PDA

View Full Version : WANTED. 166 V6 3.0 solid flywheel and clutch

NoCorseChris
10-04-2015, 18:04
As per title. Tried to do this in Buy & Sell but it only seems to support 'Sell'??

Anyhoo, I'm in the throws of preparing for another build, although not a Strat this time is is going to be 166 V6 powered. This time round, it's going to be as cheap as I can possibly manage, stock everything as far as possible. No gratuitous engine rebuilds, no superchargers, no aftermarket ECU, no A/C (or even carpets).

TFL

The Slug
10-04-2015, 19:15
Chris now it supports Wanted as well.

Thanks for pointing it out.

NoCorseChris
10-04-2015, 20:39
Many thanks Ian. I'd spotted a few 'wanteds' in the forum section so put mine there after failing in the B&S but confess it didn't feel quite right. What I should of done of course would have been to contact you and ask! Apologies for not doing that.

Cheers
Chris

red5
10-04-2015, 22:01
Chris
If it's a 166 dual mass flywheel and clutch you're after, I have one sat on my garage floor.
Let me know.
Cheers Nick

turbonutter
10-04-2015, 23:08
I have a 164 24V flywheel at home, that should work...

The Slug
10-04-2015, 23:34
Many thanks Ian. I'd spotted a few 'wanteds' in the forum section so put mine there after failing in the B&S but confess it didn't feel quite right. What I should of done of course would have been to contact you and ask! Apologies for not doing that.

Cheers
Chris

No apologies needed Chris if it's not doing what the members need the we change it till it does..

NoCorseChris
11-04-2015, 08:20
Thanks chaps.

Nick, thank you, but I was wanting to get away from the DMF as well! Nothing fundamentally wrong with them I don't think in that they work, just that they are so damn expensive to replace. The donor I am buying is probably close to wanting a new DMF I'd guess, so I figured going solid would be the thing to do. If the DMF setup you have is in good condition though, i could be tempted if it's cheap?

Neil, I suspected you might have something in stock, hence the email, but you know me and my impatience ;) A thought, the 164 FW won't have the crank trigger teeth on it will it. Is it possible to transfer the bits from a DMF to a plain FW? I don't want to get into swapping the front cover/pulley etc, this needs to stay stock....

turbonutter
11-04-2015, 11:01
The 164 flywheel I have dosent have the trigger wheel incorporated, IIRC its a bolt on part, that fits in a recess in the DMF flywheel, so the flywheel I have would need some machining to fit the trigger wheel.... cant be 100% sure though as I am a good few thousand miles away from the flywheel at present :). Spare DMF flywheel might be the way to go, especially as you ar enot after out and out performance!

red5
11-04-2015, 12:25
Ive had a look this morning and I have the flywheel but don't have the clutch parts, guess I must have ditched them when I was having a clear out prior to my chassis arriving.

It looks in good condition, the car it came from was a 3.0 166 and had only covered 62,00 miles.

Its no use to me, if its any use for you and you can collect, you can have it for a 4 pack of Stella:p

NoCorseChris
11-04-2015, 17:44
The 164 flywheel I have dosent have the trigger wheel incorporated, IIRC its a bolt on part, that fits in a recess in the DMF flywheel, so the flywheel I have would need some machining to fit the trigger wheel.... cant be 100% sure though as I am a good few thousand miles away from the flywheel at present :). Spare DMF flywheel might be the way to go, especially as you ar enot after out and out performance!

I was thinking the same Neil - the donor I've got is at 100k now and still fine AFAIK, but while it's out and no doubt partially stripped for cleaning/tarting up then a new(er) DMF is the simpler option. There's also the option to weld the DMF up then fit a sprung friction plate. As you say, I'll not be looking to ultimate performance so whichever is cheapest will do for me. Don't really want to be spending £300-£400 on the GTA flywheel & clutch kit on this project. That trigger looks cast in to the DMF looking at Nicks picture.

Ive had a look this morning and I have the flywheel but don't have the clutch parts, guess I must have ditched them when I was having a clear out prior to my chassis arriving.

It looks in good condition, the car it came from was a 3.0 166 and had only covered 62,00 miles.

Its no use to me, if its any use for you and you can collect, you can have it for a 4 pack of Stella:p

Nick, thank you for looking it out and taking the pics. Good of you. Yes please, I'll grab that if I may. Don't know when I'll next be in your neck of the woods though - are you OK to hang on to it for a bit for me?

turbonutter
11-04-2015, 18:22
Hi Chris,
Pretty sure my 164 flywheel is without any trigger pattern, & as such will have the material missing for balancing, so no way to fit the trigger ring.

Some triggers are bolted on, this is the DMF flywheel i sent to ttv when they made my new flywheel - Definately a bolt on type....

turbonutter
11-04-2015, 18:31
There is a GTA flywheel on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GTA-flywheel-/251896828096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa63890c0) or Here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-156-147-166-2-5-3-0-3-2-V6-Solid-flywheel-With-Bolts-/231354388088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ddcbce78) or Flywheel & clutch (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-166-2-5-3-0-V6-Solid-flywheel-Conversion-Kit-With-Bolts-Clutch-/231482276452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e56b3a64) but as you said you didnt want the expense.....

red5
11-04-2015, 20:30
Nick, thank you for looking it out and taking the pics. Good of you. Yes please, I'll grab that if I may. Don't know when I'll next be in your neck of the woods though - are you OK to hang on to it for a bit for me?

No problem hanging on to it, if you want it just message me when you want to pick it up, I'm in Kegworth just north of Loughborough
Cheers

NoCorseChris
11-04-2015, 23:06
There is a GTA flywheel on ebay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GTA-flywheel-/251896828096?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item3aa63890c0) or Here (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-156-147-166-2-5-3-0-3-2-V6-Solid-flywheel-With-Bolts-/231354388088?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35ddcbce78) or Flywheel & clutch (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Alfa-Romeo-GTV-166-2-5-3-0-V6-Solid-flywheel-Conversion-Kit-With-Bolts-Clutch-/231482276452?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35e56b3a64) but as you said you didnt want the expense.....

...that's half my suspension budget... :) Well, probably not, but I am really trying to do this one on a budget this time. Interesting variation in the DMFs isn't it. Maybe as yours was a GTA it was different? Be interesting to see what the unit on the donor looks like when I get into it. I never saw any signs of triggers on 164 flywheels - they were all at the other end weren't they.

A new DMF is absurdly expensive so if it comes to it, I'll have to convert...just trying to see if I can do it on the cheap!

No problem hanging on to it, if you want it just message me when you want to pick it up, I'm in Kegworth just north of Loughborough
Cheers Many thanks Nick - will do.

turbonutter
11-04-2015, 23:46
...that's half my suspension budget... :) Well, probably not, but I am really trying to do this one on a budget this time. Interesting variation in the DMFs isn't it. Maybe as yours was a GTA it was different? Be interesting to see what the unit on the donor looks like when I get into it. I never saw any signs of triggers on 164 flywheels - they were all at the other end weren't they.

A new DMF is absurdly expensive so if it comes to it, I'll have to convert...just trying to see if I can do it on the cheap!

Many thanks Nick - will do.

I thought the flywheels would be over your budget! The one for £120 isnt a bad price though if anyone else is looking....

Not sure what engine the DMF I had was off, I think it was a late 164. It came from JH's stock of usefull parts, as my GTA engine was missing the flywheel when i got it.. (GTA's dont have DMF's anyway do they!).

NoCorseChris
12-04-2015, 09:42
Plonker I am...of course the GTA is a solid flywheel. Didn't realise they started fitting DMFs that early, but then it's not a topic I've ever had much interest in until now, bit like DPFs too....another "good idea".

That £120 one isn't too bad, clutch kit can be had for £130, plus some crank bolts.

NoCorseChris
21-04-2015, 13:21
Cheers

Nick, I've weakened and bought a solid FW so won't be needing that DMF now. Thank you for the offer though, jolly decent of you.

Might be worth offering it on ebay? It's a tricky one - they are flippin' expensive new, so a good used one has to be worth something....but who would want to risk having a used one fitted given all the labour involved?

red5
22-04-2015, 10:51
Nick, I've weakened and bought a solid FW so won't be needing that DMF now. Thank you for the offer though, jolly decent of you.

Might be worth offering it on ebay? It's a tricky one - they are flippin' expensive new, so a good used one has to be worth something....but who would want to risk having a used one fitted given all the labour involved?

No worries Chris, Ill keep it as a paper weight! Thanks for letting me know..

NoCorseChris
23-04-2015, 10:49
I can see this 'budget build' thing is going to b something of a challenge for me.....

On the bright side, I've figured out how to make use of the 166 instrument cluster. Tacho, temp & fuel are going to 'just work' as I'll be using the matching parts of course, speedo just needs a roughly 7 pulses per turn of the wheel signal. Depending on what wheels & tyres I go for, it looks like an MX5 ABS hub will work out pretty well, just need to divide the raw ABS signal by 6 and job done.