PDA

View Full Version : New member from Peterborough

Andrew Peterborough
22-05-2015, 15:53
Hello everyone. I have my name on the list for a Lister Bell, deposit paid etc and now waiting!

The Lister Bell choice was easy for me. I like good engineering.

I intend to build the car as an out and out competition car. My background before horses (singular and with legs and a long story) is in rallying. In particular tarmac events. so you can see where this is going!

So, with a while ahead before anything arrives I have to resolve a couple of dilemma's... Alfa or Toyota engine. My preference would be Toyota but they are a little rare in the UK to say the least and as I would probably want two
its even worse. The gearbox is a relatively easy choice, MR2 Turbo with a Quaife LSD. At least that is where my head is at present!

Anyway, I look forward to the journey with you all and thank you in advance for the help and guidance I will seek.

Andrew

The Slug
22-05-2015, 16:20
Alfa engine whilst Italian, are in my opinion old and heavy for the standard power they give, yes you can tune them, look at Neils, where as the toyota has a bucket of horses straight out of the box, not stressed and can be tuned if needed.
I guess you need to know what class you can compete in and are there any restrictions, that may answer the question for you or point in a new direction.

Whichever way you go it will be good to watch as it progresses.

All the best and Welcome to the club

Ian

STR_Strat
22-05-2015, 19:41
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to the forum, I am sure you will be very happy with the ListerBell. I know I am, look forward to meeting up at some point.

Dave

john
22-05-2015, 20:29
Yes indeed, welcome Andrew.
I've been convinced for a long time that an appreciation of good engineering is going to attract buyers to ListerBell.
Good choice. Keep us posted as you go along.

strat24v
22-05-2015, 22:18
Toyota engine is the way to go. If you want a similar output from an Alfa, you'll be looking around the 10k mark. The off the shelf supercharger kit for the Toyota would be nice too. Be even nicer if whipple made one to bolt on.

turbonutter
22-05-2015, 23:58
I would go with the Toyota engine and if you have the budget a nice sequential box from DJM motorsport and a pneumatic paddle shift! But that's just me :)

Jeff
23-05-2015, 13:45
Welcome to the club. All the best with the build, though starting with a LB means you've already made a good start.

Regards Jeff.

threep
24-05-2015, 02:26
Welcome Andrew. If you want to compete with it then I'd say the Toyota route is the best one, it's got to offer the most reliable power/£.

Fingers
24-05-2015, 07:49
Welcome along. Have you thought of importing the Toyota engine from Japan? It's done a lot down here, but there are a lot of cars imported into NZ from Japan every month. I know people that have bought in engines or just the front halves of cars, it can work out quite cheap. Have a look here http://www.tau-trade.com/gen/TopPage.do a friend of mine works at the Tau NZ agent and others I know have used them.

Redline
24-05-2015, 10:52
Andrew,

for Stage Rallying, be aware of engine sizes. My copy of 'RACMSA Specific Regulations for Rallying (H)' shows the following

Mark

Andrew Peterborough
24-05-2015, 15:13
Mark, the blue book is interesting and does ask a question regarding the maximum permitted engine sizes. I am relying on:

48.2.6. With the exception of cars accepted under 46.3,a car may be fitted with a different engine, notexceeding 25% increase of the capacity of the model,when it was supplied as original equipment by itsmanufacturer.

I am the member of another forum (BMW Rallying) where this subject has also been raised and clarification sought from the MSA who say that provided the engine is no more than 25% larger than the maximum size fitted by the manufacturer then
it will be acceptable. The premise here is Lister Bell (as a manufacturer) offer a range of engines including the Toyota engine which would suggest we could go to 3.5L + 25%. I will seek clarification myself from the MSA and post the response here once received.

It would be a bad day to present the car for its log book and not get it!

Andrew

Andrew Peterborough
24-05-2015, 15:15
Ian, thank you. In my head it is Toyota all the way providing I can get my hands on one (or two).

Andrew

Andrew Peterborough
24-05-2015, 15:21
I am beginning to broaden my horizons and look the possibility of importing possibly from the USA. A similar service is available to buy just a front end of something. Would solve the issue of an engine loom.

Andrew

ProtoTipo
24-05-2015, 15:38
I've found a donor:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2009-LOTUS-EVORA-3-5-VVT-i-V6-2-2-SALVAGE-CAT-D-EASY-EASY-FIX-/221743277941?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item33a0ede775

Andrew Peterborough
24-05-2015, 15:53
I am already divorced! I can imagine the "discussion" with my partner....Darling (try and sweeten the conversation)...I have just spent £20k on a Lotus Evora as a donor for the Lister Bell.... Howling silence follows.......
I could add "its ok, I can get an age related plate"......

Fingers
24-05-2015, 22:19
It's a shame you're not down this way, those engines are absolutely everywhere.

I'm sure a front cut from Japan would be worth investigating, and probably cheaper than you think.