PDA

View Full Version : Jacking points over Axel stands

davehanman
11-05-2015, 07:30
what are those two drain-pipes sticking out from the sill used for ?

turbonutter
11-05-2015, 08:03

Thats an easy one ..... They are jacking points....

Allora#2
11-05-2015, 08:54
yes really a good replica!
i love the jacking mount solution! on the LB.
Enzo

NoCorseChris
11-05-2015, 10:04
According to Wikipedia, a 'Vintage Car' is from the period 1919-1930. 'Classic' would be more appropriate for the press report, but just as wrong. As Craig pointed out, the official press release was accurate. Can never expect the press to be accurate about anything.

Car looks superb Craig, nice one!

strat24v
11-05-2015, 10:54

Many an original stratos had a pair, one either side. These days the positions are used for chassis stands.

davehanman
12-05-2015, 12:12
Many an original stratos had a pair, one either side. These days the positions are used for chassis stands.

Are you sure she won't do a "wheelie" with stands in those positions ?

strat24v
12-05-2015, 12:28
WorksWorks ok on Perez's car, think the Lb carries a bit more weight up front.

The Slug
12-05-2015, 16:33
Are you sure she won't do a "wheelie" with stands in those positions ?

Out of interest, where are they on your car David? or are they not fitted?

davehanman
12-05-2015, 19:27
Out of interest, where are they on your car David? or are they not fitted?

In the same position, Ian, though i definitely wouldn't lift the car from both sides at the same time
FYI a modified Porsche 356/ VW Bilstein quick-lift jack with a longer shaft was used

Strat Fan
12-05-2015, 19:56
The two things are completely different entities.
Davids genuine car will have jacking points fitted into the sills as per this picture
These are a square section tube which is most likely located slightly farther forward, closer to the balance point of the chassis which accepts a jack which has a square peg, the positive location of a square within a square will help prevent the jack twisting & the car rolling forward whilst it is lifted off of the ground. In this scenario you would lift one side of the car off the ground first to change the wheels on that side before swapping & lifting the second side independently. So no, you wouldn't lift both side of the car at the same time using these points
Sill stands are a totally different entity where the stands are located into round tubes & used as pairs which allows either end of the car to be lifted independently of the other using a trolley jack as the lifting device. In this case the rear of the car could be lifted first & then because the mounts are tubular thus allowing the car to rotate around them then the front of the car can then also be lifted to the same height. In this case the rear mounts are farther back than the balance point to prevent the car tipping backwards as suggested earlier. See this pic of the Perez car for reference.

The Slug
12-05-2015, 23:25
A neat idea Craig..

Not a million miles in distance between the two pics to my eyes at least, from jacking point to the sill stands.

David
Thanks for the info on the jack as well

davehanman
13-05-2015, 10:50
Looks like Perez has done his maths ! Those chassis stands have a wide base that takes the load back.
I guess back in the '70's they didn't have the facilities that they do now so they did it like this:

I was a bit worried that with the extra bodies on the rear end, it might tip up !

The photo is courtesy of Ron Pellat (whose wellies are sticking out the right). Ron was the chief mechanic at Chequered flag back in the day and is also doing some work on my Safari car.

john
13-05-2015, 13:14
Some things haven't changed.
There's a lady there with her arms folded supervising the fellas!!

Bernard
13-05-2015, 13:29
some things haven't changed.
There's a lady there with her arms folded supervising the fellas!!............................. Some of us need supervising john !

davehanman
13-05-2015, 13:51
Some things haven't changed.
There's a lady there with her arms folded supervising the fellas!!

I do see Sandro Munari in a similar pose in the background !

Bernard
13-05-2015, 14:17
A couple of clips of Erik Comas on the Sanremo Historic 2015 in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAGHU_GaDik (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAGHU_GaDik)

ProtoTipo
13-05-2015, 14:33
I do see Sandro Munari in a similar pose in the background !

'Think it's Silvio Maiga David?:
http://www.zwischengas.com/assets/0104aa65-bd56-4e5f-9755-d18ce576ff1c-big-teaser.jpg

'Might be Munari with the flat cap?

strat24v
13-05-2015, 15:09
MunariMunari would be resting in the hospitality unit....

StruanR
13-05-2015, 18:38
Mine, jacked up, both wheels off the ground....
:rolleyes:
Struan

davehanman
14-05-2015, 04:06
Mine, jacked up, both wheels off the ground....
:rolleyes:
Struan

What happens if you take the back off and stand on the out-riggers !

davehanman
14-05-2015, 04:07
'Think it's Silvio Maiga David?:
http://www.zwischengas.com/assets/0104aa65-bd56-4e5f-9755-d18ce576ff1c-big-teaser.jpg

'Might be Munari with the flat cap?

That must be SilviA Maiga then, taking into account the posturing !

ProtoTipo
14-05-2015, 08:01
This comparison illustrates the loss of the endurance element to rallying:On the hoof servicing in a layby, trolly jack, people clambering all over the car with everything stretched to the limit. Or..Awnings, sill stands, ground sheet, floodlights, huge service lorry.

StruanR
14-05-2015, 09:06
What happens if you take the back off and stand on the out-riggers !

Yes I wouldn't try that!
Adequate and functional to change wheels, but not for anything more extensive ...
Best used on relatively level ground too, other wheels chocked, but who worries about health and safety....? :rolleyes:
Struan

john
14-05-2015, 11:04
Nice one Ian.
We are all guilty of going off topic and hijacking threads.
Must be our short attention span......
Anyway, what was I saying?

Stratie.fr
14-05-2015, 14:17
A couple of clips of Erik Comas on the Sanremo Historic 2015 in this vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAGHU_GaDik (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAGHU_GaDik)

Sorry for hijacking this thread too !! ... But itĀ“s great to see Lancia 037 Delta integrale or ErikĀ“stratos on Sanremo Classic!

here another highlights of this event http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2mudor

Bernard
14-05-2015, 14:36
http://www.ewrc-results.com/final.php?e=20813&t=Sanremo-Rally-Storico-2015

should this be another thread Ian ?........... just conscious of hijacking LB/Harrods thread

Stratie.fr
14-05-2015, 16:43
After hijacking and for coming back to high jacking points thread I remember this picture seen on Lanciastratos.com
Not easy to have maintenance or repair car on road during rallies (here on RAC)
This required agility and sense of balance for the mechanics!

mel lewis
14-05-2015, 17:12
This comparison illustrates the loss of the endurance element to rallying:

On the hoof servicing in a layby, trolly jack, people clambering all over the car with everything stretched to the limit. Or..
Awnings, sill stands, ground sheet, floodlights, huge service lorry.

I think its the whole picture of Rallying as we knew it, taking whatever is thrown at you on the chin. "Blind" Rallying is now lost to the modern "Forest Racing" which in my opinion is crap, Pace notes, DVDs and practice have taken away the excitement of blind crests, adverse cambers, fire breaks etc etc all the curved ball that are thrown at you when driving flat out down a road that you THINK you know !!!!........AH the joys of real Rallying

davehanman
14-05-2015, 17:57
I think its the whole picture of Rallying as we knew it, taking whatever is thrown at you on the chin. "Blind" Rallying is now lost to the modern "Forest Racing" which in my opinion is crap, Pace notes, DVDs and practice have taken away the excitement of blind crests, adverse cambers, fire breaks etc etc all the curved ball that are thrown at you when driving flat out down a road that you THINK you know !!!!........AH the joys of real Rallying

Right on Mel - on that subject & hijacking the thread once again, I managed to get hold of a copy of the team roadbook of the 1975 RAC, covering the entire route with all the service stop locations - parts of it might make a good club run at some point.

davehanman
14-05-2015, 18:05
This is the sort of info that's in there, I'm currently trying to get hold of the specified OS maps to plot the route.

The Slug
14-05-2015, 19:18
http://www.ewrc-results.com/final.php?e=20813&t=Sanremo-Rally-Storico-2015

should this be another thread Ian ?........... just conscious of hijacking LB/Harrods thread

Hello Phil,

Thanks for the recommendation.

I moved and created a new thread yesterday for this topic, it's just the title that is misleading the people who think they are still hijacking the same thread.

Still it's intrasting how many times you can get the word hi-jack into a post before the men in black start to look into what your doing in real life !!!!!

ProtoTipo
15-05-2015, 07:17
Frederic's photo is a slightly different but wider view of the earlier post.
So it was Munari wearing the flat cap?

I guess we have to make the best of rallying and motorsport in general the way it is now?
At least we've not got a battery powered rally championship yet?

Guy Mayers
15-05-2015, 08:28
And did you notice the Beta saloon service barge in the background in matching colours? Strange that it has a tailgate...

davehanman
15-05-2015, 14:32
And did you notice the Beta saloon service barge in the background in matching colours? Strange that it has a tailgate...

Gerry told me that those Beta's weren't quite barges - Lancia issued stock-looking Betas with pretty-much works-spec running gear to get quickly between the stages ...........

ProtoTipo
15-05-2015, 16:05
Gerry told me that those Beta's weren't quite barges - Lancia issued stock-looking Betas with pretty-much works-spec running gear to get quickly between the stages ...........

'Sounds like similar thinking to the chase Avengers for the works Sunbeams?
There were two built with 2.2 Lotus engines, ZF boxes and Salisbury rear axles.
The one in this photo still exists, and the owner bought a copy of this photo from me.

Guy Mayers
15-05-2015, 17:57

I'd love to have one but I suspect they're long gone. I mentioned them to the Betaboyz/Lancia chairman a couple of years ago and he'd never heard of a 5 door Beta and was very surprised to see this pic and others clearly showing a very modified couple of Beta Saloons.

Guy