PDA

View Full Version : U.S. dol hs-7 form

monoposto
21-04-2015, 03:30
For those who have imported their kit. What box did you check for the hs-7 form? My broker isn't sure as they have not done many kit cars. Trying to avoid an inspection at all costs...

Any help would be appreciated or even information to get me to the information I need Would be great!

Thanks

Paul
21-04-2015, 08:23
I checked box 2.a on that form, and explicitly listed the few parts that were required to be DOT compliant with the relevant markings (lights, windshield). My shipment was inspected, but no issues apart from a set of used tires I also included - turns out these had to be reviewed by dept of agriculture (in case if disease from dirt picked up on dirty roads overseas!!). Eventually got them through once the additional paperwork was completed.

tipo158
21-04-2015, 16:40
Which broker are you using?? Didn't I recommend one to you who has done this in the past?

monoposto
22-04-2015, 22:16
Thanks Paul, I was hoping you would chime in. Did you list anything other than lights and windshield? Do I need to make notes of anything specific about them?

Yes, Corky, he unfortunately flaked on me and won't call me back nor respond to emails. I only asked for a quote and what he needed from me, but apparently it was too hard a task.

Thanks for the replies.

Paul
23-04-2015, 00:04
I listed lights, windshield and tires. All had DOT markings on them, but as explained, I ended up having to jump through additional hoops because of the tires. Here're the rules governing what's subject to FMVSS (federal motor vehicle safety standards):

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/FAQ%20Site/pages/page2.html#Anchor-10-55977

See section 10. for details on a disassembled vehicle.

You could of course declare it as a race-car, in which case none of that applies, but I didn't do that because, although I couldn't see how it might affect anything, I didn't want to risk any complications when I went to register the car for road use later. In any case, after much worrying and research, it all turned out to be no big deal in the end.

PM me with your private email and I'll send you some more info

tipo158
23-04-2015, 14:32
Sorry about that, he seemed like a great guy, maybe he helped me because we both used to work for the same customs broker (at different times). So many things have changed since I was a broker that I wouldn't begin to give advise since it would probably be wrong.

Corky

bosmass
23-04-2015, 20:06
I second what Paul has recommended. It all worked out fine . I had my tires shipped seperate though. Turns out the place I bought them from had them with free shipping anyway.

monoposto
24-04-2015, 00:38
Thanks guys, I really appreciate this.

Corky, no worries it happens. I just seem to keep attracting flaky customs brokers is all. I am using coppersmith global logistics btw. The little beginner guide on the port of seattles website gives a list of recommended brokers, and then some who are good at dealing with first timers. So, I chose the first one I saw and went to meet them at their offices.

tipo158
24-04-2015, 02:37
Great, let me know when it gets here. Since there is no longer a strike, your's will probably get here faster then mine did.

bosmass
24-04-2015, 14:37
So I don't recall if you mentioned it, but is it a rolling kit sans engine and trans.

monoposto
24-04-2015, 21:31
Correct bosmass. I'm using a 12V 164 drivetrain Which is sitting in the shop.