We will be having a garage day Saturday 28th March 10:00hrs
coffee, chat, etc etc
NG25 0QP
open to all
cheers
Phil

Jeff
07-03-2015, 19:33
I'd just love to join you and the guys Phil, it's just a bit of a trip (especially if Im not actually driving the appropriate car) :(

Sando
09-03-2015, 09:17
Ayup me duck.
yep count me in.

Went out for a blast Sat and called in, but missed you.
did a nice lap of Notts :-)

Bernard
09-03-2015, 10:20
Ayup me duck.
yep count me in.

Went out for a blast Sat and called in, but missed you.
did a nice lap of Notts :-)

Was on mi way back from France duck !!

Sando
09-03-2015, 10:53
Aaah.... Cest la vie mon Canard.
hop yu ad a guud trip.

The Slug
09-03-2015, 12:03
It will be nice to drive up in the correct car this year...I hope..

ProtoTipo
09-03-2015, 12:29
Aaah.... Cest la vie mon Canard.
hop yu ad a guud trip.

Del One of my most favouritist meals is Duck à l'Orange, but I don't know how to say that in French.
Rodney It's canard.
Del You can say that again bruv!
Rodney No the French word for duck is canard.
Del Is it? I thought that was something to do with the QE2?
Rodney No that's Cunard. They're the ones with the boats and what have you. The French for duck is canard.
Del Right lovely jubbly. Right, so how do the French say à l'Orange then?
Rodney A l'Orange!

Bernard
09-03-2015, 13:32
del one of my most favouritist meals is duck à l'orange, but i don't know how to say that in french.
rodney it's canard.
del you can say that again bruv!
rodney no the french word for duck is canard.
del is it? I thought that was something to do with the qe2?
rodney no that's cunard. They're the ones with the boats and what have you. The french for duck is canard.
del right lovely jubbly. Right, so how do the french say à l'orange then?
rodney a l'orange!

excellent !

Stratie.fr
09-03-2015, 15:29
You said Canard à l'orange ...or Canard en orange ...or Canard orange!?! ;)

turbonutter
09-03-2015, 18:20
Sorry Cant make it, we will be mid pacific, or if the fog dosent clear up still here in Houston!

mel lewis
09-03-2015, 19:08
Sorry Cant make it, we will be mid pacific, or if the fog dosent clear up still here in Houston!

Ah those famous words " Houston we have a problem".....

goldtop
10-03-2015, 15:34
:( Another one that I'll have to miss! I'll be in Cuba.

Bernard
10-03-2015, 20:35
:( Another one that I'll have to miss! I'll be in Cuba.

I have fond memories of several Havana Clubs with a splash of CokaCola....
enjoy !!!!

tipo158
11-03-2015, 03:07

If you ever dock in Seattle, we can have a garage day at my place.

Corky

turbonutter
11-03-2015, 04:53
If you ever dock in Seattle, we can have a garage day at my place.

Corky

Back in the early 90's I did dock in Tacoma, so you never know its possible!

catswhiskers
11-03-2015, 17:14
Well not being one to miss out on free cake and coffee, I'm sure I'll find time to pop round to say hello. Thanks for the invite.
Mick

ironman523
12-03-2015, 11:20
Hi Phil,
Count me in as well thanks
Rob

carol
21-03-2015, 23:38
Sorry unable to do, we are at the NEC that weekend House restoration , thank you for the invite
carol & John

Picasso
26-03-2015, 11:00
Hi Phil,
Count me in as another interested party.
Thanks,
Paul.

Bernard
26-03-2015, 11:42
Ok Picasso... no problem....... could you paint my front room whilst you're here ?

Sorry must be me !

You will be most welcome....... off to buy cakes and coffee tomorrow

Guy Mayers
26-03-2015, 12:17
Hi Phil - If plans work out I think I'll be there too! I've even remembered to chuck Bobsters bits in the back of the car for him! I'm on a figure of eight tour of the country at the mo! Liverpool to Houghton Regis yesterday to have some work done on the Alfa, this evening/tomorrow morning across to see David Hanman in the West Country then Friday at Great Malvern with my sister and Saturday up to Nottingham before a blast home through the Peak District.

Cheers

Guy

Bernard
26-03-2015, 15:48
Sounds like a good tour Guy...... I'm sure Bobster will be pleased to see you if you have some greasy parts for him......... he get's excited easily !

Bernard
27-03-2015, 20:41
The biscuits,cakes, coffee etc are in stock....... See you tomorrow....wrap up warm!!!

jasonlycett
27-03-2015, 20:58
Hi there will be popping along too if thats ok ..cheers -

catswhiskers
28-03-2015, 19:26
Thanks again Phil for the usual hospitality. Nice to meet everyone and catch up with developments too.

Mick

jasonlycett
28-03-2015, 20:07
yep thanks for that phil , enjoyed mtg everyone and getting some great ideas on the forthcoming build

Sando
28-03-2015, 21:49
Cheers Phil
Great to see so many people out again
Bobster

Guy Mayers
28-03-2015, 22:05
Ditto!!

Getting the inspiration to get back in the garage and get back on with it!

Cheers

Guy

The Slug
29-03-2015, 03:05
Thanks Phil for the day and loved the biscuits....

Bernard
29-03-2015, 10:28
Glad you all enjoyed it... I did.....18 folks altogether I think

ProtoTipo
29-03-2015, 17:21
Thanks for everything Phil.

Aldi,... first choice for biscuits.

mel lewis
29-03-2015, 19:13
Glad you all enjoyed it... I did.....18 folks altogether I think

And even a foreigner !!!

Cheers Phil

Picasso
29-03-2015, 23:24
Hi Phil,
Thanks for Saturday's garage day.
It was nice to meet everyone and chat about builds.
Regards,
Paul.

Spartan
30-03-2015, 08:32
Sorry to have missed it, especially as I have now noticed you are only a stone's throw (via catapult) from the in-law's farm @ NG14 6NX. Next time?

Bernard
30-03-2015, 10:51
sorry to have missed it, especially as i have now noticed you are only a stone's throw (via catapult) from the in-law's farm @ ng14 6nx. Next time?

i drive by there to work !.......................... Toooooo close to miss !

Guy Mayers
05-04-2015, 20:28
Spoke to a few people about the issues I've been having following the strip, rewire and LHD conversion whilst at the garage day. Thanks to everyone for your input, I've been tearing what little hair I have left out for a while now and have been struggling to find time to focus on the car for 6 months now. The problem was that the car would start but needed throttle to keep it running and even then it was rough even when warm. Actually it had taken a while to get to even that stage with a completely new loom bar what was connected to the engine..... Mel suggested the IACV could be the cause, Chris Smith the wires at the temperature sender for the ECU feed. Phil and Rob suggested air leaks in the convoluted hoses.

Well hoses were the easiest to check and they are all in great condition, no splits or leaks to be seen.

The IACV valve was next, Mel said it should hum when switched on but it didn't. So I tried another one. Then another one and finally a fourth one. Nothing audible from any of them. So, check the wiring diagrams, identify the power and ground feeds and chucked a spare on a battery and it flipped open. Just like the other three. Checked the wiring on the spare test harness against the one in the car and everything matched nicely. So the culprit wasn't the IACV. And I have 3 good spares too so it'l never fail.

Whilst in the mood to check the loom I traced the coolant temperature sender wires to both the diagram and the spare loom and then checked the car. Identical and correct. Chris also suggested that there might be a break in the wire but the continuity test plus pulling and twisting the cables didn't have any effect. Sprayed some contact cleaner over the connections and the plug, let it dry but that had no effect.

Bald now.

Desperation was setting in and I was about to rip the engine harness off and put the spare one on to try that, jury rigging it but that would have been a day's work. Thought about it a little more. Tried a different ECU. Nothing. Except a slight smell of fuel. And a puddle. A big puddle. Oh crap!!!! Yup, split fuel line on the high pressure side. An hour later and it's all cleaned up and the garage aired. Down to Halfords for some new injector hose and replaced the split section and checked every inch of the rest of the hose which appears okay. Try again, this time there's enough pressure in the fuel rail to start the engine but still won't run right or tick over.

Easter weekend rapidly disappearing and mood getting worse.

One last thing to check before the loom gets swapped out. Sensors. I pulled a temperature sender off a spare thermostat housing and cleaned it up a little. Original Bosch one. Moved the fuel tank and pulled the old one out. Looked new, bright and shiny, a "Febi" aftermarket one. Then instantly regretted not pushing the car out of the garage to do it when I dropped the copper washer on the floor. More puddles, antifreeze this time. Eventually retrieved it, fitted the Bosch sensor, connected the wiring and tried again. Sorted.

Now I can move onto something else. At last.

Guy

ChrisCar6
05-04-2015, 21:55
That was a nightmare. At least it's in the past!

turbonutter
05-04-2015, 23:05
Hope you dont get too many problems like that!

Glad you got it sorted! And Glad I run an aftermarket ECU - much easier to find faulty sensors - lots of other disadvantages, but at least fault finding is easier!