PDA

View Full Version : Newsletter archive

NoCorseChris
10-11-2011, 15:31
Can't see reference to this anywhere (I did try a search).

Just wanted to say, well done Ian. What a fine idea to put them on here.

I seem to recall putting a lot of effort into creating the CD archive a few years back - great to see it being used and expanded on.

tipo158
10-11-2011, 16:10
They are at the bottom of the page on my computer when I look at the forum index.

The Slug
10-11-2011, 17:18
Can't see reference to this anywhere (I did try a search).

Just wanted to say, well done Ian. What a fine idea to put them on here.

I seem to recall putting a lot of effort into creating the CD archive a few years back - great to see it being used and expanded on.

Hi Chris,

Yes, used your cd to upload these, I had to really cos your cd's were to smart for me to work out....lol
No idea how you worked that search function out ....... but thanks to your efforts we have them here.

Sando
10-11-2011, 17:34
Good stuff now we have members only area its good to see them used - some good info in them

Rob

NoCorseChris
10-11-2011, 21:42
The search was pretty straightforward really - it ran a GREP across text-only versions of the NLs and returned hits, along with the issue reference it found the hits in, then offered a quick link to open that issue in the original PDF form. It's main failing was that I had to scan the early NLs and some of the OCR files I generated were a bit iffy at times due to quality issues.

Having them here is far more accessible.

The Slug
10-11-2011, 21:46
it ran a GREP across text-only versions of the NLs

Of Course it did...... obvious really.......

That would be like the big end thingy attached to the widget knuckle, turning a 1/4 turn bacwards...I think....!!
Know idea what you said but worked a treat all the same.....lol

peteracs
12-11-2011, 20:09
it ran a GREP across text-only versions of the NLs

Hi Chris

I sincereley hope your enthusiasm for UNIX command line stuff is the day job and the car interest is the hobby, would be seriously sad if the other way around in my view......

Peter

Jeff
12-11-2011, 21:33
Hi Chris

I sincerely hope your enthusiasm for UNIX command line stuff is the day job and the car interest is the hobby, would be seriously sad if the other way around in my view......

Peter

Oi!

I strongly resemble that statement .. Ermm .. perhaps that didn't come out the right way :o

Mind you, if I had a day job that meant I could play about with Stratos' and the like all the time I would be happy :D

NoCorseChris
16-11-2011, 13:00
Any enthusiasm I may once have had for computers and computing has long since been beaten out of me......apart from the fact I do rather like my new iMac. It works, and I don't have to dick about with it.

peteracs
16-11-2011, 16:11
Any enthusiasm I may once have had for computers and computing has long since been beaten out of me......apart from the fact I do rather like my new iMac. It works, and I don't have to dick about with it.

Hi Chris

I can completely sympathise with you on that, spent more than 30 years in the computer industry and will be more than happy to say goodbye when I finally wrap up.

Peter

NoCorseChris
17-11-2011, 09:44
It wouldn't be so bad if I was actually in that business! I'm a Broadcast Engineer....when I started, it was all decidedly analogue. Nowadays, there's virtually (!) nothing that's not either computer controlled or entirely computer based.

Computing used to be a hobby.....not any more.

peteracs
17-11-2011, 10:04
It wouldn't be so bad if I was actually in that business! I'm a Broadcast Engineer....when I started, it was all decidedly analogue. Nowadays, there's virtually (!) nothing that's not either computer controlled or entirely computer based.

Computing used to be a hobby.....not any more.

Hi Chris

Yes, it did sort of creep up up on large number of areas in the 80s & 90s and many folk suddenly had to become computer savvy overnight just to carry on with their job. Quite a culture shock for many. I was never into it as a hobby or gaming either, maybe having it as my day job, by the time you got home enough was most definitely enough.

Peter