PDA

View Full Version : Mould tool

strat24v
06-06-2015, 15:28
Been looking for a cylinder, approx 1.5 inches dia with a domed end to use as a former. Looked all over for something suitable then thought ah, il try the trusty supermarket, they've always got things to make moulds from. Finally found the perfect thing, a bottle of durex intimate play and massage lubricant!

Bernard
06-06-2015, 20:39
Been looking for a cylinder, approx 1.5 inches dia with a domed end to use as a former. Looked all over for something suitable then thought ah, il try the trusty supermarket, they've always got things to make moulds from. Finally found the perfect thing, a bottle of durex intimate play and massage lubricant!

We ALL know the shelves that you frequent John.........lol

Picasso
07-06-2015, 12:27
If this is a mould for a gear knob, it may become the topic of many conversations and comparisons.

colin artus
07-06-2015, 13:42
You can use the contents as a release agent..

strat24v
07-06-2015, 19:24
Mr Picasso, have to clearly state that I am not making a mould for a knob!
Colin, I'm sure il find a few uses for said contents but the only one I can think of at the moment is to lube the flaps on our lasses back door so Dillon the pooch doesnt get his head stuck next time he tries to squeeze himself in.

colin artus
07-06-2015, 21:02
Is that innocent or absolutely disgusting, I can't tell.

strat24v
07-06-2015, 21:42
Innocent!

ProtoTipo
08-06-2015, 10:00
the only one I can think of at the moment is to lube the flaps on our lasses back door so Dillon the pooch doesnt get his head stuck next time he tries to squeeze himself in.

I put it to you Mr. Hinchliffe, that this 'Dillon' animal of which you speak, does not in fact exist.
Further more, you have dreamed up this scenario for the simple purpose of stringing together a list of double entendres?

john
08-06-2015, 10:41
I concur with my honorable friend Justice Jarvis...

Guy Mayers
08-06-2015, 13:27
And the jury result is a unanimous guilty verdict. ;)

ProtoTipo
03-04-2019, 14:05
'Talking about release agents;
Can someone recommend a trusted mould release for a small (grp) project?

Thanks for any help.

gtmpaul
03-04-2019, 16:26
meguiars mirror glaze release wax
There are others but I use this.

Longtimefan
03-04-2019, 16:40
Chris, seeing your post, i went along to see my Fibre Glass moulder tenant to ask his advice, and he suggested a product, the tin of which I have taken a photo of and will try to attach.

And whats more, he has given me the tin with a small amount in, which I shall bring to Uncle Phil's on Saturday.

Strat Fan
03-04-2019, 19:58
Are you moulding or releasing from a mould?
What finish are you after?
What finish has the pattern/mould got?
Honey wax or PVA, or both depending on the application.

ProtoTipo
04-04-2019, 07:28
Are you moulding or releasing from a mould?
What finish are you after?
What finish has the pattern/mould got?
Honey wax or PVA, or both depending on the application.

Thanks Craig, Paul, Robin,
Craig, It's to make the 'male' side of that press tool (to press thin 0.5mm embossed alloy plate 460mm x 230mm).
I have already made a 'first effort' which I now know I can perfect.
In the process of that, I used the remnants of an old 'Back to Black' aerosol, which worked to a degree, but not as good as it could have been.
Robin, that's kind of you, thanks.

john
04-04-2019, 08:24
Sounds like a one off use then Chris?
PVA has never failed for me.
I'm no expert but I think waxes are more for moulds you are going to use repeatedly, where you can build up a decent thickness of release agent to a high finish.
PVA has been quite forgiving for me.
Bear in mind though it's a different PVA than the White glue used for woodwork. Using that might have the opposite effect desired!
It's blue and sort of smells a bit like french polish.

ProtoTipo
04-04-2019, 09:41
Sounds like a one off use then Chris?
PVA has never failed for me.
I'm no expert but I think waxes are more for moulds you are going to use repeatedly, where you can build up a decent thickness of release agent to a high finish.
PVA has been quite forgiving for me.
Bear in mind though it's a different PVA than the White glue used for woodwork. Using that might have the opposite effect desired!
It's blue and sort of smells a bit like french polish.

Thanks John,
Yes, it's a one off job, and not for the production of any fibreglass parts.

ProtoTipo
22-04-2019, 09:32
Thanks to John D., Craig and Paul.
I used Robin's tin of wax and some PVA (is it always blue coloured?).
Anyhow, it worked, and I've got a much much better grp side of the press tool this time.

'Will update at the next stage.