

On the day Bob was the quickest by just 0.9 sec, and David was the most entertaining......!

You will see later what we mean, with his permission.......... heck we have the footage anyway...lol

Thanks to all that took part, and to those people that helped to run it, and those who just turned up on the day and found us, there was some really good photos taken, and freely given to the drivers.....that must be a first!!

turbonutter
01-07-2015, 18:27
The event was good for the Club generating more interest than any other event so far, well seen on line, and generating 502 people on line at the same time on the 18th....

We have some footage that is being looked at, and edited, (First time flyer so be nice!!!) and as soon as that is done I hope to either give you a link or get it on line here.

Thoses that went appeared to enjoy the day, relaxed and no pressure to do anything, Plenty of runs and the food was ok as well, it was good.

If we were to do it again would folk be interested?

Is this the way to get more people in cars for a fun event?
Would those with cars be happy to give FULL members a trip round the circuit as we did on Thursday? Passengers at there own risk....
let me know pls.

On the day Bob was the quickest by just 0.9 sec, and David was the most entertaining......!

You will see later what we mean, with his permission.......... heck we have the footage anyway...lol

Thanks to all that took part, and to those people that helped to run it, and those who just turned up on the day and found us, there was some really good photos taken, and freely given to the drivers.....that must be a first!!

For sure I would be intrested if we had another one - hopefully I will make it next time!

No problem to take members along for the ride!

I look forward to the video..

Jeff
02-07-2015, 07:35
For sure I would be intrested if we had another one - hopefully I will make it next time!

Ditto.

mel lewis
02-07-2015, 12:09
For sure I would be interested if we had another one - hopefully I will make it next time!

Ditto if not working or on Hols ???

Steve C
02-07-2015, 12:28
Ian

Now I, almost, have a car, I would be keen to attend a similar event.

Steve

mariner
02-07-2015, 20:33
Hi Ian,

It was a really good day so I would also be keen to attend a similar event.
A very laid back atmosphere but still well run plus the open pit lane style gave the chance of as many runs as wanted.
Would just need some advance notice so as not to clash with any other plans.

rgds Bob

The Slug
03-07-2015, 01:01
Thanks Folks will see what we can sort out for you.

turbonutter
14-09-2015, 22:35
OK So Spent the last Hour and a half In the Garage - The car needs spare parts to make it better & that just isnt going to happen before tomorrow, so sorry Guys no way I will be at Curborough :(:(..

Having Changed the Clutch Fluid Completely and Bled the Circuit, Still no gears with the engine running, But no problem to select them with the engine stopped.

Removed the cover from the Back of the flywheel & checked - yes the clutch is clearing, both plates are free. Tried gears again - no chance - Car Is on stands, so started the engine in gear & managed to go through all the gears reasonably well, but with some strange noise from the clutch...

Checked the Clutch disks with the engine stopped and in gear & clutch pressed & hey presto problem found - The clutch plate nearest to the flywheel is no longer connected to the gearbox input shaft. So either the input shaft spline or clutch plate spline is damaged or the hub has come detatched from the plate... Its not possible to see that unless I strip it all down, which is a good days job, so it will have to wait until I am back from work, as I am away again next week :(

Finally manage to get the engine out of the car to check the clutch.......

Nothing too serious wrong - the inner clutch plate was the wrong way round:(
I had had trouble getting the clutch plates aligned when I fitted the gearbox & had to remove and refit the clutch assembly a couple of times to be sure I had the alignment correct, of course the last ime it came off, I dropped the inner clutch plate and was focused on the spline alignment & missed the fact that the clutch plate was teh wrong way round.. Poor excuse, but its teh best I can come up with!

The Flywheel and Clutch cover are both OK. Both clutch discs are about half worn, cover plate is warped, so I just need a new cover plate, floater plate & 2 friction discs. I can also see that now the clutch plates are worn that the hub is just touching the flywheel bolt heads, so I need to take 0.2mm off of those to be sure there is no contact even with a fully worn out clutch.

LM mic
14-09-2015, 23:20
Hello Neil
this why when we received from new clutches (years ago !!!) we painted in red all center discs in order to be sure in case of disassembling on pits kickly a gearbox and clutch there was that red color to remind not to flip over badly the discs !!
Are your bolt heads enought thick to be machined without compromising stethness ?

turbonutter
14-09-2015, 23:52
Just been and looked at the bolts. I have some bolts (not fitted) with 6.6mm thick heads, the ones fitted now are 6.2mm , with a 0.5mm lip around the top, see picture. I dont think removing that would compomise strength.

LM mic
15-09-2015, 08:11
Yep that would be ok!!!!

turbonutter
03-10-2015, 16:54
In the end I just removed the washer!

Clutch is is very nice now and car is running again - no issues on the first drive to LB so time to get a few miles under the belt before winter sets in!

The Slug
01-04-2016, 00:56
So the Track has been booked for the 25th August.....Cost same as last year £60,
Plenty of runs as anyone will tell you who was there last time and limited amount of cars on the day

So who is going?

turbonutter
01-04-2016, 10:39
I should be home by then, so you can put me down��

Hopefully I make it this year!

The Slug
01-04-2016, 11:05
Better news this morning......

Cost is now £60

£30 non refundable deposit and £30 on the day.
Will let you know how to pay asap.
Enjoy

mariner
01-04-2016, 19:50
Hi Ian,

The date is fine for me so I'll be there again.

Thanks for arranging this.
rgds Bob

Cadami
01-04-2016, 22:28
Is the event open to non members?

The Slug
03-04-2016, 22:33
Cadami, Sure we wont get enough member to fill it, all they need is something interesting to drive and road legal.

turbonutter
15-05-2016, 13:07
Just Bob & myself signed up for this one - ----- any more fancy a play :cool:

Skelly
27-05-2016, 11:42
Where has the link gone to pay,

Skelly

The Slug
27-05-2016, 12:29
Where has the link gone to pay,

Skelly

Its here:

http://www.stratosec.com/Forum/showthread.php/3441-Track-Day-Curborough-Aug-2016

sprintandtrackday@hotmail.co.uk